DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Would this be safe/legal to fly by UK laws

RaRaRasputin

Reactions
Hi guys,

We have a castle that is local to us and I would love to get some footage of it (hopefully early Sunday morning)

I have gone on Google Earth and worked out a take-off point and added some radii rings at take-off point, for (a) 50 mtrs from take off, (b) 150 mtrs from take off and (c) 500 mtrs max flyable distance from take-off

The castle falls within the 500 metres radius

There will be nothing 50 mtrs from take-off

There are no mass groupings of people or built-up areas within 150 mtrs of take-off or the drone which I will keep high and fly initially in to the wooded area before approaching the castle

Does this look doable legally?

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 15.23.37.png

Last edited:
In the toolbar above the map there is a ruler icon

I set the type to circular and the unit type to metres - can use feet etc if you wish

Then just click a point and drag out, keeping an eye on the toolbox as the range increases to where you want it.

Don’t forget to save afterwards, you can then add multiple after saving

Reactions: Londroner
I take it you've checked to make sure that area isn't inside a NFZ?

Or owned by National Trust?

Otherwise I'd say you're good to go :)

Reactions: RaRaRasputin
Nothing on Airmap app or Drone Assist to say otherwise.

Think I will go for it.

Reactions: Ping^Spike
There's quite a lot of power infrastructure in the area, which will be best avoided in case of electromagnetic interference. You might be able to adapt your flight path to avoid. Check the location on Altitude Angle but you will need to zoom in to get the ground hazards. Apart from that looking good.

In the toolbar above the map there is a ruler icon

I set the type to circular and the unit type to metres - can use feet etc if you wish

Then just click a point and drag out, keeping an eye on the toolbox as the range increases to where you want it.

Don’t forget to save afterwards, you can then add multiple after saving
Which version of Google Earth are you using? I can't seem to find the ruler icon or toolbar in the current version.

There's quite a lot of power infrastructure in the area, which will be best avoided in case of electromagnetic interference. You might be able to adapt your flight path to avoid. Check the location on Altitude Angle but you will need to zoom in to get the ground hazards. Apart from that looking good.
Thanks

Which version of Google Earth are you using? I can't seem to find the ruler icon or toolbar in the current version.
Google Earth Pro

At top of window do you have a Tools item in the main menu, next to the 'File' item ?

Or in the viewer window a row of tool icons like below

Screen Shot 2017-08-04 at 17.37.01.png

Is not Altitude Angel the same as Drone Assist ? Looks virtually identical.

I can see the power substations. I think it should be fine as they seem to be far enough away so as not to cause too much interference (if any)

Google Earth Pro

At top of window do you have a Tools item in the main menu, next to the 'File' item ?

Or in the viewer window a row of tool icons like below
OK, got it, thanks. I was running Google Earth in my browser rather than the Pro version. Quickly rectified and now I have full control!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78