DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Angrier than ****! This is all clear as mud! Can't get past compass calibration!

Wade Gizzy

Reactions
I am trying very hard not to use profanity and being xenophobic towards the Chinese!

I was royally pissed off about my Parrot Bebop2 not having clear instructions. I was unaware about these forums and all the info on Youtube. So I thought with my new Mavic, I would have better understanding. I spent three days watching all the youtube videos about the Mavic Pro I could, and reading this forum.

The first time I try to fly my drone, the firmware seemed to load OK. I tried to calibrate the compass and kept on getting "magnetic interference". I stood out in the middle of a horse pasture 150 yards from anything that possibly could have interfered. I even took my %&#(*&% belt off. I even turned off the current to the electric fence. I had the phone on airplane mode. So, I am standing in the middle of a field, it's 32 degrees F, 15mph winds, my pants are falling down. I put in a mile walking back and forth to the barn. Nothing is *******working!

OK WTF is firmware? Is that the software of the drone itself as well as the controller? If I got to the "calibrate compass point" does that mean my firmware loaded ok?

HTF do I get the compass to calibrate?

Last edited by a moderator:
32 degrees F ain't that cold! I flew my BEbop 2 in colder weather. Is the Mavic Pro that much of a POS?

Reactions: WAXMAN
If it’s 32 and op complains staying in cold....maybe he is prone to complaining over silly stuff?
Hey have you read manual? Few here believe that after reading manual twice nothing can go wrong.

But jokes aside you most likely got a lemon.

You unfolded it, right?
Lol.

Seriously, though, have you hooked it all up to the pc and updated everything accordingly? Yes, the Firmware is the factory software. Since it's a brand new (right??) Mavic, you might as well update everything possible. Then once you get it flying, quit updating.

Try re calibrating the compass after all updates.

OP, chill out and relax. Read the instruction manual twice and then you will be an expert. You can download it as a PDF from the DJI website.

The first time I try to fly my drone, the firmware seemed to load OK. I tried to calibrate the compass and kept on getting "magnetic interference".

Repeated failure to calibrate successsfully could be due to a disconnected compass.
Go into the app settings and look at the sensor section to see what it's showing for the compass.

I am trying very hard not to use profanity and being xenophobic towards the Chinese!

I was royally pissed off about my Parrot Bebop2 not having clear instructions. I was unaware about these forums and all the info on Youtube. So I thought with my new Mavic, I would have better understanding. I spent three days watching all the youtube videos about the Mavic Pro I could, and reading this forum.

The first time I try to fly my drone, the firmware seemed to load OK. I tried to calibrate the compass and kept on getting "magnetic interference". I stood out in the middle of a horse pasture 150 yards from anything that possibly could have interfered. I even took my %&#(*&% belt off. I even turned off the current to the electric fence. I had the phone on airplane mode. So, I am standing in the middle of a field, it's 32 degrees F, 15mph winds, my pants are falling down. I put in a mile walking back and forth to the barn. Nothing is *******working!

OK WTF is firmware? Is that the software of the drone itself as well as the controller? If I got to the "calibrate compass point" does that mean my firmware loaded ok?

By any chance do you wear an Apple watch?
There are reports that some Apple watches interfere with compass calibration.
See this post:
Apple Watch Magnetic Interference

Reactions: LREMavic and Stxwrx
So, I am standing in the middle of a field, it's 32 degrees F, 15mph winds,

In addition to your compass issue:
These are marginal confitions at best. Though some have flown colder and DJI says operating temps are 20-40 degrees you are going to have shorter flights. But more importantly if the winds at ground level are 15mph winds aloft are very likely to exceed the recommended 20 mph DJI limit.

Like almost all crashes the fault is more likely to be pilot error than the equipment but it is possible the equipment is at fault. Someone else suggested you update all the firmware but I think you said you did. I would suggest you go through the update process again preferably with the DJI assistant software which you can download to your PC. I would also suggest that you go to a different location and try calibrating the compass again and see if you get the same error.

As someone else suggested you need to cool down. Being angry is not the frame of mind you need to be in when you are trying to solve a problem especially with a complicated piece of engineering like the Mavic.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mayulan