DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would any mini user recommend to buy the dronelink

Nork

Reactions
I am considering to buy the dronelink for my mini. But I am not sure that if i could do everything only with my iPhone or do I need to use a computer and down load the prepared motions into the iPhone.

Reactions: egoldy
you can use the web app on phone but the experience is best on pc. But be aware that perhaps your phone is not capable to properly handle the dronelink. Sadly they are not giving any specs about hardware compatibility expept a: "buy an iphone X". My opinion is that they rush to catch the mavic mini market with the new SDK but these are serious safety issues :( I dont regret the 20$ if i had not pay i could not know that is a scam (for MM).

Only been playing around with DroneLink using my iPhone XR for the last 2 days, but so far it's definitely worth the $20. First mission (a simple orbit) I ran without using a computer (just did it on the fly using the app on the phone). There's definitely a learning curve (for me anyways) but I'm hoping to be able to use it to make up for some of the Mini's missing features. Since there's no active tracking feature, the next best thing would be to at least have the drone follow a pre-programmed course and then I can follow it (skiing, biking, driving, etc) and get almost the same end result.

"
Only been playing around with DroneLink using my iPhone XR for the last 2 days, but so far it's definitely worth the $20. First mission (a simple orbit) I ran without using a computer (just did it on the fly using the app on the phone). There's definitely a learning curve (for me anyways) but I'm hoping to be able to use it to make up for some of the Mini's missing features. Since there's no active tracking feature, the next best thing would be to at least have the drone follow a pre-programmed course and then I can follow it (skiing, biking, driving, etc) and get almost the same end result.
be aware that if you loose signal (say while in the car and the MM behind you) it will go to RTH mode and it will return to your (abandoned) home point.

I’ve just bought Dronelink but waiting for me tech friend to come and help me set it up for my MM.
After this I will do some test flights and post my findings.

I think it is reasonable to give the developer some time to code the accompanying IOS/Android software, given that DJI only days ago released the SDK (needed for them to start this process for the MM). I also spent $20.00 in the hopes that they do add missing functionality soon. The android app downloads directly from the vendor (not thru the play store) and has a clean interface. Have NOT yet flown with it due to WX here.

MM represents a good target market/vertical for these software companies to pursue, if only from the standpoint that most MM users will in the near term trade up or add to their drone fleets and purchase other more advanced platforms when they do.

Last edited:
I'm keen on what Dronelink promises myself so I will watch this thread with interest. They cannot be relying on the recent SDK release as there is a youtube video they have posted demonstrating a full flight plan with the mini which they claim has been exhaustively tested. Looks very good too!

Developers say a follow me function is entirely doable. With so many new customers among MM owners I would expect this will be a much-requested feature and hopefully get priority. One issue that has arisen is jerkiness in the circle function, particularly tight circles with higher speeds. Command latency is a factor, as is running the app on less-capable mobile devices. It’s unclear right now how “fixable” this is or what minimum parameters are recommended.

I was disappointed with the roughness of the point-of-interest tracking in my first tests, but I'm hoping to do some more testing today to see if simpler paths and slower speeds help. But overall, I think it's a really nice app that I plan to use a lot, and well worth the price.

One enhancement I would really, really, really like to see: The ability to point the camera manually while Dronelink flies the path, like the native RTH -- now that would be awesome.

I was disappointed with the roughness of the point-of-interest tracking in my first tests, but I'm hoping to do some more testing today to see if simpler paths and slower speeds help. But overall, I think it's a really nice app that I plan to use a lot, and well worth the price.

One enhancement I would really, really, really like to see: The ability to point the camera manually while Dronelink flies the path, like the native RTH -- now that would be awesome.
Stretching the point, set a directional path and let the pilot adjust the camera, rotation and altitude :)

I’ve just bought Dronelink but waiting for me tech friend to come and help me set it up for my MM.
After this I will do some test flights and post my findings.

Thanks looking forward for your experience.

Today i made some flight plans with web application and it's easy to learning and flexible to save kml files (Google Drive or SDD directory or usb drive). I try the Android app in my Samsung Note 9 and run so fluid. The next step is to take the MM and fly...very soon.

Best regards from Roquetas de Mar, Southern Spain

Reactions: Nork
Hello,
I just purchased a Hobbyist membership and started to go thru the tutorials. Since I have been a software developer for many years I see what they are saying but like any programming language you have to figure out the structuring of how you design and build something, in their case a mission.
There seems to be plenty of tutorials to coach you through their product. But like with anything new to you it's best to start out simple and build on that as you get more comfortable.
I have an apparently way under powered android tablet, it will run the DJI Go app but nothing else. So I use my Samsung Galaxy 10 for the Go Fly app.
I have loaded the Drone Link app on my phone and got as far as bringing it up and that worked OK. I haven't tried to connect to my Phantom 3 or MM yet. Right now I'm back in the tutorials.

To answer the original question, I believe it does worth the 20$ .
It’s easy to connect to MM , some basic missions you can load right on the fly from your mobile with no pre planning , like a 360 photo shooting.
In any case you get some extra features that you would not get otherwise, some that work well only under conditions (for example poi, needs powerful mobile and slow speeds to reduce jerkiness on such a light vehicle like the MM) and the promise of some more in the future like a follow me mode.

Hello,
I just purchased a Hobbyist membership and started to go thru the tutorials. Since I have been a software developer for many years I see what they are saying but like any programming language you have to figure out the structuring of how you design and build something, in their case a mission.
There seems to be plenty of tutorials to coach you through their product. But like with anything new to you it's best to start out simple and build on that as you get more comfortable.
I have an apparently way under powered android tablet, it will run the DJI Go app but nothing else. So I use my Samsung Galaxy 10 for the Go Fly app.
I have loaded the Drone Link app on my phone and got as far as bringing it up and that worked OK. I haven't tried to connect to my Phantom 3 or MM yet. Right now I'm back in the tutorials.
Using Google Earth you can open kml files from your own repository or a public one...the quality is high for viewing and you can try your flight plan there before open in Dronelink app. I'm using a MacBook Pro for web application and my Samsung Note 9 for Dronelink app. Waiting for try the iOS...but i think this software is a revolutionary solution for MM pilots.

Reactions: Hodge
One other thing if you are going to fly out side I strongly recommend you get the app UAV Forecast.
It will aid you in the flying conditions for where you are. I made a screen shot of your location so you could see just some of the info you will get.
Click on the image I attached to see a better view.
The parameters I have set for the app is top attitude 400 ft and max wind of 12 mph.
So in this screen shot any wind speed over 12 will tun red.
Another screen that you can use is wind profile, that will give you wind speeds from 33ft to 5000ft but looking at that will give you a pretty good idea of what's going on as you fly higher.

Screenshot_20200804-125345.jpg

"

be aware that if you loose signal (say while in the car and the MM behind you) it will go to RTH mode and it will return to your (abandoned) home point.

True, but it's currently the only waypoint solution for the MM BECAUSE it uses it's on flight controller - which requires a connection..

How is it a scam?
without a time trial edition you can not know if you can fly it with your MM and your current setup. If something says "compatible with MM" means that the system, consists of DJI approved phone, drone and battery, can work with the app. Otherwise you pay 20$ and you have nothing (their answer about hardware specifications to run safely their product is a single "iPhone X").

without a time trial edition you can not know if you can fly it with your MM and your current setup.

I'd hardly call it a scam - " a fraudulent or deceptive act or operation". There's no intent to deceive you. From comments here, the app works, it's just a matter of how well and that depends on a number of factors. I have it but it's been much too windy to try it so far!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tyroe1998