DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I asking too much? Weird lousy transmission on mavic pro. Losing it at 650 feet when straight up..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pointbob

Reactions
Ok. So I hope I am not asking too much. I've been noticing blinking transmission on my remote control....and lately I can barely get above 1000 feet (straight up) without it blinking. Weirdly I can fly away from me at around 500 ft altitude to a distance of 7000 feet and still a strong looking unblinky signal.

Frustrating to say the least. I tried different firmwares for both AC and RC. From 1.4.03 to 1.3.9. I even used the usb port with a stronger then stock cable...

I'm flying in a city situation near Seattle...

but seriously...blinking signal at 650 feet altitude (and if i fly much higher I lose connection with remote)....again when flown straight up from landing spot. Do the antenna need to be positioned different then the 45 degree angle??

any idea what is happening...is it a faulty remote? faulty mavic?

help
211153jdydqrh1hd4441q4.jpg

Attachments

• 211153jdydqrh1hd4441q4.jpg
    211153jdydqrh1hd4441q4.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 37
firstly, it means there’s amother signal messing with yours. Nothing you can do about it. Secondly, WTF? 1000ft, near airports? Seriously?

Near as in withing 5 miles. It's 650 feet above my apartment. Like straight up.

Are you saying what i'm doing is dangerous.

If so, I'd love to see where a dji drone brought down an airplane.

( inappropriate comment removed)

Last edited by a moderator:
Near as in withing 5 miles. It's 650 feet above my apartment. Like straight up.

Are you saying what i'm doing is dangerous.

If so, I'd love to see where a dji drone brought down an airplane.
( Mod Removed)
I couldn’t care less if you call me a child, the fact of the matter is you are violating law, big time, in more ways that one. Think about it, if a bird could bring down a plane, so can a drone, and I’ll tell you how. All it has to do is get sucked up by the engine, which will most likely destroy it.

Well it's worse now. Oh and no one replied.

I guess I'm the only one in america with this issue.

Lucky me.
Can’t say why no one responded but members here are going to be reluctant to help anyone flying over 400’.
Some might but most will walk on by.
Good luck with your issue.

again when flown straight up from landing spot. Do the antenna need to be positioned different then the 45 degree angle??
Flying straight up above is the worst angle for signal geometry and loss of signal there at that height is not unusual.
There is no way to orient your controller antennas that would provide optimum signal.

Reactions: nigel
Can’t say why no one responded but members here are going to be reluctant to help anyone flying over 400’.
Some might but most will walk on by.
Good luck with your issue.

Isn't the limit 500 meters...that's how i see it. Not feet.

As far as I know..500 m is 1500 feet....

true?

Really? All that has to happen is a 2lb plastic drone needs to get sucked in a 747 and it goes down?

OMG. You'd think that was happening every day...

But yet...it's NEVER happened and never will. Because it is impossible for a 2lb toy to take down a commercial plane.

Oh and talking about the law. You ever go 1 mile above the speed limit?

bottom line is some people need rules in life because if they did not have them they'd be sticking a fork in their eyes. or toothbrush in their ears.
Keep on and your not going to like the outcome in this.

true?
You said feet
It's 650 feet above my apartment.
Now let’s just tone it down a notch and carry on nicely. :)

Really? All that has to happen is a 2lb plastic drone needs to get sucked in a 747 and it goes down?

OMG. You'd think that was happening every day...

But yet...it's NEVER happened and never will. Because it is impossible for a 2lb toy to take down a commercial plane.

Oh and talking about the law. You ever go 1 mile above the speed limit?
( Mod Removed)
Maybe not a 747 with 4 turbines, but a smaller plane with 2. When an object is sucked in, it’s pulverized into shrapnel and will puncture everything inside including the fuel lines, which will then ignite, and then explode. It‘s happened before. It tends to happen as a plane is taking off. Which is why you flying high near an airport is ringing a bad note with me. If you were doing that further away from airports, I wouldn’t be so uptight about it. I do have common sense too. It‘s why air traffic control ground planes when radar detects a drone in range flying around without authorization. Speaking of, a similar radio signal is what’s possibly interfering with your drone communication. In any event you do you, I’ve stated my concerns.

also I would disagree with you @Meta4 there have been successful mods to the DJI software to remove the altitude cap and they were able to take it straight up beyond the clouds. 3000m. So I doubt that’s what the OP is suffering from.

true?

No - the limit is 120 meters, which is 400 ft. And complete ignorance of the law is not a valid defense.

also I would disagree with you @Meta4 there have been successful mods to the DJI software to remove the altitude cap and they were able to take it straight up beyond the clouds. 3000m. So I doubt that’s what the OP is suffering from.
You get optimum signal when the antennas are parallel to, and facing each other.
Since the antennas hang down vertically below the motors, there is no way to align the controller antennas to provide optimum signal with the drone high up, straight above the controller.
Losing signal around 500 ft straight up is very common.

You get optimum signal when the antennas are parallel to, and facing each other.
Since the antennas hang down vertically below the motors, there is no way to align the controller antennas to provide optimum signal with the drone high up, straight above the controller.
Losing signal around 500 ft straight up is very common.
Huh. I learned something.

• Wow
Reactions: dirkclod
You said feet

Now let’s just tone it down a notch and carry on nicely. :)

I think the OP means the DJI drone can fly to 500m, which is actually 1640' . . .
Of course the legal alt for drones in most of the worlds developed airspace is 120m / 400'.
The OP has a lot to learn before they hurt someone or damage property, but it's unknown whether they can / will listen to advice and develop as a drone pilot, rather than possibly causing some sort of incident in time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada