DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

5 Ways to Prevent Flyaways

How about every time DJI force us to do a firmware / app upgrade they don't keep making all the app setting default.
Everytime I do an app update I have to reset all my setting back to the way I want them. i.e. collision avoidance and RTH height

How about every time DJI force us to do a firmware / app upgrade they don't keep making all the app setting default.
Everytime I do an app update I have to reset all my setting back to the way I want them. i.e. collision avoidance and RTH height
Waaaa...
It's not that hard to reenter preferred settings.
1st world problems:rolleyes:

Reactions: Steven_parrett

Someone needs to feedback to DJI to give us the option to retain user settings.

Waaaa...
It's not that hard to reenter preferred settings.
1st world problems:rolleyes:
It shouldn't be an issue, if I could update firmware on an opensource flight controller but keep my settings, why can't dji?

Having to re-enter the settings is a good thing . It forces you to check and make sure they are set correctly . Too many people set them once and forget . You should actually check them before each flight .

As others say, a review is possibly a good thing.

I'd be happy with a "Checklist" page that shows me all of the settings along with a shortcut to a setting I don't like - with return to the checklist page.

Reactions: TomD6807

I find point number 2 to be incredibly idiotic. Like the DJI engineers have a minuscule understanding of sensor "products" and integration.

QUOTE: " GPS only determines the drone’s location; the compass determines its orientation. "​

Newsflash DJI: GPS also provides accurate velocity information in three directions (East, North, Up) and thus a very accurate direction and speed can be calculated with grade 7 math.

So, whenever the drone is in movement they can be getting ground track information from the GPS either directly (part of its messages) or by computation from the velocity data.

Further, if there is compass interference, then the current track of the GPS can be used in conjunction with the IMU for short term orientation.

On top of all that, such would be 2 orders of magnitude more accurate than the magnetic compasses on board - indeed use such for short term calibration of compass error!

The Mavic (and other DJI drones) have impressive sensor suites and DJI are avoiding using them to improve the navigation ability of the same drones!

Reactions: RedBully
A responsible remote pilot (PIC) needs to ensure verification of settings are part of your pre-flight checklist.

Reactions: lweekspors
A responsible remote pilot (PIC) needs to ensure verification of settings are part of your pre-flight checklist.
FLYING, weather in the seat or on the ground is a huge responsibility. That is why any responsible pilot performs his checklist. Both for the plane, the pilot and those around. If you don't want to take responsibility then don't fly, simple enough.

I find point number 2 to be incredibly idiotic. Like the DJI engineers have a minuscule understanding of sensor "products" and integration.

QUOTE: " GPS only determines the drone’s location; the compass determines its orientation. "​

Newsflash DJI: GPS also provides accurate velocity information in three directions (East, North, Up) and thus a very accurate direction and speed....
Hey Alan I don't see how your newsflash refutes the need for a compass to determine orientation. How exactly do you propose the GPS derives the drones orientation? For arguments sake the drone is travelling east at 10ms. Can you explain to me how the GPS alone could tell if it is flying sideways forward or backwards. I feel you are confusing orientation (derived from a compass) with direction of travel through space. The three directions you speak of, are relative to the previous GPS position and nothing to with the the aircraft's heading, which the GPS cannot know unless a compass is involved.

Quite surprised if your really think DJI engineers have a minuscule understanding of sensor "products" and integration BTW ;)

Reactions: c36steve
Hey Alan I don't see how your newsflash refutes the need for a compass to determine orientation. How exactly do you propose the GPS derives the drones orientation? For arguments sake the drone is travelling east at 10ms. Can you explain to me how the GPS alone could tell if it is flying sideways forward or backwards. I feel you are confusing orientation (derived from a compass) with direction of travel through space. The three directions you speak of, are relative to the previous GPS position and nothing to with the the aircraft's heading, which the GPS cannot know unless a compass is involved.

Quite surprised if your really think DJI engineers have a minuscule understanding of sensor "products" and integration BTW ;)

+1
GPS give you ONLY position, but no orientation.

But data from the IMU can give predicted orientation- if the gyros are good and clean then indeed calculations based solely on IMU data can be quite accurate. But at some point error accumulation will make this not so reliable. But combined with good GPS data, then it could be done- the compass would merely be a sanity check (which in fact the DJI software does do).

But data from the IMU can give predicted orientation..
Sure it can. But not without knowing its orientation from another source (compass) at some point. Sit the drone in a hover and spin it on the spot for a minute or so and I reckon the IMU might start to lose the orientation plot, without a compass to refer to.

But data from the IMU can give predicted orientation- if the gyros are good and clean then indeed calculations based solely on IMU data can be quite accurate. But at some point error accumulation will make this not so reliable. But combined with good GPS data, then it could be done- the compass would merely be a sanity check (which in fact the DJI software does do).

Yes if the IMU really works properly Alans proposal would work. The compass is of course going to be the device of choice but I wonder if the forward and rear compasses disagree does the Mavic use the IMU and GPS data to decide which one is correct?

Rob

Reactions: AlanTheBeast
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure