DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Yagi-Uda Antenna Range Extender - Myth or Real Thing?

albertly

Reactions
I always feel that Yagi antenna not only doesn't help but makes negative effect on a flying distance of my drones.
I have two 5.8GHz drones - SG906 Pro and Zino Mini Pro.
I bought from AliExpress 5.8 Yagi antenna extender. And what I see on both drones mounting Yagi makes negative effect.

Is it only me or 'The king is naked' ?

In both cases I've made RTH after losing signal.
With Yagi - about 3905 meters.

Screenshot_2021-10-11-20-51-03-769_com.hubsan.drone.jpg

Without Yagi - about 5773 meters

Screenshot_2021-10-11-20-52-14-536_com.hubsan.drone.jpg

BTW, Is anybody made declared 12 km (or near it) on Mavic Air 2S ?

Last edited:
Did you buy a 5.8Ghz yagi or a 2.4GHz yagi? What band is your controller using? Placing a 5.8GHz yagi on a controller using 2.4GHz bands will probably not help the signal. Same for using a 5.8GHz yagi on a controller using the 5.4GHz bands.

Did you buy a 5.8Ghz yagi or a 2.4GHz yagi? What band is your controller using? Placing a 5.8GHz yagi on a controller using 2.4GHz bands will probably not help the signal. Same for using a 5.8GHz yagi on a controller using the 5.4GHz bands.
Sure I bought 5.8GHz .

Line of sight plays a critical role in extending distance , such as over a lake or water or field but is much harder over trees .
We use the Alien Dual Antenna and to check it it really works I flew without the Antenna on for about 1800 ft when I lost signal and than turned the Alien Dual on which allowed me to go from no signal to Full signal immediately . Its the only way I knew for sure it was working.

It would be interesting for you to do the same to see if you get an immediate response back.
Note ; I was using the Smart Controller for my tests but you should be able to so something similar.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Line of sight plays a critical role in extending distance , such as over a lake or water or field but is much harder over trees .
We use the Alien Dual Antenna and to check it it really works I flew without the Antenna on for about 1800 ft when I lost signal and than turned the Alien Dual on which allowed me to go from no signal to Full signal immediately . Its the only way I knew for sure it was working.

It would be interesting for you to do the same to see if you get an immediate response back.
Note ; I was using the Smart Controller for my tests but you should be able to so something similar.

Phantomrain.org
I did it from the same spot. The altitude was about 80-100 m and no obstructions. About "Alien Dual Antenna" I don't know if it is the same as usual Yagi. Maybe "Alien Dual Antenna" gives more EIRP (output power).

Last edited:
You might want to make sure this isn't the problem (even I have done it):
Might want to ensure the controller is set to use ONLY the 5.8GHz bands then. See if that makes a with-without difference.
I have seen >20% increase in flight distance with the Yagi-Uda "clip-on" antenna in clear-path scenarios (e.g. over water...no trees/buildings in the flight path).

I've tested this a few times and get similar results each time. My test was to just fly in a particular direction until first signal loss without, then with each extender, and without again. I replicated the path as closely as possible using the app map. I tested with and without limiting the controller to the band being tested.

In each case, it added about 500 feet, from ~2800 to ~3300. Not much, but significant and in line with the 10% - 15% results from other Amazon reviewers. I fly with the 5.8Ghz attached since the 2.4 is a very tight fit with my phone.

EDIT: I have an MA2 with standard controller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squidinc
I cannot change a band on my drone - only 5.8 is possible.

You all are confirming that Yagi does make a gain. Maybe it's something wrong with me.
However, I've checked it with 2 drones in 2 different spots - one urban and another rural.

For sure - rural area wins, but using Yagi (in my case) makes things worse. At least it's my experience.

I am going to try a parabolic antenna.

Although Yagi antennas do help range with the DJI's FLY app controller with the pod antenna, I think the parabolic "windsurfer" antennas work better with the GO4 controllers that have the twin antennas.

Your Zino controller has twin antennas. I've never known of a yagi antenna to work with those type antennas. The parabolic type should work great.

I always feel that Yagi antenna not only doesn't help but makes negative effect on a flying distance of my drones.
I bought from AliExpress 5.8 Yagi antenna extender. And what I see on both drones mounting Yagi makes negative effect.

View attachment 136350

View attachment 136351

Not sure how an extended range of flight fits in with the VLOS LAW in America.

Yagi is junk….. clip on antennas are a waste of money, anyone that tells you they work don’t know what they are talking about. If it doesn’t hardwire into your controller then it’s not doing anything for you… don’t waste your money.
The fella using the Alienware antenna has a good working setup.

Last edited:

Phantomrain.org
And how much are they compared to Yagi?

Parabolic reflector antena boosters do indeed work. They take the RF Energy going behind the controller, and send it forward, which provides more signal in the direction of the drone. The user must take more care to aim the antennas correctly, as if the drone isn’t in the path of the focused beam the results will be much worse.

Be aware that any rf signal weakens by the square of the distance from the controllers. This will ultimately be the limiting factor no matter what signalboosting techniques are used.

Reactions: AZDave
I get my Mavic Air 1 up to 2Km from my home (urban area) without any issues. I use the Yagi-Reflective antenna combination at 5.8GHz
Won't try going any further because of battery charge limitations

Parabolic reflector antenna boosters do indeed work. They take the RF Energy going behind the controller, and send it forward, which provides more signal in the direction of the drone. The user must take more care to aim the antennas correctly, as if the drone isn’t in the path of the focused beam the results will be much worse.

Be aware that any rf signal weakens by the square of the distance from the controllers. This will ultimately be the limiting factor no matter what signal boosting techniques are used.

All of that is correct. Parabolic reflectors are completely passive and if designed properly should make a difference ... but the beam width would be narrower (the more gain the narrower), and if the antennas aren't pointed properly toward the drone the result would be worse than without the reflectors. You clearly know what you're talking about.

A hardwired Yagi antenna should also work fine, but I would doubt that clip on versions would work very well. There simply wouldn't be enough RF coupling for the clip on version to make much of a difference ... and a poorly designed one would simply suck some power and dissipate it.

Yagi is junk….. clip on antennas are a waste of money, anyone that tells you they work don’t know what they are talking about. If it doesn’t hardwire into your controller then it’s not doing anything for you… don’t waste your money.
Not true. A typical yagi consists of a driven element which is a basic dipole with a reflector and one or more director elements. It’s my understanding that the stock antennas on the controller are basic dipoles. As long as the spacing is correct, they should perform well. The only issues I see are the close proximity of two yagis affecting each other. That typically creates side lobes and reduces forward gain slightly. I would be suspect of antennas purchased from a chinese discounter.
Someone pointed out that gain is achieved by squeezing the signal into a common direction. They’re exactly right and reflectors or yagi’s are directional requiring they be aimed toward the drone at all times.

And how much is Alienware kit?

View attachment 136350

View attachment 136351

I have the SG906 Pro and if you look closely at the RC "antennae" you'll see that there's no wires going to them...they're just dummies. The Yagi's won't work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura