DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

App Crashed Whilst Flying - What to do?

Drone_Perspectives

Reactions
Hi Everyone,

I was flying my Mavic yesterday evening when the DJI GO 4 app crashed. At the time the drone was around 500-600m away and still visible.

Shortly before the app crashed the low battery warning had gone off, so losing the camera feed and all info from the app got my heart rate racing as i knew i had to bring it home asap!

I had taken off from a rooftop and as there were railings and obstacles the takeoff / landing area was narrow, so i could not trust trying the RTH function.

However, I was still able to control (and see) the drone, so i flew it back towards me and was able to land it without the app.

This made me think of a few questions that i wanted to ask you all:

1) Does the RTH function still work without the app?
2) If it does work are you able to turn off the RTH function once the drone comes back to the desired location (eg if you would like to land manually).
3) What would you recommend doing when the app crashes during a flight?

Thanks!

Reactions: Anthonyk
I saw your post and did a search of the forum threads and found out some interesting details concerning DJIGO 4 App crashes and device choices.

Based on what has been previously posted, apparently iOS phones and devices are more stable and reliable with the Mavic and the DJIGO 4 App than are Android-based devices, so I wondered what device platform you are using. Also, when others have had the App crash on them mid-flight they merely rebooted the App ASAP and were back in control almost immediately.

I didn't see anything specifically regarding the RTH function with App crashes, but I think that RTH should still be operational as that GPS info is temporarily implanted into the Mavic itself when it launches and it returns to those stored GPS coordinates, not to the where the controller and App happen to be located, even under low battery conditions, so I don't think an App crash would adversely affect RTH. The same, I think, is true about you taking over manual control to land under those conditions as your controller does have the RTH button as well as the Pause Flight button. However, I could be way wrong about what I think applies here.

Knowing would be better. If anyone has better information about this please post it because I, too, would like to know what to expect in the event of a DJIGO 4 App crash. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.

Never take off with lots of metal around you if you plan on going a long distance and might rely on rth.
Also, at 500 m away, you CANNOT see the Mavic.
You should never fly beyond vlos.
Not only is it not safe, but it is illegal!

If the app does crash, just re-open it, it will re-connect and you will get video back

I had an app feeze once and the Mavic was away several 100m, too. In such cases you can still use the RTH button as usual. During final approach you may either pause the RTH with the Pause button or switch to Sports mode for aborting RTH and taking over manual control.

Reactions: Drone_Perspectives
Yes to the first 2, for 3 just relaunch it, and maybe disconnect/reconnect the USB cable.

I had the app crash on my 2nd day of flying. I was pretty far away and over some swampy water so my heart did skip a few beats. I raised the altitude since i was only 20 feet over the water. I restarted the app and all was fine
Android phone, Samsung S7.
Lots more flights and no problems.

Sent from my SM-G930P using MavicPilots mobile app

It crashes on me every flight. I hope dji fixes this garbage app soon. They should hire the dominoes pizza app developers.

Reactions: Scapegoat
I saw your post and did a search of the forum threads and found out some interesting details concerning DJIGO 4 App crashes and device choices.

Based on what has been previously posted, apparently iOS phones and devices are more stable and reliable with the Mavic and the DJIGO 4 App than are Android-based devices, so I wondered what device platform you are using. Also, when others have had the App crash on them mid-flight they merely rebooted the App ASAP and were back in control almost immediately.

I didn't see anything specifically regarding the RTH function with App crashes, but I think that RTH should still be operational as that GPS info is temporarily implanted into the Mavic itself when it launches and it returns to those stored GPS coordinates, not to the where the controller and App happen to be located, even under low battery conditions, so I don't think an App crash would adversely affect RTH. The same, I think, is true about you taking over manual control to land under those conditions as your controller does have the RTH button as well as the Pause Flight button. However, I could be way wrong about what I think applies here.

Knowing would be better. If anyone has better information about this please post it because I, too, would like to know what to expect in the event of a DJIGO 4 App crash. To be forewarned is to be forearmed.
Happened to me today as a matter of fact. I was trying out my Nvidia Shield 8" tablet for the first time with my RC. I was about 30 seconds into a flight and suddenly DJI GO4 crashed. I merely restarted the app and immediately reestablished video feed to the tablet. I hit the RTH button and the Mavic came right back to me.

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using MavicPilots mobile app

Closing all open apps and doing a hard shutdown on my iPhone or iPad is part of my preflight checklist. Can't hurt to make sure there's nothing in the background that may affect the dji app while running. I also put the phone in airplane mode.

On the RTH without the phone, my understanding is the RTH button on the RC still works fine.

Never take off with lots of metal around you if you plan on going a long distance and might rely on rth.
Also, at 500 m away, you CANNOT see the Mavic.
You should never fly beyond vlos.
Not only is it not safe, but it is illegal!

Just want to say that I have been able to see my Mavic at over 900m away. Of course visibility depends a lot on the seeing conditions at the time, but don't be so fast to judge just because you can't see the Mavic at those distances.

As for the OP, RTH does indeed work without the app, just press the RTH button on the RC. You can also take back manual control without the APP but using the pause button when you are ready to take back over.

Last edited:
1) Does the RTH function still work without the app?
Yes RTH works without the app. It also works without the transmitter. As long as the Home Point is set at takeoff. The Mavic will RTH under the parameters you set in the app. Always set the RTH altitude higher than the tallest obstacle. It should be set or checked on your first flight and adjusted for each location.

2) If it does work are you able to turn off the RTH function once the drone comes back to the desired location (eg if you would like to land manually).
Yes, you can cancel in the app or if the app is off you can cancel by toggling the mode switch.

3) What would you recommend doing when the app crashes during a flight?
Depends. If you are low on battery and can see it... fly it back manually and land it.
If you aren't low on battery keep flying restart the app and resume your flight.

If you have lost LOS hit return to home... when you locate it cancel return to home and continue with landing manually or reconnect the app and keep flying..

Before you fly again review the manual with specific attention to the section on RTH.

When you fly again you should practice all the scenarios mentioned above. That way when it happens you will have confidence and experience with the situation and be more likely to get your Mavic back safely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It crashes on me every flight. I hope dji fixes this garbage app soon. They should hire the dominoes pizza app developers.
The go app is amazing comparatively speaking.. try flying with Yuneec or Autel.

My DJI APP has not crashed in 271 flights across a number of platforms iOS or android. If yours is crashing "every flight" it might be something other than the app. I would start with looking at your device and the cable.

, but don't be so fast to judge just because you can't see the Mavic at those distances..

Love it. Drone police gets policed! Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: Teesquar

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair