DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4 day old M2P ran over by car, incredible repair bill $$$ :(

brick

Reactions
So I was out flying around with my 4 day old Mavic 2 Pro and I landed in the parking lot of my work, exactly 25 seconds later as I was reviewing the flight video on my phone a Lexus pulls in and runs over my M2P. Seemingly on purpose by the video... I don't think it was on purpose though, anyhow it's 100% pilot error and not the Lexus driver. Video will come next..

Besides that, I want to get to my point.
BUY DJI CARE REFRESH
Check out this incredibly expensive repair bill. And no, they don't offer Student Discounts on service o_O

Rear Arm Module (Right)
Quantity: 1
Net Price : 21.00
Total Price: 21.00
Lower Cover Module
Downward Infrared Sensing System
Camera Module (Pro)
Net Price : 377.00
Total Price: 377.00
Front Arm Module (Right)
Net Price : 24.00
Total Price: 24.00
Repair Service Fee
Quantity: 2
Net Price : 65.00
Total Price: 130.00

Tax (Texas sales tax)
Shipping Cost
Total Amount
Discount
0.00 :oops::mad:
Total Payment (USD$)
641.52 :eek:

Has anyone else had to repair their drone without DJI Care Refresh?
Or am I the only person stupid enough to fly without?

Specifically how much was your M2P Camera Module?
I feel that I'm being ripped off here. I haven't paid yet because it seems excessive.
Please post your thoughts on my repair bill.

IMG_3354.JPGIMG_3367.JPG

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
I can do a similar repair for around $450 $500

What probably happened is your camera barrel got damaged, and they cant repair it, they have to replace it. Your motor assembly is fine. LF arm needs replacing, actually it looks like just the leg.

Let me tell you this, if this is what a Mavic looks like after getting run over by a car, DJI knows how to design a drone!

Feel bad for you mate. Hope you get back in the air soon

Reactions: brick
That repair bill seems reasonable considering what happened to the drone. On the bright side it lives to fly another day, it could have ended much worse.
The driver was most probably on their phone doing whatever ;)
I stand at the landing point before the drone lands, wait for it to land and then pick it up and move it to a safe spot. All to avoid accidents like this or people tripping over it or whatever, I don't have that much faith in humans ;)

Just send it to Thunderdrones and be happy it was not a total write-off. Though, after looking at the video, I can't imagine why you would leave it in a public drive/parking lot while sitting in your car after landing it. I am assuming you did not even go over to turn it off.

I feel your loss but you really should have gone to it, the moment it landed and picked it up and taken it back to your car. Maybe you can fond some used parts for the repair, to minimize your costs. Sad to see it get runover, but it is small and blends in a bit with the ground, so I doubt the driver even saw it.

In the past I have put my Nikon DSLR on the roof of my car while I opened the door and put other things in my arms, inside and then got in. I started up buckled up then drove off, only to hear a scraping noise on the roof then look in the mirror to see it tumbling down the road. Expecting nothing more than an expensive rattle when I ran back to it, all that was damaged was the metal pentaprism and the focus screen inside. I replaced the screen and lived with the little dent and was amazed it only had that damage.

A year later I did the same thing with my Hasselblad. Thankfully it was in its leather case, and inside a cardboard box, so no damage at all. Twice was more than enough, I never place anything on a car anymore. Good luck with your repairs and be comforted in knowing you are not the only dumb one.

Last edited:
Just send it to Thunderdrones and be happy it was not a total write-off. Though, after looking at the video, I can't imagine why you would leave it in a public drive/parking lot while sitting in your car after landing it. I am assuming you did not even go over to turn it off.

I feel your loss but you really should have gone to it, the moment it landed and picked it up and taken it back to your car. Maybe you can fond some used parts for the repair, to minimize your costs. Sad to see it get runover, but it is small and blends in a bit with the ground, so I doubt the driver even saw it.

In the past I have put my Nikon DSLR on the roof of my car while I opened the door and put other things in my arms, inside and then got in. I started up buckled up then drove off, only to hear a scraping noise on the roof then look in the mirror to see it tumbling down the road. Expecting nothing more than an expensive rattle when I ran back to it, all that was damaged was the metal pentaprism and the focus screen inside. I replaced the screen and lived with the little dent and was amazed it only had that damage.

A year later I did the same thing with my Hasselblad. Thankfully it was in its leather case, and inside a cardboard box, so no damage at all. Twice was more than enough, I never place anything on a car anymore. Good luck with your repairs and be comforted in knowing you are not the only dumb one.

I once drove about 10km with 2 batteries in a case on the top of the cover of back of my pickup, honestly don’t know how it was still there when I got home.

Ouch, I feel for ya, don’t be too hard on yourself. I was flying my P4P near a tree in the winter and a prop hit a little twig (that I didn’t see) . Broke the prop, crashed the bird into the snow. I thought it had a soft landing in the snow, nope. Bent the gimbal arm, broke a landing leg, it’s a huge job to repair. Lesson learned. Trees will go out of their way to attack innocent drones.

Sorry to hear that. Just got my M2Z back from DJI. My only damage was the right front leg was bent in a low height crash. Paid $66 although I have DJI refresh. They sent me a new drone. I lucked out. Very happy with that.

I know someone who said his next car would have cup holders on the roof considering how many times he’s driven off and had his coffee spill all over the roof and down the windows.

Thankfully there was no damage at all to the Lexus!!
I would certainly be liable, as it's 100% aircraft operator error. No question there.

It's an expensive lesson to learn, but thankfully not near as expensive as it could have been!!
I felt I could operate the Mavic with precision, as I have 30+ hours in a Cessna 172, and had the DJI Tello's operation down very smoothly before getting the big boy.
Smooth operation can't fix stupid though!! :D

I'm sorry to hear I'm not the only person making mistakes! Youe close-encounter with the Hasselblad makes my skin pale!! :eek:

I am never going to land again unless I'm standing right near the Mavic. And will invest in some traffic cones and a landing pad! Great tips.

-CJ

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dronesforlife