DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 men facing Federal Charges for stadium flyover

As much as I feel sorry for the two guys I really think they should've been aware of the consequences. I mean common sense alone should be enough to not do such a thing. I only have one question for those guys, "What were you thinking?"
That part is simple. MONEY from a viral video on YouTube.

I really hope they completely throw the book at Dailon Dabney. Full and max sentencing INCLUDING PRISON TIME (to the max). He is (seemingly) an arrogant pr^©k!
I, for one, don't think we should put people in prison for dumb stunts that don't really hurt anyone. It doesn't take a lot of effort to imagine a scenario, in such a system of justice, where a drone pilot makes an honest mistake or oversight, but pisses off the wrong people and lands themselves in prison because some DA wanted to make an example of them. Like, obviously there are times when there is felonious/harmful intent (going back to the terrorism issue, or perhaps using a drone to abet a robbery or something) where a prison sentence might ultimately be appropriate, but this wasn't that.

Ya know... As meticulous as DJI is in terms of making droning a pain in the festerus with their geofencing, you would think that something as simple as as including a leaflet in their boxes with the general rules of the road for droning. While it would be feasible to include country specific material to the countries they export to (possibly attached to the outside of the packaging) or even general rules that all countries pretty much follow on the inside.

Everyone in the hobby/business wants to keep the activity of droning in good stead with the public, but someone buying a drone for the first time might not even think about stuff like... not flying over Bengals stadium... or over people in general. Until they dial into a forum like this one, without the information which outlines the basic "rules of the road...err.. air" how would they know? When I started with my first drone I knew nothing but used common sense until I did, asking for permission to fly over buildings or property. Staying away from people. Staying fairly close to the ground until I learned of a general 400' ceiling.

Funny how DJI goes to greath lengths for some things and forgets another thing that is so basic, and yet so crucial.
You would think that something as obvious as NOT dropping drugs or firearms into a prison yard would be a deterrent but it isn't. To some.

You would think that something as obvious as NOT dropping drugs or firearms into a prison yard would be a deterrent but it isn't. To some.
That is something I'm not surprised happens. I guess if I were to do it, I would find something that matches the prison yard grounds and hide something in that. Then tell your mate to look for a lump that looks out of place in the yard. Don't worry, I don't know anyone in prison. Wouldn't do it anyway. Well, maybe if the girl was hot enough and not a murderer or violent nut case. LOL HEE HEE Hah Hah

Please stay on topic.

Reactions: AlanL
Neither case is moving very fast. The guy who flew over Reds game asked court for permission to apply for a passport and vacation in Costa Rica. The court said okay (but you better come back). Could be months until case is reset for trial.

• Wow
Reactions: Sparc343
Criminals gonna crime. When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will own drones.

Criminals gonna crime. When drones are outlawed, only outlaws will own drones.
That could happen. It's the same scenario if guns were outlawed.

Or, drone companies are going to have to revert to selling kits and parts, so hobbyists can build them on their own. I almost wish they would sell kits and parts with directions on how to make them fully functional.

I would get rid of all the obstacle avoidance sensors first. I think they are only needed for newbie flyers.

I, for one, don't think we should put people in prison for dumb stunts that don't really hurt anyone. It doesn't take a lot of effort to imagine a scenario, in such a system of justice, where a drone pilot makes an honest mistake or oversight, but pisses off the wrong people and lands themselves in prison because some DA wanted to make an example of them. Like, obviously there are times when there is felonious/harmful intent (going back to the terrorism issue, or perhaps using a drone to abet a robbery or something) where a prison sentence might ultimately be appropriate, but this wasn't that.

On a case by case basis, HAD it actually been a "mistake"; I'd be fine with a "warning"!

This "YOU KNOW WHAT" was such an arrogant pr^©k that if you pay attention to the comments, he literally commented that ~ if he got enough "likes" or whatever, he'd add the video of the FAA and or FBI knocking at his door!

He LITERALLY thought he'd "get away with it"! So yes, he and his kind, are the EXACT kind of person you want an example made out of!

I reiterate, THROW THE BOOK AT EM!!!

Or, drone companies are going to have to revert to selling kits and parts, so hobbyists can build them on their own. I almost wish they would sell kits and parts with directions on how to make them fully functional.

I would get rid of all the obstacle avoidance sensors first. I think they are only needed for newbie flyers.
This already exists with FPV. It's arguably a bigger market and subculture than DJI's consumer camera drones.

This already exists with FPV. It's arguably a bigger market and subculture than DJI's consumer camera drones.
I have seen all sorts of kits, but I just can't find any with the range , such that DJI has. I'm looking to make something with high powered transmitters and receivers with a minimum of 40 minute batt life . I'll be waiting another 10 years for that kind of thing. With DJI I get about 3.5 miles range with my alientech antenna. By that time, I have to turn around anyway because of battery. Does anyone know of any kits that could get this range with a powered antenna.

meaning no offence but what do kit drones have to do with the title?
It has to do with making drones that can't be tracked. fly longer and faster so they can't be caught after they perform a stupid act such as was done by these 2 men. If I was going to do something stupid like that, I would make sure I can escape without getting caught.

By the way, does it ever say how these 2 men got caught anywhere in the news or in this post? If they never say, that's a segue into another topic. Like fake news.

• Wow
Reactions: karlblessing
By the way, does it ever say how these 2 men got caught anywhere in the news or in this post?

Not sure about the Reds incident, but the previous case (Dabney) posted it to YouTube, and they got reported, says so in the news article post #1.

"Authorities say Dabney recorded his drone flight and posted the video to social media sites."

Illegal Flight Over Stadium

I think that'd be the case with the latest incident too, once the flight was made and authorities obviously know the drone was present etc, they just keep an eye on YouTube for the inevitable posting for likes / $ / viral fame.

Not sure about the Reds incident, but the previous case (Dabney) posted it to YouTube, and they got reported, says so in the news article post #1.

"Authorities say Dabney recorded his drone flight and posted the video to social media sites."

Illegal Flight Over Stadium

I think that'd be the case with the latest incident too, once the flight was made and authorities obviously know the drone was present etc, they just keep an eye on YouTube for the inevitable posting for likes / $ / viral fame.
They are either dumb, or they do not know the FAAs drone rules. If I filmed something like that, I would save it and keep it at home and never post it and certainly not brag to people that I did it, even If I showed them the clip, I would say something like , look at what my crazy friend filmed. I would only show them on a private tablet or usb card.

They are either dumb, or they do not know the FAAs drone rules. If I filmed something like that, I would save it and keep it at home and never post it and certainly not brag to people that I did it, even If I showed them the clip, I would say something like , look at what my crazy friend filmed. I would only show them on a private tablet or usb card.

The first offender was very brazen in their YouTube description and comments, really riled up the general drone populace, and no doubt the FAA once they got wind of it.
He had a few ‘supporters’ in the comments occasionally, but mostly very scathing of his flight and actions.
Strangely enough, the video all the evidence is still up on the YouTube video.

By the way, does it ever say how these 2 men got caught anywhere in the news or in this post?
I have not seen an explanation of exactly how Dabney was caught. No reference yet to the evidence in the criminal court file. But, here is some supposition:

The Grand Jury Indictment for Dailon Dabney states in part:

"Defendant, DAILON DABNEY, is the owner of a UAS later identified as a Dll Mavic AIR 2 with serial number 3N3BHCA O 12025T (hereinafter "the Drone")...the Drone is not registered with the FAA." So they had to find him another way.

Maybe an Aeroscope or similar device captured the flight and serial #. Dabney bragged about the flight on Youtube. Subpoena to YT would likely yield real name and address. FBI knocked on Dabney's door. He did not open it the first time. But he wrote on YT that FBI came to his door which proves they were at the right place. A virtual confession. A variation on the old you’re done Bud, we got the chat logs.

The FBI found the drone at his residence or somewhere because the Air 2 was taken into custody and the feds are seeking to permanently confiscate.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan