DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yagi range extenders

We only have the laws we have now because of users who were irresponsible with their drones. The more people ignore the rules, the more draconian they will become and the less likely we'll be to be able to enjoy our hobby. You can't just ignore the laws you don't like because you think you know better.

I was a professional helicopter pilot before I retired and I had a number of near misses with drones and model aircraft over the years. The fact that you're flying it over open countryside doesn't mean that it's any less of a hazard to real aircraft. Even if you still get a video feed at very long range, you can only see what's ahead of the drone and not what may be coming up quickly from behind it. You think your drone is only small so won't do any real damage but you'd be surprised at the amount of damage even a small bird can do when it hits an aircraft (particularly a helicopter, which is much more likely to be operating at the sort of heights that people fly drones). The CAA's accident reports are full of cases of aircraft crashing or sustaining serious damage as a result of bird strikes.

If you choose to fly your drone well beyond visual range, you do so knowing that you could easily cause serious damage and possibly even threaten people's lives. Are you really ok with that?

We only have the laws we have now because of users who were irresponsible with their drones. The more people ignore the rules, the more draconian they will become and the less likely we'll be to be able to enjoy our hobby. You can't just ignore the laws you don't like because you think you know better.

I was a professional helicopter pilot before I retired and I had a number of near misses with drones and model aircraft over the years. The fact that you're flying it over open countryside doesn't mean that it's any less of a hazard to real aircraft. Even if you still get a video feed at very long range, you can only see what's ahead of the drone and not what may be coming up quickly from behind it. You think your drone is only small so won't do any real damage but you'd be surprised at the amount of damage even a small bird can do when it hits an aircraft (particularly a helicopter, which is much more likely to be operating at the sort of heights that people fly drones). The CAA's accident reports are full of cases of aircraft crashing or sustaining serious damage as a result of bird strikes.

If you choose to fly your drone well beyond visual range, you do so knowing that you could easily cause serious damage and possibly even threaten people's lives. Are you really ok with that?
I know, why don't I keep it in the box never use it and if I do ,don't discuss any aspect of it on a purpose made forum. You moaners are total hypocrites. You look down at your controller don't you, thus losing sight of your drone. I bet you forget your seat belt occasionally, exceed the speed limit in your car and park illegally when you stop off at drone police headquarters to tell on your fellow enthusiasts. Zzzzzzzzz

I know, why don't I keep it in the box never use it and if I do ,don't discuss any aspect of it on a purpose made forum. You moaners are total hypocrites. You look down at your controller don't you, thus losing sight of your drone. I bet you forget your seat belt occasionally, exceed the speed limit in your car and park illegally when you stop off at drone police headquarters to tell on your fellow enthusiasts. Zzzzzzzzz
I see no problem flying long distances,when well away from flight paths, and roads, if your flying at a sensible height, high enough to clear power lines, and wind farms etc.
You can hear a helicopter from a long way in the distance, unless there is a very strong wind, and in that scenario,you wouldn’t be flying anyway. , and they shouldn’t be skimming the tree tops and power lines.
IMO its more dangerous flying in the city ,even with LOS, especially if it comes down anywhere other than an empty park.
Always felt flying in the dark at any distance surely must be quite dangerous,but that seems to be ignored,
(it’s illegal where I’m based)
This forum is a good place to find answers...but expect to be stoned to death if you say anything negative about LOS....bit like John Cleese saying ⚡️Jehovah ⚡️???
Easier and more enjoyable to share and comment on like minded You tube video posts.

Dont worry , I was throwing marshmallows ;) but the OP decided to focus all his attention on the negative posters and zero on everything else,, feel bad when that happens. :(

I don't know the law in the UK, but in the US the legal requirement to "maintain a visual line of sight" does not mean you need to maintain constant visual contact. As a practical matter (e.g. enforcing the law), it just means you could see it.

Reactions: Arnu69
In my original post I asked not to be told off, so as expected , the otherwise strict rule followers broke my rule immediately. lol! Life really is too short.

So has anyone else used and got very far with their Yagis ?

In my original post I asked not to be told off, so as expected , the otherwise strict rule followers broke my rule immediately. lol! Life really is too short.

You need to make up your mind whether you care or don't care about what other people think of your range experiments.

I don't know the law in the UK, but in the US the legal requirement to "maintain a visual line of sight" does not mean you need to maintain constant visual contact. As a practical matter (e.g. enforcing the law), it just means you could see it.
I'm
You need to make up your mind whether you care or don't care about what other people think of your range experiments.

I only wanted to know what sort of range others had achieved with their Yagis. I don't care what those bringing their negativity to the thread think. I don't fly these distances over populated areas and I'm obviously keen that the drone returns safely. As with all forums there are always those that want to create perceived drama over nothing. I'm confident that there are people out there interested in the distance their drones can cover, it's those people that my thread was aimed at.

Reactions: Iainabz
Yes I get that , but I'm currently having quite a bit of fun trying to get it to go as far as it can though. It is quite an amazing little bird. I'm the first to admit there's not really much point to going so far other than beating my own record. Prior to the Yagis 1700m was as far as it'd go. So 3860m is quite an achievement. It will go further but I'll only try in perfect conditions.
The mavic air 2 on standard firmware hits a wall at 11km wont go any further like obstacle detection it just stops

I'm

I only wanted to know what sort of range others had achieved with their Yagis. I don't care what those bringing their negativity to the thread think. I don't fly these distances over populated areas and I'm obviously keen that the drone returns safely. As with all forums there are always those that want to create perceived drama over nothing. I'm confident that there are people out there interested in the distance their drones can cover, it's those people that my thread was aimed at.

Here is the problem : Forget distance, if you have a clear line of sight , no trees no buildings , your on a rooftop , Yes your going to get some extra distance with any extender , but the best solution was to sell the Mini and get the Air 2 , I mean is an extra 1000 ft what your going for ?

I'm

I do my own thing if I'm gliding above low clouds etc i don't have the drone screen showing and don't do anything illegal ?

Here is the problem : Forget distance, if you have a clear line of sight , no trees no buildings , your on a rooftop , Yes your going to get some extra distance with any extender , but the best solution was to sell the Mini and get the Air 2 , I mean is an extra 1000 ft what your going for ?
I think you are missing the whole point here. I want to know if anyone has gotten further than 4550m and got back before battery expired?I don't think anyone would be able to go much further than 4600 metres with the Mavic mini as I think the battery would expire before it got back. I've seen one fly 4550 metres and get back in one piece. There wasnt much battery left after that flight . Has anyone successfully got further and returned safely. My current record I will beat in the right circumstances, and I'm currently enjoying trying. The footage is great too. So in a nutshell, what's the furthest a MM has travelled and returned on one standard battery?

Reactions: Phantomrain.org

4,000 meter with parabolic / yagi combo over semi rural flight path.
Ce model with gps FCC hack,flown in 5.8.
More than doubled stock Ce mini distance over same land.

I think you are missing the whole point here. I want to know if anyone has gotten further than 4550m and got back before battery expired?I don't think anyone would be able to go much further than 4600 metres with the Mavic mini as I think the battery would expire before it got back. I've seen one fly 4550 metres and get back in one piece. There wasnt much battery left after that flight . Has anyone successfully got further and returned safely. My current record I will beat in the right circumstances, and I'm currently enjoying trying. The footage is great too. So in a nutshell, what's the furthest a MM has travelled and returned on one standard battery?

So I was missing the point; Sorry
So you have to get past this : auto return message and I'm too scared to overide it. If not your record your staying the same, extenders our not going to help with that.

So I was missing the point; Sorry
So you have to get past this : auto return message and I'm too scared to overide it. If not your record your staying the same, extenders our not going to help with that.
All the other attempts I've seen involved overiding the auto return. So I'm reasonably confident that to do so won't be fatal. The only other option would be to send it as far as it can go, then land it safely, jump in the car and go collect it.

All the other attempts I've seen involved overiding the auto return. So I'm reasonably confident that to do so won't be fatal. The only other option would be to send it as far as it can go, then land it safely, jump in the car and go collect it.

Were working on a world record also, how far I can remote start from :p You should do the same ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.

Were working on a world record also, how far I can remote start from :p You should do the same ?

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain.
I landed it on my roof once and started it up again successfully, I can't imagine that'd be any sort of record. There's a clip on YouTube of a guy who lands his mm in the desert somewhere in the USA and can't get it to remote start. He walks about a mile to retrieve the drone only to find it upside down. The find my drone function worked ok.

• Haha
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I landed it on my roof once and started it up again successfully, I can't imagine that'd be any sort of record. There's a clip on YouTube of a guy who lands his mm in the desert somewhere in the USA and can't get it to remote start. He walks about a mile to retrieve the drone only to find it upside down. The find my drone function worked ok.
A spotter is Ideal if you have Someone at 4km away with their drone he car watch you and alI Is safe

This sort of post was totally predictable.What's a spotter gonna do anyway ? Go and spend £450 on a drone that can fly 3 miles away and keep it within 200 metres of you if you want. How much does a sparrow weigh , how much does a Boeing 747 weigh ? Mavic mini weighs 249g. This sort of distance is really only achievable over open countryside. I think I'd take the general thrust of your point better if I were flying over central London.
The predictable point is not if you can do it but why? It’s not that long ago that people were taking drones up well above the cloud level just to have bragging rights on heights achieved, this was done without any thoughts of consequences as to light aircraft or a drone falling uncontrollably from height.
I know that if I stick my finger in the propellers it will hurt so I don’t do this, however not maintaining reasonable control of your drone endangers both bystanders and the Drone community, we all take risks but pushing the limits of range just because you can seems to be rather self gratifying and Immature!

Reactions: RogerDH and Thanev
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom