DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would someone please explain how to work around the DJI NFZ confusion?

@sar104 no rush or anything I appreciate any time you take to do it but have you had a chance to look at that .dat file?

From my low-experience at viewing those viewpoint it looked like the Mavic wasn’t registering that it was actually in a NFZ but auto-landing as if it was anyway. Also even if I did venture into a NFZ, I don’t think it’s in dispute that I took off from class G and I should have been able to regain control once I was out of the NFZ right?

Sorry - I meant to post a reply previously. It's hard to know what happened with the log so riddled with errors. I don't think that your hacked firmware is very healthy or robust. It was reporting multiple flight restriction data errors and finally triggered:

792.242 : 40496 [L-DBG5]wl req landing [20]
792.242 : 40496 [L-GEO]airport limit req landing ! => in limit area
792.725 : 40520 [L-FMU/LED]action changed. fly limit,eg:airport:(0)
793.243 : 40546 [L-GEO]wl req landing [19]

I would definitely not rely on that firmware.

Sorry - I meant to post a reply previously. It's hard to know what happened with the log so riddled with errors. I don't think that your hacked firmware is very healthy or robust. It was reporting multiple flight restriction data errors and finally triggered:

792.242 : 40496 [L-DBG5]wl req landing [20]
792.242 : 40496 [L-GEO]airport limit req landing ! => in limit area
792.725 : 40520 [L-FMU/LED]action changed. fly limit,eg:airport:(0)
793.243 : 40546 [L-GEO]wl req landing [19]

I would definitely not rely on that firmware.

Interesting... Thanks for looking! Haven't flashed it in awhile might be time. I do have all the NFZ restrictions turned off in the parameters and using hacked DJI Go 4 app without a NFZ directory. Only NFZ info is that 905 module. Maybe what you are seeing is the drone trying to reconcile the fact that it knows about NFZ but the app doesn't or something.

Never hurts to refresh though thanks for looking!

It's one thing when our government types impose rules and restrictions on us but who gives DJI the right to stick their noses into something that they have zero authority to do.
So many of DJI's NFZs are NOT regarded as such by the FAA.
Imagine the outcry if the big auto makers decided, on their own, to limit all cars to an 85 mph speed limit.

well, volvo announced that max speed of their cars from 2020 will be 180

Volvo to impose 112mph speed limit on all new cars from 2020

I have an interesting bit to share that pertains to this thread.

I went skiing today and met a Southwest Airlines pilot on the chair lift. I was complaining about the whole area we were in being a wilderness area and thus not being able to fly there.

He said that wasn’t the case, while it’s “recommended” to fly above 2000 feet in wilderness areas, it’s not required. He was out of Pheonix and said that if he couldn’t fly below 2000 feet in a wilderness he wouldn’t be able to fly into Phoenix or Salt Lake (where I live and we were.)

From earlier in the thread I got the impression we couldn’t fly in a wilderness area. Is there a special rule for drones on this or did I misunderstand?

I have an interesting bit to share that pertains to this thread.

I went skiing today and met a Southwest Airlines pilot on the chair lift. I was complaining about the whole area we were in being a wilderness area and thus not being able to fly there.

He said that wasn’t the case, while it’s “recommended” to fly above 2000 feet in wilderness areas, it’s not required. He was out of Pheonix and said that if he couldn’t fly below 2000 feet in a wilderness he wouldn’t be able to fly into Phoenix or Salt Lake (where I live and we were.)

From earlier in the thread I got the impression we couldn’t fly in a wilderness area. Is there a special rule for drones on this or did I misunderstand?

There are no airspace restrictions over designated wilderness. What is prohibited without specific authorization (such as for search and rescue operations) is takeoff and landing. The 2000 ft restriction is over some sensitive wildlife areas, and is only a request/recommendation to pilots, and those are specifically marked on sectionals.

I've not had occasion to launch outside and then fly into a NFZ, but whenever I've tried to launch inside one and my iPad has internet access, I'm given the option to accept responsibility and that unlock my MP.

I'm a bit confused. The OP says he was "locked out" of the drone, yet he was able to return it to the home point while in a forced landing mode. How does that work?

I am little bit confused. As a hobbyist, I didn't think testing was required. Is that incorrect?
As of now, hobbyists don't need to take a test. RCdancer's comment refers to the fact that reading charts is required for Part 107, in response to the question "Any instructions on how to read such a complicated map? "

Reactions: tleedom
As of now, hobbyists don't need to take a test. RCdancer's comment refers to the fact that reading charts is required for Part 107, in response to the question "Any instructions on how to read such a complicated map? "

Thnx for the clarification. Sadly, the rules are not well known and theres so much false information flying around on the internet. Its hard to discern what applies when, etc....

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom