DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

30 Seconds of Lightning - 9 pics and a Preflight.

Phantomrain.org

Approved Vendor
Reactions
1 Battery : 1 strong wind and a few thunder booms a ton of rain and than came the Lightning fast and furious .
The Weather map never saw the storm coming , nor the rain. :oops: Climate out of control ?

Although these are video Frames they are 4K , there not to bad for Pitch black skies and the Air 2S against the wind.
To many to Post them all but these were interesting. Full video on the website

Audio : is chop fest do to the Sony Cam and the Rain.

2021-07-25_05h42_07.png

2021-07-25_05h42_35.png

2021-07-25_05h43_00.png

2021-07-25_05h43_42.png

2021-07-25_05h44_16.png

2021-07-25_05h43_23.png

2021-07-25_05h55_10.png

2021-07-25_05h44_51.png

This was white Light burst and when I changed the Exposure i caught these Spyder monkeys behind the Curtain of White light.

2021-07-25_05h45_59.png

Last edited:
I just flew in a bad storm on Friday the lightning wasn't great but the rain and wind were brutal. Those are awesome picks thanks for sharing ??

• Love
Reactions: Phantomrain.org
I think the best part is that anyone , that gets suited up can capture something like.
You might even have a better back ground to fully immerse the lighting shots .

This is where having the 8K video for Frames would really be nice. . Mavic 3 maybe i hope.

Thank you for all the love ,

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain and Capture the Storm.

Last edited:
Update : New Flashing lights in the sky tonight and Pouring Rain.

An hour of catching the flashing lights in the sky of a Distant Storm ,, this is what i got , Each Frame captured something a little different. but it was only 1 Clean Bolt that I got.

2021-09-15_23h11_14.png

Just look at how low the clouds were but that Storm was pretty far away. I needed the zoom but it Raining to hard to concentrate on all that,

I will post video latter of all the flashing that was taking place but without Bolts, I think it was just to far away.

Here is what first saw as I lifted up in the Pouring Rain just flashes of White lighting up the night sky and surrounding buildings , but despite an hour of flying in the Rain , 3 Batteries worth , I just go the 1 Bolt .

When you see those flashes of Light , it means that the Storm is at a Distance , its not heat lighting but we call it that.
2021-09-15_23h23_32.png

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain , Land on the Water.

Reactions: Korrd and VenomXts
1 Battery : 1 strong wind and a few thunder booms a ton of rain and than came the Lightning fast and furious .
The Weather map never saw the storm coming , nor the rain. :oops: Climate out of control ?

Although these are video Frames they are 4K , there not to bad for Pitch black skies and the Air 2S against the wind.
To many to Post them all but these were interesting. Full video on the website

Audio : is chop fest do to the Sony Cam and the Rain.

View attachment 132323

View attachment 132324

View attachment 132325

View attachment 132326

View attachment 132327

View attachment 132330

View attachment 132331

View attachment 132328

This was white Light burst and when I changed the Exposure i caught these Spyder monkeys behind the Curtain of White light.

View attachment 132329
That is a spectacular video. Amazing work on the wet suit and incredible lightning shots.

• Love
I've always kind of poo-pooed your wet suits (who'd want to fly in the rain). However, after looking at some of your storm videos, I am intrigued. Five questions:
  • What issues do you have with water droplets striking the camera face while flying in the rain and does this interfere with your photography?
  • Flying into the rain, how do you keep moisture from entering the area around the gimbal assembly? Particularly, the small vents located just behind and below the gimbal.
  • After a rainy flight, what "maintenance" must be performed that is different from flying on a sunny day?
  • What camera settings do you find most beneficial for these videos? I assume your stills are video grabs.
  • What current member pricing do you have for Air 2S suits?
Sorry to be so long-winded, thanks...

• Love
Thank you ,

Very Little Maintenance : In the last 3 years I have never wiped the lens or the Wet Suit after a flight.
The Wet Suits are designed to protect the Vents : Battery : Power Button , with and Air Tight Seal.

The Motors are aluminum Brush-less motors so there able to Negotiate the water well as these are the same motors used in Submersibles. The weakest link is the Battery and the Power Button and the vents. The Wet Suit provides and Air tight seal on the Battery and the Power Button and protects the vents .

Although the DJI drones are really very water resistant on there own, the weakest link is the Battery and the Power Button. as it only takes a few minutes in the Rain for the Battery to Disconnect from the drone and for it to drop out of the sky, thus the Wet Suit creates that Air Tight seal allowing you to manage any rain that comes its way .

I do use the Auto Settings to capture and grab frames at night as i have experimented with many settings but the Auto makes the most sense for flying in Pitch black conditions .

We offer the Forum Members the Air 2S Twilight Wet Suit Package: $94.95 an comes with 3 Air Tight Battery Covers:
3 Power Button Seals: and 3 Color Designs. Black : Neon Red : Neon Blue

Email me at [email protected]
Phantomrain.org

Check out this client video that was sent to me. : Shows how the lens can be cleared after being covered .
The more you fly in the Rain , the better you get at it.

Is the gimbal water resistant?

Is the gimbal water resistant?
Yes , We have had over 100 flights in the Rain and have submerged the camera under water and thus they are both Water Resistant . The weak link is the Battery and the Power Button , and that is why the Wet Suits Provide and Air Tight Seal for both.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.

Reactions: Korrd
Cool.

Btw, how water resistant is an un-suited mavic mini?

I've been studying it, and since it does not have a top-facing battery, it seems quite rainproof by itself (other than the rear battery door & connectors.

Last edited:
Cool.

Btw, how water resistant is an un-suited mavic mini?

I've been studying it, and since it does not have a top-facing battery, it seems quite rainprooff by itself (other than the rear battery door & connectors.

When it comes to the Mini 2 flying in the Rain.

Really 3 Issues : Battery Door : and the Open Ports as well as the Sensor on the bottom are the main focus. , of the Wet Suit .

The sensors need to be protected or you will have some serious issues in flying as shown in the Rescue Jacket videos.

The Surge Mask on the bottom of the Mini 2 allows the sensors to stay clear by protecting the sensor on the bottom with a perimeter seal. The Sensor Seal on the bottom allows you to seal the Open Ports with pressure.

The Prop covers are really only need for the Salt / Sand and Stones, that can block the motors .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly in the Rain.
Screenshot 02-27-2021 07.51.44.jpg

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121