DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

You Might Want To Watch This Before Buying Platinum Pro Props

I just saw this video from Dragon7 and I figured I would give you guys a heads up.
It might be an individual problem or it might be a compatibility issue that may or may not be fixable by a firmware update. Either way i think we need more tests done to confirm the issue.

If it is a truly a compatibility issue then we need to hear from DJI if it's a known issue and can/will be fixed with a firmware update. Unfortunately for those of us like me running older firmware it becomes a moot point if the problem is systemic to all Mavic Pro's running the older firmware.

Rob

I contacted DJI with an issue I had with the new props on my pro and this was there response.

We understand that you want to use the Low noise propellers to your Mavic Pro, but we really not recommend to our customer to do such action.

The reason, is because those new propellers may put too much stress on your motors.

The motors compatible for that new propellers is FOC (which is the motor of Mavic Pro Platinum) while the motor of your Mavic Pro is BLDC only.

BLDC (Brushless Direct Current)
FOC (Field Oriented Control)

Thank you for choosing DJI.
If you have other concern don't hesitate to contact us.

This is the deal breaker for me. I had my doubts about the Re-invented props, now for sure I don't want them.

Reactions: Vilco
I contacted DJI with an issue I had with the new props on my pro and this was there response.

We understand that you want to use the Low noise propellers to your Mavic Pro, but we really not recommend to our customer to do such action.

The reason, is because those new propellers may put too much stress on your motors.

The motors compatible for that new propellers is FOC (which is the motor of Mavic Pro Platinum) while the motor of your Mavic Pro is BLDC only.

Dji is saying the low noise puts too much stress on the motors. Thats a real shame I really wanted these. Anyone think this is just a company blanket answer so people will buy the platnum mavic? I really don't want to do any damage to my motors!

I just saw this video from Dragon7 and I figured I would give you guys a heads up.
It might be an individual problem or it might be a compatibility issue that may or may not be fixable by a firmware update. Either way i think we need more tests done to confirm the issue.

If it is a truly a compatibility issue then we need to hear from DJI if it's a known issue and can/will be fixed with a firmware update. Unfortunately for those of us like me running older firmware it becomes a moot point if the problem is systemic to all Mavic Pro's running the older firmware.

Rob
Interesting! Ive never seen shadows either on my standard props. I think ill just stay with what works.

More proof that the new props are really nothing special.
Notice in the op video that the video stops right before he obviously fly's over a crowd of people? Probably because it showed that people still looked up at the drone, and he doesnt want anyone to know he flys outside of the law.
For those of you that want to spy on your teenage neighbors sunbathing, or looking in windows, you will have to wait for more zoom on the lens. Because the props are as quiet as they are ever going to be.

Given the clear statement on the DJI website regarding the use of these propellers, I'd have to discount that message as not the official DJI position.

The 8331 propellers have a brand new aerodynamic design giving the Mavic Pro series an impressive noise control performance. When used with the Mavic Pro Platinum, up to 4dB (60%) of aircraft noise is lowered during takeoff and landing, and flight time is extended to 30 minutes. Noise reduction and flight time are also enhanced when used with the Mavic Pro, but not as much.

The DJI Store also lists the 8331 props as being compatible with the Mavic Pro at the bottom of this page.

Reactions: MrsTreat
Meh, I have two and half sets of the old props. I thought the Mavic was already really quiet. I'm not sure what is to be gained by a reduction in 1-2 db. Of course, that's why we have good people reviewing them. It's just not for me.

What I could use is a rainproof quad copter ..... I live in Oregon.

Meh, I have two and half sets of the old props. I thought the Mavic was already really quiet. I'm not sure what is to be gained by a reduction in 1-2 db. Of course, that's why we have good people reviewing them. It's just not for me.

What I could use is a rainproof quad copter ..... I live in Oregon.

I have to say, after today, I'm sold. I flew both sets of props in my backyard, and the new props make the MP NOTICEABLY less annoying, especially when flying low around the yard. Up high, they are MUCH quieter than the old ones (I live in a very quiet place). Just doing maneuvers around my yard had my ears far more 'relaxed' when using the new props.

LP

I have to say, after today, I'm sold. I flew both sets of props in my backyard, and the new props make the MP NOTICEABLY less annoying, especially when flying low around the yard. Up high, they are MUCH quieter than the old ones (I live in a very quiet place). Just doing maneuvers around my yard had my ears far more 'relaxed' when using the new props.

