DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Your drone will soon be narcing on you

I guess my question is if DJI has this technology already, and tracking systems are used by authorities already, then if there are so many incidents with commercial aircraft on approach or takeoff, then it would seem to me that they know who it is in many cases based on statistical probability that 60% of UAVs are DJI products, or at least have an ID on the UAV being used, which presumably can be tracked to Point of Purchase, I recall a program on TV 20 years ago entitled, "We Know Where You Live." At that time it was about tracking commercial purchasing and determining buying practices by individuals. Maybe someone can correct.

I agree strongly with DJI AeroScope . . people only behave when there are consequences. "No-Fly Zones" is a bad idea. and poorly implemented logic . . . All you need to do is . . Learn about aviation, Don't fly over 400ft near airports and heliports. But make it the operator's responsibility to behave responsibly . . . and identify those who aren't.

Several months ago I posted an observation on my website that Transport Canada should consider working with DJI to come up with a web based interface for tracking drones . . and then go after those who violate protected airspace. They should be going after the drone operators not "registering" 2lb flying cameras as if they were airplanes.

Every DJI aircraft already contacts DJI servers before every engine start and passes ownership, location and "No-Fly Zone" information over wifi or a phone connected to the internet. Why not keep that connection and pass position, altitude and direction info a few times a minute to Air Traffic Control (ATC) . . and log the history!

Here is my post and a Mock-up of the web interface. "Playing Nice with Air Traffic"
I'm happy to give my location when flying . . . but Transport needs to open the airspace below 400ft

Reactions: wsteele
Every DJI aircraft already contacts DJI servers before every engine start and passes ownership, location and "No-Fly Zone" information over wifi or a phone connected to the internet.
I agree since there are stupid people still trying to fly near major airports, the DJI Aeroscope system will probably get installed and widely used. If you are flying with your tablet in airplane mode, you are not connected to DJI servers when you fly, but you have to have logged in at some point after purchase to enable the drone and your data _is_ linked to the drone serial id. Regardless, Aeroscope is a passive system, in that an amplified antenna array (or multiple arrays) gets installed around a major airport and Aeroscope is used to detect _and decode_ signals already emanating from DJI drones within its effective range. This is possible today and is probably being used in China first, after all it is a Chinese company. The antenna gurus can correct me, but lets say the effective range is 15 miles. (there are folks on the leaderboard that are connected/receiving these same signals how far?) Within this monitored airspace, DJI Aeroscope detects DJI drones, decodes signal/telemetry for altitude, heading, speed, and the serial id, etc., and if it is an infringement (over 400 feet, within 5 miles of the airport in the USA for example) authorities can request serial id to owner id (DJI data) and then send FAA or local police to see the owner of drone. They already have everything they need. System would probably be very effective at weeding out the stupid (and ignorant) drone owners amongst us. Tracking you, no not always, only if you are near a site that is being monitored by Aeroscope. So if you fly legally with regards to airspace limitations, no issues.

Will people on .400 FW with airgapped everything still be affected by this Aeroscope thing? Seems like if no new hardware is required then it would be included in a firmware update.

Maybe they planned ahead of time and secretly already embedded this from day 1. Or maybe that was what the whole "you have to re-registry and re-sign in" again thing was really all about back a few months ago when they yanked the 400 FW and pushed the newer 700FW onto everyone.

So those on 400 FW will still be getting this Aeroscope or no?

unless ATC have means of communication to you then its laughable that airlines will divert due to a pesky drone. likely outcome, u hit a plane, u go to jail. you should never be in any airspace to begin with
if this does actually occur there will be thousands of drones atc will have littered on there screens and need to now look out for, best way is rules and legislation to combat this issue
lets be realistic here

Let's see- drone regulation continues to increase, but the number of incursions are also increasing- even though regulation is also on the rise. It seems pretty apparent to me that the increasing number of incursions is pretty much a direct correlation to the increasing number of drones out there, period. There will always be a certain percentage of people who don't respect rules and legislation - and you can find great examples all over these forums and youtube. When drones weren't nearly as popular, this small percentage didn't amount to much of a threat. But now, a small percentage of millions is starting to add up to something. Maybe we still have a last chance to self-police, before the rules and legislation get too crazy. We should certainly try. The higher likelihood, though, is that we can soon expect to see the next step above "adminstrative controls", which is "technological controls". There's no doubt in my mind that we'll be seeing some form of mandated ADSB or telemetry required for all drones in the not-so-distant future.

As far as ATC having their screens "overloaded"- it's really not a problem. They can already use altitude and speed filters to hide all the traffic they don't care about. A simple software filter is all that's needed to continuously monitor all flying drones, hide the "good" ones, and display the "threats" in bright flashing red on their screen so they can warn nearby airplanes about.

So those on 400 FW will still be getting this Aeroscope or no?
See my post above. Aeroscope is not something that is loaded on your drone. Aeroscope is a separate DJI software that will be used to monitor airspace. Your drone already broadcasts a signal with id/telemetry to your RC regardless of what firmware you have (that is why you can see a video, telemetry/control your bird). DJI's proprietary code will be decoded by their Aeroscope software coupled with antenna arrays to receive signals already in the air. Don't confuse the latest drone updates with Aeroscope. The latest updates were put in to provide internal limitations to your airspace in accordance with known airports/POIs/NFZs etc (poorly executed or not). A separate effort.
As AKflyer stated with regards to filtering, if DJI's software is good enough it can be manipulated to show only drones 'busting' rules in the airspace being monitored. The assumption is that the FAA, airport authorities, local law enforcement, etc., will be buying/installing the Aeroscope system when its ready for prime time.

If there is an initial reluctance of potential Aeroscope customers the reason might be that it would only be able to detect/decode DJI drone signals, unless other drone manufacturers provided their code schema to be incorporated into this software.

These topics are SO annoying. Why does it matter if it broadcasts that stuff if you’re not doing anything wrong? There’s also a new privacy setting to stop the broadcast. But seriously, why does it MATTER?

These topics are SO annoying. Why does it matter if it broadcasts that stuff if you’re not doing anything wrong? There’s also a new privacy setting to stop the broadcast. But seriously, why does it MATTER?
If you are complicit with airspace regulations and use common sense to stay safe, you are right, it doesn't really matter. You'll never know its there. I think some folks are just wanting to know all about what goes on with their drones. Look at all the topics that get posted (some are out in left field, but it is a forum so they get posted and replied to, even the silly ones). Why do users of the forum view any of these topics? We can pick and choose what we view or ignore. The forum is here to educate, share, and help, right?
Privacy setting might stop the serial id from transmitting (I don't know) but Aeroscope would still be able to receive telemetry, i.e., speed, location, altitude because it has to be transmitted to your controller to display/use.

Reactions: noimage
I find the fact this system can work worrying because it means DJI havent been honest. They CLAIMED occusync was properly end to end encrypted. Clearly for this device to be able to get a serial number, location and other telemetry it means either (i) that stream isn't actually encrypted or (ii) its backdoored or (iii) if it is encrypted its with a known, static key.
Basically what this means is absolutely anyone is going to be able to do this with a hackRF and a raspberry pi or similar. Worse, a lack of encryption could mean its possible for a malicious third party to actually control the drone remotely.
If as they initially claimed the stream was fully end to end encrypted this device wouldn't actually be able to work.

Big Brother is watching!
When people hear the term 'big brother' they immediately think it's bad or scary. I don't. I think, 'Wow, I love my big brother.' Still, I'll be wrapping my Mavic in tinfoil from now on.

Last edited:
I'm hearing that in the field tests of Aeroscope aren't going so well. Multiple units are reporting the same drone in multiple locations across the globe simultaneously! :cool:

FlyGuy8675309 said:
Still, enjoy the wide open skies while you can, boys! After the Blackhawk incident in NYC and now the plane in Montreal, I think they will start to move faster on getting more regs out there for hobby fliers.
Agreed.

And as I pointed out in another thread, things are going to change in 2018... Think of this, the Mavic and the Spark haven't been through a holiday buying cycle yet. Mavic was still new and hard to get last December. This year there are plenty of them in stock on shelves, lots of data out there, and the Spark is established. As odd as it may sound to many, $500-$1000 is right in the "one big gift" price range for a lot of families. It's going to be a sh*tstorm.

As much as I don't like big brother watching every time I fire up the drone, I suppose they'll need to. :(

Your profile gives your age as 39. No name, address, occupation, nothing. Why keep everything about yourself secret if you are doing nothing wrong?

If your worried about your basic info being passed on or logged then you're probably one of those people that like to break the rules or not abide by regulations and not worry about safty or others. If you dont do wrong you havd nothing to worry about. Your info is already collected by multiple other means via cellphones, credid cards etc. Just accept it and move on.

Reactions: noimage
If your worried about your basic info being passed on or logged then you're probably one of those people that like to break the rules or not abide by regulations and not worry about safty or others. If you dont do wrong you havd nothing to worry about. Your info is already collected by multiple other means via cellphones, credid cards etc. Just accept it and move on.

I'm sure your right, and wouldn't mind posting your imformation here.
Address, phone number, place of employment, ect.
Or would you?

Your profile gives your age as 39. No name, address, occupation, nothing. Why keep everything about yourself secret if you are doing nothing wrong?

My info isn’t a secret and the DJI app isn’t posting my age, address, or any other info anywhere online.

I'm sure your right, and wouldn't mind posting your imformation here.
Address, phone number, place of employment, ect.
Or would you?

PLEASE show me where any of THAT info is posted anywhere by DJI. Also, none of that is a secret and anyone who goes to my Facebook page can see that information. People need to stop worrying about a drone app and actually read the terms they sign when they sign up for credit cards or some websites. Hell, as soon as I register a “private” domain name through godaddy, I start getting calls on my cell phone which is on a do not call list. Most peoples address and phone number are also listed on many websites such as white pages.com. Your photo is taken most of the time when you’re just walking down a street past an atm, a security camera, or even stopping to look at a store window display.

My info isn’t a secret and the DJI app isn’t posting my age, address, or any other info anywhere online.

Oh so certain information is okay?
You decide what is okay?
Is it okay if I decide what's okay for me?
I don't like the constant creeping never ending anominous information gathering
and will never believe it's a good thing.
Would you protest if they wanted to chip you or your children?
You know, if you're not doing anything wrong what's the problem?
(Not necessarily directed at the post that I quoted)

Reactions: TotemLake
Oh so certain information is okay?
You decide what is okay?
Is it okay if I decide what's okay for me?
I don't like the constant creeping never ending anominous information gathering
and will never believe it's a good thing.
Would you protest if they wanted to chip you or your children?
You know, if you're not doing anything wrong what's the problem?

Lmao. You TOTALLY went off point with the chip thing. Chipping someone’s kids is nothing like an app sending your aircrafts location to a company.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Albrecht0803