DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

48mp super resolution

mhanks03

Reactions
So I did a search and couldn’t find anything. Is M2 zoom the only one capable of doing this? Can’t find anything on the M2P. Thanks!

Is that something DJI can release in a software update? Or is it only specific due to the capabilities of the zoom camera? Seems odd they would only let the lower costing model have that function.

Reactions: Mavic Pro Platinum
The operation method is that instead of taking a single shot at wide angle it zooms in and takes multiple then stitches to provide the same field of view but with higher res.
So it depends on the zoom lens.

Reactions: ballerhe75
Super resolution is one of features that interests me quite a bit but I have not seen many examples of images created using super resolution. Waiting to see the results from various pilots out there. If I do purchase, I have a specific project that the drone would be used for but likely not until the spring time.

So I did a search and couldn’t find anything. Is M2 zoom the only one capable of doing this? Can’t find anything on the M2P. Thanks!

If you have Photoshop or PhotoAcute you can do superresolution using bursts. See my thread Better Stills from the Mavic from 2017. It's a technique similar to what Olympus, Pentax and Sony use in-camera, but you can use any camera to do the same thing. Follow that thread down to an example I posted. Won't work well with moving objects, but the Mavic Pro is stable enough to get surprising results. YMMV.

Most of the 'canned' stuff DJI offers (like dronie in quick shots). can be done manually. All the pano modes can be done manually and assembled in post.. DJI throws them in as simple conveniences.

I actually find the super res feature very convenient. You get a 48 megapixel image (8000 x 6000) of -exactly- what your seeing on your tablet/phone at the instant you press the shutter button. The M2Z takes all the shots with the perfect overlap, then stitches them together while you're still in the air.

I don't use it a lot, but it's nice to have available..

Last edited:
Reactions: ff22 and Elude
You get a 48 megapixel image (8000 x 6000) of -exactly- what your seeing on your tablet/phone at the instant you press the shutter button. The M2Z takes all the shots with the perfect overlap, then stitches them together while you're still in the air.

It is actually not instant - because it has to take multiple photos and stitch them, you don't get anything the instant you press the shutter button. Pressing the shutter button in SR mode simply initiates the process of taking multiple photos, and the drone will then do it's little dance in the air while it attempts to take the super resolution photo. If anything interrupts it (like wind) you have to start over. It would be nice if you could just fly around instantly capturing 48MP stitched panoramas, but unfortunately it's much slower than that.

Personally I would much rather have a 20MP image from a 1" sensor than a stitched 48MP image from a tiny 1/2.3" sensor. You would have far more flexibility in post processing with the 20MP image as well, and it would accept up-res software much better if you did want to increase its resolution for a gigantic print. Still, it's a feature that I'd rather have than not have, because why not.

When I said instant, what I met was that you get exactly what you've framed on the screen in the form of a 48 MP photo when you press the shutter. Yes, it takes 10-15 seconds for the camera to zoom then grab the images needed to make up the 48 MP picture. (This is much faster and more accurate than can be done by hand).

As I mentioned, I don't use it much. My plan is to take a shot of my property from the air in the spring when everything is nice and green. (Got the M2Z too late in the year for that)..

I'm going to print that as poster sized image for my wall. With the super res image I can get a 3 foot by 2 foot image printed with 222 dots per inch. Can't do that with a 20 MP image.

jwt: Based on my limited knowledge of graphics and imagery, I tend to think CD is correct but I would like to see a comparison of your method with CD's using 20 vice 12mb images. As he mentioned, there are also some amazing apps available now that can upsample your images to billboard sizes or larger with exceptional resolution, clarity, and sharpness. And for your large format print, I can recommend Snapfish and Shutterfly, both produce excellent prints. You could even have it printed on white canvas which is a pretty cool medium, also recommended. (Easy Canvas Prints)

I'm going to print that as poster sized image for my wall. With the super res image I can get a 3 foot by 2 foot image printed with 222 dots per inch. Can't do that with a 20 MP image.

You can get a better print from fewer, larger, quality pixels than you can from more, poor quality pixels. Also, as I said earlier, a quick run through easily accessible up-res software (Photoshop, Topaz GP, etc.) will have that 20MP image looking better at 48MP than a 48MP image stitched from four tiny 1/2.3" sensor 12MP images. It's the same reason a print from a 16MP DSLR can be made to look much better than a print from a 28MP smartphone, for example. Megapixels are only one part of the equation - there are so many other things that make a big difference such as file malleability, lens quality, noise, diffraction (which is already a problem for the M2Z at F3.8, which is the aperture at 48mm where the Zoom takes it's SR photos). Viewing distance is also a major consideration, as is the print medium - some are far more forgiving than others.

Also you can stitch the same 20MP images from the M2P if you wish, which is extremely easy to do manually and would also yield an even better result than either of the above options. The drone just doesn't do it for you, but external software is better at stitching anyhow.

OK OK... You have no use for the feature. I like it. We'll have to leave it there.

Still, it's a feature that I'd rather have than not have, because why not.

I did not say that, in fact I said the opposite, but OK. I make prints as part of my living and was simply trying to share some experience. I have printed everything from smartphone photos to 6 foot murals from stitched 46MP FF DSLR images, on everything from canvas to metal to wood, so I have pretty much been through it all.

Sorry but this is awsome and funny. The zoom actually capable of taking higher resolution photo than the Pro. (without post production). There will always be the fight between the Pro and the zoom. Glad I got Zoom.

I do think the same. So many people saying the PRO is the best but I can do well with the Zoom.
With the superresolution 48MP I can get the same as the PRO. Only with low light it might be better. Overall they are both great cameras and nice drones.

Attachments

• PanoramicaC1.JPG
    9 MB · Views: 18
Reactions: Texas Bluebonnet
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13