DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

About to be a Newbie

Cargodog

Reactions
Well, finally about to jump into the drone game. OmniView in Toronto has the Mavic 2 Zoom on for a pretty good price, and as a former private pilot and years in the aviation biz, I've been itching to start enjoying a drone.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on what they had wish they had done differently their first time getting or operating a drone? I'd rather learn from the experiences of others than to try and learn myself. Any must have mods or add-ons (aside from the Fly More bundle). Any learning material that you'd recommend. Or anything at all in general.

Thanks again, looking forward to all the reading here and hopefully being able to share my noob experiences next week.

Welcome to Mavic Pilots! :) Enjoy the forum!Thumbswayup

✋Hi from Florida ?

Not one to give advice on models. Have a few P4’s and a MMini. If buying now, I would buy nothing less than a MPro, Careful with the accessories though, it can easily get out of hand.
Good luck whichever you decide. Fly safe

You will love it. My advice would be before you takeoff make sure you have enough satellites displayed and make sure you hear the recording home point recorded. I would go out to a good wide open field with no trees and obstacles in the way and get used to flying it remember the higher up you are the better off you are can’t hit nothing up there. Take your time and learn it.

Welcome to the forum.

Best to just learn to fly well first, concentrate on the flight controls, systems, how everything works.
Certainly, take a few photos and record video in really safe environments while learning to fly, but don't get hung up on that side of it too much.

Big open are like a sports ground / field, empty park, maybe beginners mode for the first couple of batteries.

Check out YouTube tutorials, unboxing, setting up, adjusting settings, first flight, tricks to learning to fly well, it's all there.

Read up here is also highly recommended, the M2Z sub forums, crash forums, you pick up all the little things to watch.

Later there are great cinematic guides on YouTube.
Then there's editing !!

Enjoy the new drone and learning curves, it's a great hobby.

I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions on what they had wish they had done differently their first time getting or operating a drone?

Welcome to the forum! My first drone experience was New Year's Day this year, so I can still recall my early experiences with my Mavic Mini and this forum. I wish I could go back and do it all over again.

What I did:
  1. Went out and flew.
  2. Came back and asked a question that quickly revealed to everyone I had not read the manual.
    • My question also revealed I had not done a simple keyword search on the forum first.
    • My question was something like: "What are those diagonal/zebra stripes on the Fly app while flying?"
What I should have done:
  1. Read the manual until I can regurgitate the content with some semblance of comprehension.
  2. Go out and fly.
  3. Search the forum before posting a "Zebra" question that everyone sees every few weeks.
This is self-deprecating humor, but you can laugh with me, too. :D

Again, welcome to the forum. Nice choice on your M2Z!

Welcome to the forum from the deserts of w! Enjoy.
And here’s where to get the full 70 page version of the manual for your new drone to be. Above recs are the way to go... other good stuff on the linked page too.

Welcome to the forum. You are right about managing your expectations and learn about your aircraft. You will find all sorts of support and comments. Wish you well on your flights. We look forward to seeing your view of the world.

Welcome friend. Things that are needed for beginners....
ND filters
Good respect of local drone laws and regulations
Figure out how to use your drones last known gps location to find it in the event you crash
Make a pre flight checklist (although as a pilot you prob already do this). Im a big advocate of pre flight checks. I think they can help reduce many many problems.

Good luck!

Welcome to Mavic Pilots .
I hope you will find our site helpful and look forward to any input , photo's/video's you might post .
Don't be shy and ask anything if you can't find it by searching
and stay safe.. Thumbswayup

I bought the Mavic 2 Zoom. I LOVE IT! The pictures and video are just incredible ! I made a movie of our family Vacation with the Mavic and everyone just thought it was so amazing.

I bought the fly more kit and also one more battery. Oh and a hard case! That was a must!

For me: This was A GREAT READ!

Welcome to the Forum. I am also a private pilot, drone pilot, fly RC planes and a fellow Canadian. You will have to learn the laws governing RPAS (drones) in Canada. The link I’ve attached is the latest on those laws from TC. Along with all the other learnings you will face, this one is also very important.
Enjoy the learning, the flying and the fun.

https://www.tc.gc.ca/ca-publications/AIM_2020-1_E_RPA.pdf

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan