DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would someone please explain how to work around the DJI NFZ confusion?

dji used to keep me from flying all the time - near nfz even when i had tower permission, near nfz when flying inside - i hear their permissions policy has changed, bit in the past it was near impossible to actually get the block off. i'm flying on downgraded firmware in airplane mode. i disregard dji completely BUT am obeying all my local, state & federal laws.

i live between two regional airports. when i fly within their sphere, i have permission
i live next door to a game preserve - close enough so i can take off & land on my own property, but i also have an audio/photo/video permit.

dji, however, doesn't care about these permissions.

You were flying into the Twin Peaks Wilderness Area east of Sandy, UT. I didn’t know it would shut you down like that, but be happy, the fines for doing it could have been much worse. Use sectional maps, or a site like VFRMap to check your location before flying- B4UFly does not always help.

View attachment 65123

Any instructions on how to read such a complicated map? :)

It's one thing when our government types impose rules and restrictions on us but who gives DJI the right to stick their noses into something that they have zero authority to do.
So many of DJI's NFZs are NOT regarded as such by the FAA.
Imagine the outcry if the big auto makers decided, on their own, to limit all cars to an 85 mph speed limit.
Well, certainly no one forces anyone to buy DJI products. If a car was limited to 85 mph, you simply buy it or not. Your choice. In fact, my Ram 3500 has an 80 mph max on the cruise control. Only car I've ever owned with a speed limitation on the cruise control. I knew it, I bought it anyway and I live with it. My car has autonomous steering. But, it forces me to keep my hand on the wheel regardless. I knew it, I bought it anyway and I live with it. If at any point you can't live with DJI's constraints, sell it and move on.

This thread is scaring the **** out of me... So you’re telling me that looking at the map on the DJI app, the app that controls the drone, isn’t not good enough to tell me where a NFZ is and if I hit a randome NFZ on the map then my drone will just land and I’ll lose it? DJI if you’re listening this is a huge friggin problem.

Yesterday I went flying with my M2P, and it said I was in an NFZ, but it set a max altitude of 197'. I had never had that happen before. It's always been Fly/No fly. I think everything will eventually be worked out as it's still early in development.

I had this issue for the first time ever yesterday. I was flying along in a place I fly all the time. Yes I was high but I do this in this one place because it’s a narrow canyon with mountains on each side that are 5000’ above where I am on each side. I stay within 400’ of the walls and you can’t prove I was out of VLOS but anyway back to the story.

View attachment 65118

I was flying minding my own business and I get a message “ In NFZ auto-landing in 15...14...13... counts all the way down and then forces me into an auto-land that I could not cancel. It’s a good thing I was up as high as I was and I was able to get back.

You see me go out flying causally and I suddenly make a beeline back to home. That’s when I got the message and here is the moment it forces me into auto-land. You can see I’m in an auto-land not yet all the way back home with 41% battery left. I think that shows I wouldn’t have done this if my own free will.

It actually locked me out and I had to use Litchi to get her back up. Pissed me off like you wouldn’t believe. Made me miss a great sunset. Will be rooting later tonight and freeing myself from this Chinese leash.

At any rate anybody know what happened here? Anybody have this happen? There are no airports anywhere around as it’s an airplane death trap. Sorry @SNTDENIS I don’t mean to hijack your thread but maybe this will help you too.

I have flown a MP for years and have enjoyed the **** out of it; however, the fun is being drained away due to the unpredictable and, obviously, unavoidable DJI NFZ. I was driving along miles and miles of cow pastures and came across a beautiful meadow with a spectacular sunset about to happen. I was not within 20 miles of an airport or government safe house or a large group of people or area 52 or POTUS, but I was not allowed to take off due to a nfz.

Would someone please explain why I can get Clearance to fly near my house 5 miles from Tampa airport but not over cow dung in a remote meadow? Also, what can I do on the spot to work around these restrictions?

Thank you sincerely,

Denis(Soon to be an ex dji customer)
SORRY if it’s already been said but I’m not up to reading four pages of rant and rebuttal.
Please, everybody stop and consider what DJIs motivation behind the whole GEO Fence thing. It’s to continue the sell of UAVs. It’s a classic example of an industry trying to police its self. Governments worldwide are out to get “THE DRONES“ Even those you think is on our side is out to get us (AIRMAP has paid thousands of $ to anti drone lobbyists, Google it). Please, cut DJI some slack, if it was you, wouldn’t you error on the side of caution? It’s actually to our benefit. If you’re 107 and need to fly, use the resources available to get authorization.
Until UAV Pilots become responsible (not likely) it’s going to get worse.
People crying because they can’t fly in the back yard anymore, seriously. Get in the car or Vespa, go film something worthy.
/end rant

I am at work, so I can't dig up coordinates here, but I was at

18435 Townsend house dr Dade city, Florida 33523

I really just want to fly and get on the spot clearance easily. I've done it with a credit card before, but I couldn't even get to that screen. I am disappointed that these simple questions turned my thread into a macho pissing match, but I'm not gonna cry if you don't care or want to try to help.

Love Dade City! I know, off topic.

Good reason to look to the hack thread. I’ve been fortunate to have not been in your situation, but I’m sure it will happen soon enough.
Hope all works out in whatever direction you go.
Where’s the hack thread

I had this issue for the first time ever yesterday. I was flying along in a place I fly all the time. Yes I was high but I do this in this one place because it’s a narrow canyon with mountains on each side that are 5000’ above where I am on each side. I stay within 400’ of the walls and you can’t prove I was out of VLOS but anyway back to the story.

View attachment 65118

I was flying minding my own business and I get a message “ In NFZ auto-landing in 15...14...13... counts all the way down and then forces me into an auto-land that I could not cancel. It’s a good thing I was up as high as I was and I was able to get back.

You see me go out flying causally and I suddenly make a beeline back to home. That’s when I got the message and here is the moment it forces me into auto-land. You can see I’m in an auto-land not yet all the way back home with 41% battery left. I think that shows I wouldn’t have done this if my own free will.

It actually locked me out and I had to use Litchi to get her back up. Pissed me off like you wouldn’t believe. Made me miss a great sunset. Will be rooting later tonight and freeing myself from this Chinese leash.

At any rate anybody know what happened here? Anybody have this happen? There are no airports anywhere around as it’s an airplane death trap. Sorry @SNTDENIS I don’t mean to hijack your thread but maybe this will help you too.
I agree this is America, not China.
Regulations affect DJI too. Consider beyond your world that DJI could have had to include restrictive elements of their software to continue offering hardware that the government might have otherwise told them would be too much of a threat unless they could add restrictions to the software themselves.
Remember, the world includes more than your own concerns, like people who don't want to fall thousands of meters because some kid insists that no accident will happen and is wrong.

What I don’t get though is I use the B4UFly app which the FAA says is “the most up to date and best place to check if it’s ok to fly” and nothing on there. Says it’s class G airspace.

I believe that the B4UFly app only shows FAA controlled airspace. Other federal, state, and local agencies impose rules in addition to controlled airspace.

I believe that the B4UFly app only shows FAA controlled airspace. Other federal, state, and local agencies impose rules in addition to controlled airspace.

That's correct - since the only controlled airspace is FAA controlled. All the other agencies are doing is regulating ground operations (take off and landing).

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Sadly, the B4UFLY app is going through some updates and to my knowledge has never been "up to date". I personally rely on AirMap.

@sar104 no rush or anything I appreciate any time you take to do it but have you had a chance to look at that .dat file?

From my low-experience at viewing those viewpoint it looked like the Mavic wasn’t registering that it was actually in a NFZ but auto-landing as if it was anyway. Also even if I did venture into a NFZ, I don’t think it’s in dispute that I took off from class G and I should have been able to regain control once I was out of the NFZ right?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman