DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

TO FAA OR NOT TO FAA......?

You must register if you are flying a drone as heavy as the Mavic in the USA. It costs $5. Penalties are much higher if a very minor accident or incursion brings the attention of the FAA onto you.

It's not a tail number; you're registering the pilot not the drone. The same number can go on all your drones.

The registration number must be put somewhere on the drone that people can access and see without using any tools. Inside the Mavic battery bay is okay.

Can non US Mavic owners who travel to the States regularly register with the FAA too? I'm assuming we have to to fly in the USA?

This is a good technique. I also keep the same in my FlyMore bag and hard cases. But you still need to mark the number somewhere on the drone. (Inside the battery compartment is fine unless that model of drone needs a tool to open it.) This is so that anyone who finds the crashed carcass of the drone can link it back to the pilot through the FAA.

Oh, I do. First thing I did when I opened the box was slap that label on inside the battery compartment.

Another great idea and approach to the problem.

I can envision the impact your approach would have on the average Joe and Jane Q. Public who a drone pilot may encounter. I am CERTAIN that seeing the letters "FAA" followed by a set of official-looking numbers validates drone flying to a level in their eyes that mere words, alone, cannot express or transmit. Flashing an official ANYTHING has its due effects upon most people and does open many closed doors. And as you stated, EVERYTHING you say and point to via your approach is 100% legal, correct and valid, in all 50 states. Not bad. Not bad at all.

In fact, I'm gonna get some of these and become even more "bonafide". ;)

61VvbIAfEzL._SL1300_.jpg

Reactions: CC Rider
Right, and so because that is such an extreme punishment for 'not registering your drone', what do you think would actually happen if you were caught by a police officer flying an unregistered drone?
There's no telling what will actually happen if you're caught. However, it's in your best interest to register and attach your number if you want to follow the law. You're not going to change the law by trying to start some type of large movement where people refuse to register and/or attach their number. You might waste a colossal amount of your free time though.

Reactions: CC Rider
You can register on the FAA's website here.

Battery bay is perfect.

On my Tarot Hex, it is on the frame, but covered with tape with "FAA Registration Number Underneath". For the simple reason, somepersonbody can copy the number, place it on their aircraft and if they get into trouble, the aircraft does some damage and they run/split, it is tied to the owner of the number.

That's why it is not visible, but either removing the battery on the Mavic, or removing the covering tape, the number is there, and zero tools.

Are most people registering their Magic Pros with the FAA and getting a N number assigned? If so, where are people displaying their N tail number? Just looking for ideas of where to display my new number
I'm in Canada and I have an FAA reg on the off chance that I go to Montana this summer.

Bummer that it's easier to fly legally in the US as a Canadian than I can here.

No N number, BTW.

I paid the $5 so the one time I am flying in a park or something and some jerkoff ranger wants to come and hassle me, I have it. It's not on my RC anywhere. I have the confirmation email flagged and can pull it up at will.

Reactions: R1Mavic
Are most people registering their Magic Pros with the FAA and getting a N number assigned? If so, where are people displaying their N tail number? Just looking for ideas of where to display my new number
Inside the battery compartment

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cryhav0c