DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Accidently Pointed my high intesity Spot Lights at A Sheriff's vehicle while night flying. I flew straight home after that. Oops.

While flying my M3 at night, I saw a truck just sitting in an odd place. I pointed my spot lights at it, noticed it had a number on it's roof, so , me being curious, I wanted to know if it was a cop or work truck or a citizen patrol truck, or whatever. Turned out , I was shining my Lights on a Sheriff. OOPS !

Here is the video. Sheriff shows up near the end of the video as I leave the scene and head home.

If he finds you and asks, just tell him you were looking out for any catalytic converter thieves in the area.

• Haha
Reactions: Don Testme
If only one light was mounted on the side up front, would it knock the drone out of balance or would it work fine?

Motors on the heavy side just work a little harder. The M3 however can handle well over 500g of extra weight when balanced. I just checked a similar light, and it weighs in at under 200g.
This ones weight only 87g each.

If only one light was mounted on the side up front, would it knock the drone out of balance or would it work fine?
I often fly my drone with a 7oz to 10 oz light on only one side. I can't tell any difference in flight characteristics. The drone compensates by speeding the motors up on the side where the light is. It stays balanced.

I certainly don't like putting a light on top of the drone, ABOVE THE PROPS. If it falls off, you may be in a world of hurt.

Reactions: Walleye Hunter
Nice. I wonder if you can do something to turn this on or off in mid flight?

Good for night assist in search and rescue.

But for leisure droning, might get some negihbors pissed and add to the bad rep of drones. Hope you did not get the sheriff ticked off, or inadvertently interfered in some police operation, or have some neighbors call in and file a complaint with the sheriff's department.

Can your lights be turned on & off remotely?

@sar104 @Meta4 @slup Can you explain me whey is this happening at nights only if is a magnetic field interference? Does not make sense for me.
When you tested during daylight did you have the lights switched on? Those lights will draw significant DC current, which will have an associated magnetic field that may well take the compass out of calibration.

@sar104 @Meta4 @slup @GFields @msinger
Let me explain me better on this video. Having the flashing lights on or off the drone beehive in the same way in the darkness or nights. During day lights there is no problem. Check the video.

I guess the lights magnets are conflicting with the compass, but with sufficient lights the drone relay on the vision sensors. but if this is the case, the compass error should stay on even with sufficient illumination.

I can not produce a flying log because the motor are not on.

While flying my M3 at night, I saw a truck just sitting in an odd place. I pointed my spot lights at it, noticed it had a number on it's roof, so , me being curious, I wanted to know if it was a cop or work truck or a citizen patrol truck, or whatever. Turned out , I was shining my Lights on a Sheriff. OOPS !

Here is the video. Sheriff shows up near the end of the video as I leave the scene and head home.

So do you fly with that spotlight a lot at night? I am sure some would object to a spotlight scanning their properties at night. You are probably legal, but I doubt they would like that. That light could be used for a search and rescue or looking for someone running from the police - cool video.

I checked out the video on youtube and gave you a like over there too.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Roger-N