LP

I stopped flying around my yard just because the neighbors are paranoid. Plus, just not a big enough space. I fly at the local aerodrome and I have no issues. I fly at 200 feet to 350 feet, there is no noise at that level to be heard on the ground. Further, personally, nature has given me a hearing loss since birth. It was especially helpful during my last year of marriage - Come to think of it, she did sound a bit like a drone.

Reactions: LeafPeeper

Everything I've ever learned building my own drones tells me this is wrong. There is only a marginal difference between the two props. 8330 = 8.3" diameter x 30 degree pitch. The Platinum props are 8331 = 8.3" diameter x 31 degree pitch. The difference in decibals is marginal, look at the results of the tests and the thrust is only minimally different too. Unless the stock motors are that sensitive I don't see how they would put that much of a load on them. The prop shadowing has nothing to do with the new props.

Everything I've ever learned building my own drones tells me this is wrong. There is only a marginal difference between the two props. 8330 = 8.3" diameter x 30 degree pitch. The Platinum props are 8331 = 8.3" diameter x 31 degree pitch. The difference in decibals is marginal, look at the results of the tests and the thrust is only minimally different too. Unless the stock motors are that sensitive I don't see how they would put that much of a load on them. The prop shadowing has nothing to do with the new props.

Meh...the way I see it, the sooner they wear out, the sooner I can convince my wife I need a new drone. LOL.

LP

Reactions: Pablo and cderoche
Dji is saying the low noise puts too much stress on the motors. Thats a real shame I really wanted these. Anyone think this is just a company blanket answer so people will buy the platnum mavic? I really don't want to do any damage to my motors!

But on their site they list Mavic Pro as being compatible. Just got my new props today.

Bottom lines?
  • Science, once again, takes a back seat to marketing.
  • If Global Warming is any indicator, 97% consensus will not convince.
  • Mavic could have released a white paper documenting its test results, but _________.

LP

Out of curiosity, I did a spectrum analysis of the regular vs. platinum props on a Mavic Pro, in a steady hover in a controlled sound environment with sound measurement at the level of the aircraft at a distance of approximately 1 m. The platinum props were spinning at around 5800 rpm, while the regular props were spinning at around 6250 rpm.

mavic_props_01.png

The results are somewhat interesting. The low frequency peaks are simple harmonics of the propeller frequency noted above (5800 rpm ≈ 97 Hz, 6250 rpm ≈ 105 Hz). The lower frequency of rotation was clearly audible. The platinum prop spectrum is not significantly different than the regular props through 1000 Hz or so, but they are quieter beyond that with the exception of the strange peak at aorund 6850 Hz, that was audible to me.

Unless the stock motors are that sensitive I don't see how they would put that much of a load on them. The prop shadowing has nothing to do with the new props.

You may be right but has anyone else done detailed video tests with them at different sun angles? Also I think at full RPM the increased torque cannot he dismissed without knowing exactly how much extra overhead was built into the original motors. Most pilots tend to gun it to full throttle for large portions of their flight.

Rob

I have the old props and shot a 360 the other day with Litichi. I have NEVER seen the horizontal bands in there until now. I've shot several 360s without issue. So, no crashed Mavic, no new props, no scratches on the lens and yet....horizontal banding lines that I've never seen before. Something has changed!

Maybe they flex under load (turns, acceleration, deceleration) and at those times the thin flexible tips can contact the lower corners of the body.

Man, it's sure sounding like DJI didn't flush all the kinks out of the props. I suspect 90% of users won't notice any of these things, but it's supposed to be an easy replacement with no changes other than quieter flight.
I just flew 3 batteries yesterday, alot of the time was in sport+ mode in 25 mph+ winds using the new props. Full power climbs from 6 to 400 feet in about 10 sec. Speeds topped out at 55 mph (tail wind) along with sudden stops by suddenly released throttle. No scratches from the props on the body at all.

If you're hitting the body, your arms might have too much up and down play on the arms especially the rear arms

I did all of this to gain confidence in the props and I am extremely happy with them. However, I did have prop shadows flying into the sun but with 60 degree tilt no wonder![emoji41][emoji41]

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada