DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

4k 60fps at H.265 not playing back on MacBook Pro 2015

Coming from the Mavic. Air. No problems with editing any files that come from it on my iPad Pro. Nothing but problem using the Mavic air 2. I’m sending it back because I can’t afford a brand new drone and a brand new iPad/laptop at the same time

So just running some tests with that test clip, my older 7th gen I5 with no gpu also decodes the clip I posted fine with hardware decoding.

my old 2011 macbook pro i5 will play the file but it's far from smooth and I could cook eggs on it after 30 sec on playback.

I think if your pc can decode h.265 appropriately and you are planning to encode to h.264 you should be fine, but if you want to encode to h.265 you better have a really could computer.

I'm very curious to see how editing goes once I get my MA2.

Coming from the Mavic. Air. No problems with editing any files that come from it on my iPad Pro. Nothing but problem using the Mavic air 2. I’m sending it back because I can’t afford a brand new drone and a brand new iPad/laptop at the same time

Unless you are working with 4K/60 then just record in h.264.

Seems like a silly reason to send the drone back unless it’s just an excuse.

No excuses. It’s the stated problem plus the fact that 1080 120 FPS footage did transfer and it looks terrible like 480p.

if changing the codec can fix this and also allow me to transfer all other files no 4K 60 I would gladly keep it and upgrade to the latest iPad Pro in the next few weeks so be able to use 4K 60.

since when ipads have been made for video editing / encoding? or I've missed something

since when ipads have been made for video editing / encoding? or I've missed something
Since the time when Apple included hardware video encoding/decoding support in their A series SOC and software developers created apps to take advantage of it. Having file system access with external volumes in IPad OS makes the later IPads a competent mobile editing alternative.

Reactions: pelagic_one

Changing to h.264 worked. Able to transfer video files. It seems still photos are not saving to the SD card and their not saved in the DJI fly album. Any idea why this would be?

Since the time when Apple included hardware video encoding/decoding support in their A series SOC and software developers created apps to take advantage of it. Having file system access with external volumes in IPad OS makes the later IPads a competent mobile editing alternative.
oh c'mon, wouldnt consider any ipad as valid device to do such thing :) HD/2k probably but 4k? not a hope

• Haha
Reactions: bp328i
oh c'mon, wouldnt consider any ipad as valid device to do such thing :) HD/2k probably but 4k? not a hope
What you might consider is an issue for you- reality is that the later IPads are a genuine option for video editing. They pull the pants down on a large proportion of laptops and many desktop computers in comparative performance. No issue handling 4K files from the M2.

there are not an option, theyre tablets and whatever apple calls them it doesnt change fact that for 4k editing you need pretty decent pc - not a tabled, end of story

• Haha
according to this these ipads should handle it, and the mac editions were already posted. Depending on the ipad pro I'm guessing the 120mbit is probably a bit too much for SOC

Reactions: pelagic_one
there are not an option, theyre tablets and whatever apple calls them it doesnt change fact that for 4k editing you need pretty decent pc - not a tabled, end of story

I don’t think words like “computer” or “tablet” are relevant anymore. Especially with processing power in Apple A series chips.

when I got my 2017 IPad Pro I had a 2016 MacBook Pro and the iPad Pro could edit 4K footage with no stutter and render much faster than premier pro on my MacBook. I have been Grading and editing 4K for 2 years on an iPad Pro so much so that I sold my MacBook Pro

You really need to do more research on the 2018/2020 iPad Pro's, end of story.
of course lol, their processing power is still lower than my 2017 build pc ... love all that apple fanboy talk :)

of course lol, their processing power is still lower than my 2017 build pc ... love all that apple fanboy talk :)
Again, you need to do some more research, and, Andriod user here for life! Note 10+, Galaxy Watch 46mm not even close to an Apple fanboy (almost the exact opposite).

But I can give credit where credit is due. Unless your 2017 PC build is high-end a 2018/2020 iPad Pro will walk circles around it for 4k video editing.

Again, you need to do some more research, and, Andriod user here for life! Note 10+, Galaxy Watch 46mm not even close to an Apple fanboy (almost the exact opposite).

But I can give credit where credit is due.
Yeah and after ~7years I think they finally have mouse support. or so I heard

The new hardware is amazing, but for that money I can get an i7 laptop with VR capable gpu and 4k screen and have money left over for my galaxy tab s6 tablet

Iike to watch 4k video on a 4k screen as well

Last edited:
Reactions: crosswired

I thought you might like to know that I have 2 iPad Pro 2018’s and I have been editing 4K &this 8K video on both of them. It’s like working with soft butter. For many years I was just like you and had never tried an Apple product, well I wish I had tried them much earlier.

But I can give credit where credit is due. Unless your 2017 PC build is high-end a 2018/2020 iPad Pro will walk circles around it for 4k video editing.
never have had any other than high-end ... anyways, my current pc build is even faster so would never consider a tablet when can use keyboard and mouse ... not to mention overall processing power,
anyways, tablets are good when comes to fly drones or ...play candy crush :)

• Haha
Yeah and after ~7years I think they finally have mouse support. or so I heard

The new hardware is amazing, but for that money I can get an i7 laptop with VR capable gpu and 4k screen and have money left over for my galaxy tab s6 tablet
I have one Apple product, a 2018 11" iPad Pro. I also have a laptop with an i7-8550U with a Nvidia GeForce MX 150. The iPad handles 4k video editing so much better, it's a night and day difference.

Last edited:
Reactions: Butterfly Copper
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji