DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Your drone will soon be narcing on you

My info isn’t a secret and the DJI app isn’t posting my age, address, or any other info anywhere online.

Dude, you are being very secretive. No picture, no name, no occupation, nothing. You cloak yourself in anonymity. Why? Are you a criminal? What are you afraid of? Is it this statement from DJI:

Given that some drones have been targeted by gunfire and some drone pilots have been threatened with assault despite flying legally, DJI believes it is prudent to allow individual drone owners to avoid disclosing their identities to the general public.

dark-shadows.jpg

The interest in privacy is, unfortunately, arguably heightened compared to manned aircraft considering the occasional violent confrontations that UAS operators have faced over the last few years, including physical assault and gunfire. A system that enables belligerent individuals to look up the name and address of, and then knock on the door of, a local UAS operator, is not acceptable and will detrimentally impact UAS operators who are operating safely and doing nothing wrong.

If your worried about your basic info being passed on or logged then you're probably one of those people that like to break the rules or not abide by regulations and not worry about safty or others. If you dont do wrong you havd nothing to worry about. Your info is already collected by multiple other means via cellphones, credid cards etc. Just accept it and move on.

Wonder what the US Army is worried about?

Attachments

• DJI-no-fly-army.jpg
    DJI-no-fly-army.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 30
Did I miss something? Is it now OK to just pick and choose which laws to obey and not obey?
Just because you dont agree with rules and laws, it still makes you a criminal to break the laws.

Did you guys know that China remains suspect #1 in the 2015 theft of the personnel files of millions of federal employees including everyone with a top secret clearance? OPM.png

Outsourcing our privacy and security to China. What could possibly go wrong?

Fox-Henhouse.jpg

The interest in privacy is, unfortunately, arguably heightened compared to manned aircraft considering the occasional violent confrontations that UAS operators have faced over the last few years, including physical assault and gunfire. A system that enables belligerent individuals to look up the name and address of, and then knock on the door of, a local UAS operator, is not acceptable and will detrimentally impact UAS operators who are operating safely and doing nothing wrong.

WTH? There is no such system in place and never will be.

Dude, you are being very secretive. No picture, no name, no occupation, nothing. You cloak yourself in anonymity. Why? Are you a criminal? What are you afraid of? Is it this statement from DJI:

Given that some drones have been targeted by gunfire and some drone pilots have been threatened with assault despite flying legally, DJI believes it is prudent to allow individual drone owners to avoid disclosing their identities to the general public.

View attachment 23550

I’m not hiding a thing. I didn’t know it was a requirement to fill out the entire profile.
John Donnery
Digital Projection Technician
New Windsor, NY
[email protected]
12a1886f21b998508a3d1374b93390c8.jpg

For the people who dont mind this level of surveillance and in support of it:

I bet 99% of all drone pilots have broken the law in one form or another intentionally or unintentionally. Whether it may be VLOS, 5km NFZ from areodrones, 120m height restriction heck theres a full thread about range Leaderboard. So anyone in support of this dictatorship of a company, I hope u enjoy your freedom while it lasts because this hobby will get so restrictive that no ones able to have any fun!
Cheers!

It's like driving a car. Everyone breaks some law during their trips to and from home.

Reactions: mpa
See my post above. Aeroscope is not something that is loaded on your drone. Aeroscope is a separate DJI software that will be used to monitor airspace. Your drone already broadcasts a signal with id/telemetry to your RC regardless of what firmware you have (that is why you can see a video, telemetry/control your bird). DJI's proprietary code will be decoded by their Aeroscope software coupled with antenna arrays to receive signals already in the air. Don't confuse the latest drone updates with Aeroscope. The latest updates were put in to provide internal limitations to your airspace in accordance with known airports/POIs/NFZs etc (poorly executed or not). A separate effort.
As AKflyer stated with regards to filtering, if DJI's software is good enough it can be manipulated to show only drones 'busting' rules in the airspace being monitored. The assumption is that the FAA, airport authorities, local law enforcement, etc., will be buying/installing the Aeroscope system when its ready for prime time.

If there is an initial reluctance of potential Aeroscope customers the reason might be that it would only be able to detect/decode DJI drone signals, unless other drone manufacturers provided their code schema to be incorporated into this software.

This is not true. It came out around .0700. It also has a whitepaper from DJI on the subject. This is why your signal is weaker on around .0700 and maybe as early as .0500. DJI discussed in the whitepaper about splitting out a channel for law enforcement, hence why your range suffered over .0400. It is also why they claim other manufacturers can do the same thing by firmware upgrades.

.0400 should be unaffected.

Edit: I think either .0550 or .0600 was the current firmware when the idea was first floated. It requires decrypting a channel between the remote and drone.

Edit 2... I think someone accused me of a tin foil hat when I said this is coming to a drone near you... I hate being right about these things. I'd prefer the tin foil hat accusation.

Last edited:
I hate being right about these things. I'd prefer the tin foil hat accusation
I'm with you on the tinfoil hat. I need to make one. No way for the manufacturer to read signals generated by their own devices/code? Why is it so highly encrypted ? I know later versions tightened control over airspace, but also this? If I am emitting a signal I can be tracked for sure no matter what firmware, but without an extra channel no id can be made?

I’m not hiding a thing. I didn’t know it was a requirement to fill out the entire profile.
John Donnery
Digital Projection Technician
New Windsor, NY
[email protected]

I was not really expecting you to stand up and take the challenge. But you did and I salute and respect you for it.

Reactions: noimage

WTH? There is no such system in place and never will be.

I think DJI leaves open the possibility of collecting and disclosing whatever ID information it wishes or in accordance with future "local regulations" not yet drafted.

The AeroScope device looks portable and easy to use just about anywhere.

Attachments

• AS.png
    AS.png
    386.6 KB · Views: 19
Wonder what the US Army is worried about?

The Army operates their drones in classified areas, do you? Lmao

I dont operate in any classified areas as far as I know! But geographic location is clearly not the sole concern. If it was just about protecting secret places why did the US Army not ban all drones and cameras and all cell phones and any other recording device everywhere in the same memo? Why just DJI products and component parts down to the batteries and wires?

Every newer car has a factory Bluetooth radio. They all broadcast their MAC address whenever powered on. Large cities are foregoing conventional traffic flow monitoring systems (radar, camera, or induction loop sensors) in favor of Bluetooth scanning equipment that track individual and uniquely identifiable MAC addresses as vehicles move throughout the cities. They claim they don't store the data, and only use it in aggregate form, but c'mon... We're talking .gov... imagine the potential theft, er, tax revenue that could be generated if the MAC addresses were correlated to license plates (just one more variable the dealer adds to the paperwork submitted to the DMV for title work). Suddenly taxing drivers (or drone pilots) on a per-mile driven (flown) basis isn't so difficult to do.

Guys, have a look at this company and their product:
They are actually hijacking the control link between RC and AC and steering the drone to some place of their liking.
MESMER®

Reactions: noimage
I'm with you on the tinfoil hat. I need to make one. No way for the manufacturer to read signals generated by their own devices/code? Why is it so highly encrypted ? I know later versions tightened control over airspace, but also this? If I am emitting a signal I can be tracked for sure no matter what firmware, but without an extra channel no id can be made?
It is purposely encrypted so that drone user B can't take over the drone of user A (Assuming the extremely remote chance that they didn't both generate the same key) and I am sure you generate that key when the remote it bound to the drone. It is a public and private key approach standard to all encryption and you cannot read the stream without knowing the key. What this new thing does is purposely decrypt a channel that can be read anywhere at any time with personally identifiable information so you don't need the key to read all about the drone.

The extra advantage that DJI has is they don't need to read the stream. They can simply steal the data off your connected device.

Now the bad part - If you have a decrypted channel broadcasting... How long till someone develops a way to remotely hack the drone through this un-encrypted channel? Now we have a potential attack path to steal control of said drone.

Edit: Let me go one step further... With the moronic security ideas (Just look at the defaults they did for editing flight parameters) that I have seen DJI do to date, I don't doubt they left some sort of hole in this decrypted data channel.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer