DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TO FAA OR NOT TO FAA......?

Frankly no one in the vacinity is going to see a small label on the outside anyway, if you think about it. If they're close enough to see it, it's because they're standing beside you and you're with the drone not flying. So here's what I do. I've printed out the "certificate" the FAA mails you with my number, FAA logo, etc. and folded it into a business card sized paper I keep in my wallet.

When someone approaches me and it looks like they're neutral or unfriendly about the drone, I'm ready to pull that out and flash it at them and say "I'm a registered UAV pilot by the FAA". Which is all true. "What's a UAV?" and you explain it, then follow that right up by telling them the FAA is solely responsible for the air and that I'm complying with their many rules. [Excluding no fly areas, etc. of course] They typically become friendlier at that point, it's quite disarming haha.

Another great idea and approach to the problem.

I can envision the impact your approach would have on the average Joe and Jane Q. Public who a drone pilot may encounter. I am CERTAIN that seeing the letters "FAA" followed by a set of official-looking numbers validates drone flying to a level in their eyes that mere words, alone, cannot express or transmit. Flashing an official ANYTHING has its due effects upon most people and does open many closed doors. And as you stated, EVERYTHING you say and point to via your approach is 100% legal, correct and valid, in all 50 states. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Reactions: Apocalypso
into a business card sized paper I keep in my wallet

This is a good technique. I also keep the same in my FlyMore bag and hard cases. But you still need to mark the number somewhere on the drone. (Inside the battery compartment is fine unless that model of drone needs a tool to open it.) This is so that anyone who finds the crashed carcass of the drone can link it back to the pilot through the FAA.

I just used a simple labeler and placed the sticker on the underside rear arm of the craft. I've seen some pretty fancy one on this site. One was gold and matched DJI's Mavic font.

Reactions: CC Rider
Mine is registered in Europe. You get a registration number but it's linked to your RPAS serial number. You need this procedure for every RPA that goes over 30ft (10 meter) outside your private property.
I have no problem with that. First part of my license is in two weeks (yeahhhh)

Last edited:
I placed my FAA registration number prominently on the arm of my Mavic and on the feet of the landing gear on my Typhoon H using 1/4" labelmaker tape. It's neat looking, stays well in place, and lends a professional air of authenticity to my aircraft. And it doesn't take away from the aircraft's appearances, either.

SEEING those numbers has prompted some questions from onlookers around me in which I I get the chance to tell the public that we and our aircraft ARE registered with the FAA, something none of them know about or realize, and which seems to make a noticeable difference to them as to how they regard the drone I am flying. Having a prominent registration numbers makes the operation appear more official to them, which it actually is via the FAA registration. In my experience, people react positively to that.

As an aside, I also have another tape similarly displayed on each of my drones saying "If Found, Call (123) 546-7890." Who knows? If my drone goes down somewhere and I'm unable to retrieve it, it only makes sense to me to give myself an opportunity to have it returned to me, so I give them my number but not my name. Not everyone is a butthead. There are some good folks out there who would bother to take the time to call. Without providing a phone number, who's going to try to track you down via your FAA registration number if they find your downed drone?
Great info...I use the telephone number: 867-5309

Are most people registering their Magic Pros with the FAA and getting a N number assigned? If so, where are people displaying their N tail number? Just looking for ideas of where to display my new number

Registration is a requirement for all drones between .5 and 55 pounds. I display mine on the body along with my phone number and the word "Reward" just in case. As a backup I place the same labels in the battery bay. Clear printed labels with white type are fairly unobtrusive on the craft body's exterior.

Are most people registering their Magic Pros with the FAA and getting a N number assigned? If so, where are people displaying their N tail number? Just looking for ideas of where to display my new number
You do not get a "N" number like aircraft have. You get an "FA" number

The FAA registration website actually says you MUST also display your name, address and phone number along with the registration number.
Got a link so we can see where you found that information?

What are the penalties for not having the registration details on your drone?

What are the penalties for not having the registration details on your drone?
Per the FAA FAQ:

"Failure to register an unmanned aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal penalties. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years."

I remembered seeing it on the "registration complete" screen when I registered here: sUAS Registration
You do need to have a copy of your registration on your person, but you're only required to mark your drones with your FAA number.

I placed my FAA registration number prominently on the arm of my Mavic and on the feet of the landing gear on my Typhoon H using 1/4" labelmaker tape. It's neat looking, stays well in place, and lends a professional air of authenticity to my aircraft. And it doesn't take away from the aircraft's appearances, either.

SEEING those numbers has prompted some questions from onlookers around me in which I I get the chance to tell the public that we and our aircraft ARE registered with the FAA, something none of them know about or realize, and which seems to make a noticeable difference to them as to how they regard the drone I am flying. Having a prominent registration numbers makes the operation appear more official to them, which it actually is via the FAA registration. In my experience, people react positively to that.

As an aside, I also have another tape similarly displayed on each of my drones saying "If Found, Call (123) 546-7890." Who knows? If my drone goes down somewhere and I'm unable to retrieve it, it only makes sense to me to give myself an opportunity to have it returned to me, so I give them my number but not my name. Not everyone is a butthead. There are some good folks out there who would bother to take the time to call. Without providing a phone number, who's going to try to track you down via your FAA registration number if they find your downed drone?
But if someone calls that 123 number, he or she will get a no service reply! Lol!

I agree with what many others have said on these points...

If you are flying as a hobby, you only need the $5 registration
You can put this number on every drone (in fact, it is required)

I used my trusty Brother Label Maker, with black type on clear for my labels:
FAA Number on one side, my contact information on the other.
I also have my FAA number under the DJI logo between the antennae of my controller.

Using my label maker again, with black type on white, I put on more labels:
My contact info, complete with QR code, under the battery compartement, plus one on the bottom of each battery, and another on the bottom of my ctonroller, and another on each of my chargers, and another on my charging hub, another on the back of my tablet, and yet another on each of my carrying cases.

Most people will return these items if they find them, unless you lose it all with the case. The reason is that the Mavic is not much good without the charger and controller, and vice versa.

In fact, I have these same labels, with a QR code, on every power brick, notebook computer, phone, tablet, case, backpack, and power bank that I own. Oh, an on the dog's collars too!

The QR code goes to a web page that has my contact info, and my "reward if returned" statement.

I agree with what many others have said on these points...

If you are flying as a hobby, you only need the $5 registration
You can put this number on every drone (in fact, it is required)

I used my trusty Brother Label Maker, with black type on clear for my labels:
FAA Number on one side, my contact information on the other.
I also have my FAA number under the DJI logo between the antennae of my controller.

Using my label maker again, with black type on white, I put on more labels:
My contact info, complete with QR code, under the battery compartement, plus one on the bottom of each battery, and another on the bottom of my ctonroller, and another on each of my chargers, and another on my charging hub, another on the back of my tablet, and yet another on each of my carrying cases.

Most people will return these items if they find them, unless you lose it all with the case. The reason is that the Mavic is not much good without the charger and controller, and vice versa.

In fact, I have these same labels, with a QR code, on every power brick, notebook computer, phone, tablet, case, backpack, and power bank that I own. Oh, an on the dog's collars too!

The QR code goes to a web page that has my contact info, and my "reward if returned" statement.

Good job. You've thought of everything, including the dog's collar! You never know. The Mavic is so easy to fly your pooch may very well be found one day hogging your controller! Hide your phone!

If you're like me, the investment of money and time that goes into obtaining and then learning how to fly a Mavic Pro is high. It makes all of the sense in the world to me to take whatever measures one is comfortable with to feel like they have protected that investment. I got some good tips from your post, specifically about putting labels on my DJI bag, controller, and possibly on my iPhone, too. Thanks for your post and for sharing. Be safe flying.

Per the FAA FAQ:

"Failure to register an unmanned aircraft may result in regulatory and criminal penalties. The FAA may assess civil penalties up to $27,500. Criminal penalties include fines of up to $250,000 and/or imprisonment for up to three years."

Right, and so because that is such an extreme punishment for 'not registering your drone', what do you think would actually happen if you were caught by a police officer flying an unregistered drone? Do we know of any cases where someone has been punished?

I'm an advocate for not registering your drone (or, more accurately, not writing your registration number on your drone if you are FAA registered).

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan