DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alientech, Titan, Nanosync, 4HAWKs. Which for 2019?

Which of the Following Antennae would you rate the Wisest Solution. Please Elaborate :)

• Total voters
Thanks Madcaw, Jamie.

I saw the car mount. Maybe down the track.
The 5dbi whips should be enough first time out.

The 9dbi are the ones used on the Command Case I think, so I might take my eyes out!
I like the long antennas on the Alientech in this thread.

Shame they are obscure as a company, product.

My Last order from China did a Grand Tour of the world with eBay shipping (weeks overdue), so
am keen to buy local, or as close as possible this upgrade.

So i think Titan gets my *cough* "our" money. 'It's the Law hon, you have to fly a certain frequency now' ;)

Will post some pics, reports if all goes well.

I have learned that it’s easier and cheaper to boost and change your own antennas. If you want to go nuts and make a fancy enclosure like alientech and titan, you can! I have gotten the same range with my own mods, that are very simple and affordable.

Reactions: RedPr and Jeffm912
I have learned that it’s easier and cheaper to boost and change your own antennas. If you want to go nuts and make a fancy enclosure like alientech and titan, you can! I have gotten the same range with my own mods, that are very simple and affordable.
Exactly what he said! Boosted they are all about the same it only matters how much you want to spend. If money grows on trees get them all. If you're anything like the rest of money comes at a premium and isn't to be pissed away.

Jeff

Reactions: Texas Mavic
Fair call and I have done more DIY projects over the last 12 years than I care to count. BUT, I don’t believe that because I have chosen to purchase a quality kit, that I’m pissing away my money. There are plenty of people that would say buying a fly out of the box drone, or even skydiving, may be pissing away money. I think we are all adults and able to make decisions on how to spend money and what we can afford (mostly :). )

Fair call and I have done more DIY projects over the last 12 years than I care to count. BUT, I don’t believe that because I have chosen to purchase a quality kit, that I’m pissing away my money.

Not aimed at you but these kits whether diy or store bought end up with similar distances. My diy and alientech panels get close to the same. It's all a matter of what you're willing to spend for aesthetics. My alientech looks much better than my diy.

Jeff

No argument here. A booster is a booster, wether it’s packed in a nice box or hanging off a wire.

Seems as if the consensus as far as boost, and let’s all average a 2.5 watt boost at 2.4ghz. 9dbi omnidirectional’s rock. They seem to match the 5-6dbi directional antennas like the Nanosync. No matter it be a diy set up or a titan, same results. And those results, if you are really into modding and pushing the envelope... lead you to the battery mod.

Reactions: Jeffm912
Fair call and I have done more DIY projects over the last 12 years than I care to count. BUT, I don’t believe that because I have chosen to purchase a quality kit, that I’m pissing away my money. There are plenty of people that would say buying a fly out of the box drone, or even skydiving, may be pissing away money. I think we are all adults and able to make decisions on how to spend money and what we can afford (mostly :). )

Exactly what he said! Boosted they are all about the same it only matters how much you want to spend. If money grows on trees get them all. If you're anything like the rest of money comes at a premium and isn't to be pissed away.

Jeff

Im not that guy who has money to spend on whatever he sees. I cant even afford Mavic 2.
I cant afford to lose one is more accurate.

But yeh, being a Human Male I like to use what little 'premium' money I have improving upgrading,
be it car, motorbike, drone, computer.
Whichever activity is giving me the most pleasure I dont mind investing more into it.

And once I have money/food again, it has usually been worth it ;)

Re, the DIY, im not the guy who can take a Mavic controller without cursing &sweating apart or who know's anything but
what youve told me, or ive googled, about antenna stuff.

Frustration with Signal is making flying less enjoyable that when in 2016, and these antenna no doubt a 'little' shady
regrding $$'s for what you get look to be the answer.

Like I said %150 of RC signal at my current locale, I will be happy

Pm sent to you Jeff btw

i've got the alientech as well as a titan switch.
the alientech is the clear winner out of the two of them on performance, but the portability is also a huge bonus. on top of that, you can just carry around an extra set of 18650 batteries as opposed to worrying about recharging the unit itself.
the titan switch with the whip antennas they sell performed worse than the stock controller with FCC 1.5w boost mod (as in no hardware mods).
the titan switch with the panel was also disappointing. HOWEVER, it works GREAT with the new Video Aerial Systems 2.4ghz Crosshair Xtreme "patch killer" as the signal really penetrates with a nice wide beam.
even then... at longer ranges the alientech will go even further, albeit with a super narrow beam that is a little challenging to keep centered on the aircraft. the fix for that is using the compass/radar on the dji go app, but with my phones the remote control hall effect sticks interfere with my phone's compass always.

one design issue:
the weight of alientech unit is entirely supported by the QMA quick release and after putting about 500 miles of flight on it, i'm noticing some wear which was causing the left side to loosen up a little. i ended up replacing it with a cable off my mavic air's alientech pro 5.8G.
alientech sells replacements and a pair of these sell for $20 + $10 shipping. it is a just a male qma to male qma with one side being threaded that you could get elsewhere, but alientech's price seems to be the lowest i've been able to find for this connector.

i've got the alientech as well as a titan switch.
the alientech is the clear winner out of the two of them on performance, but the portability is also a huge bonus. on top of that, you can just carry around an extra set of 18650 batteries as opposed to worrying about recharging the unit itself.
the titan switch with the whip antennas they sell performed worse than the stock controller with FCC 1.5w boost mod (as in no hardware mods).

That doesn’t make sense...FCC 1.5w boost does grant additional range but it is not better than the titan switch (1.5watt vs 4.0watts).

That doesn’t make sense...FCC 1.5w boost does grant additional range but it is not better than the titan switch (1.5watt vs 4.0watts).
does it make sense if you account for the awesome dji remote antenna vs the crap titan whip antenna? try it yourself ;)

If it was so awesome, why did you purchase not one, but two range boosters?

The fcc boost got me similar range to the modded antenna with amp. The only issue I had with it is it is extremely unstable. Dropped all signal and disconnected my remote more than once while using it. Did not regain signal until after it landed and was power cycled (the AC). If I wanted that garbage I would have stayed stock and hoped it would make it back on RTH. These are a cheap investment compared to losing your mavic.

That 1.5W is on the AC not the RC from my testing.

Jeff

If it was so awesome, why did you purchase not one, but two range boosters?
i'm so glad you asked ?
i found that flying with an amplified panel antenna was so awesome that i wanted an amplified omnidirectional antenna.
the titan switch connects to my existing QMA connectors on my controller and lets me use different antennas amplified.
and i actually got a good deal on the used titan switch and the guy i bought it from is actually in this thread praising the alientech booster.

also... the crap titan whips i was referring to are the cumbersome 9dbi titan whips that you like.
i actually found 5dbi whips (Alfa ARS-NT5B) performed better than the titan 9dbi sticks.
i can't explain how or why that is, but they're $6 and you for that price, you should see for yourself.

The fcc boost got me similar range to the modded antenna with amp. The only issue I had with it is it is extremely unstable. Dropped all signal and disconnected my remote more than once while using it. Did not regain signal until after it landed and was power cycled (the AC). If I wanted that garbage I would have stayed stock and hoped it would make it back on RTH. These are a cheap investment compared to losing your mavic.

That 1.5W is on the AC not the RC from my testing.

Jeff
yeah i had a similar experience. the rc antennas are great. i just got sick of having to reboot my controller mid flight when it disconnected like that and so i stopped using the 1.5w boost. someone was saying it was an overheat issue due to DJI QC issues with thermal pad placement - i can't remember who it was, but they had pictures showing the potential issue.

Last edited:
used .700 AC & RC, I had no Crash problems with 1.5W
Theres no doubt it overheats your controller though.
The fan kicks in early. Uses a lot more battery

Over 30 degrees celicus, a lonf way from home you might get a warning like this..

Untitled.jpg

Because the controller charges your phone on Android, or is it vice versa?
Anyway, definetely some risk there.

Spoke to the Guys at Alientech and Have decided to go with the 2.4 Pro.
If it doesnt make much difference, at least it will look good doing it :)

used .700 AC & RC, I had no Crash problems with 1.5W
Theres no doubt it overheats your controller though.
The fan kicks in early. Uses a lot more battery

Over 30 degrees celicus, a lonf way from home you might get a warning like this..

View attachment 69215

Because the controller charges your phone on Android, or is it vice versa?
Anyway, definetely some risk there.

Spoke to the Guys at Alientech and Have decided to go with the 2.4 Pro.
If it doesnt make much difference, at least it will look good doing it :)
Good choice. You are going to love that setup.

Jeff

Titan cyclone switch and Titan controller those 2 are my choice check this guy video he was using the titan cyclone see how far his mavic going

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d