Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Are Chinese Companies Spying On Us?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCordman

Reactions
Hi,

So New Zealand has banned Huawei. A number of countries are concerned that Huawei could be spying on them and passing data to the Chinese government. The American Army has also banned DJI because they are concerned that the data is streamed back to China.

Is it possible that the Chinese government is really spying on people and government organisations?

New Zealand is latest country to bar Huawei

Reactions: Inspirephil
Possible? Yes. Plausible, not really... While Machine learning allows for HUGE amounts of raw data processing, the simple truth is we're not that interesting. Sure there are some very specific corporate and military intelligence interests, but for the most part the data would be worthless. The amount of data you would be collecting is huge, you'd need to pipe it back to your server farms and store it, then you'd have to sort it all for value.

Now as far as the military and DJI goes, well that just makes sense. DJI has discrete control over data sent back to them, all of which has GPS coordinates. Same as fitness trackers, it's not that DJI wants to use it for nefarious purposes, it's that the data exists and is easily sniffed out and tracked by third parties.

And there's this:
Forgotten that Chinese spy chip story? We haven't – it's still wrong, Super Micro tells SEC

Reactions: reinerboehme
"The American Army has also banned DJI because they are concerned that the data is streamed back to China. "

I think I read somewhere this is not true. Anyway, everyone is spying on everyone.

That's a shame - Huawei make really good kit! It's also a shame that while we are pushed to looking in that direction we don't notice how Facebook and Instagram are being used by Foreign Government backed agencies to influence voting in Democratic Elections and Referendum's (we are actually seeing the memo's about Facebook now - but we just have 'concerns' to go on with Huawei) ... So - lets ignore those threats to democracy and our way of life, and stoke up the paranoia so we can buy non-Chinese made goods at higher pries and lower quality! - which is where this is all going ... Rant over ... :mad:

Reactions: PointG
Is the NSA or GCHQ spying on you? Or the GRU or FSB? What about Mossad?

Facebook, Amazon, Walmart?

Yep - they all are. Don’t know why people are so paranoid about the Chinese in isolation. And those same people post in public forums? Bizarre...

"The American Army has also banned DJI because they are concerned that the data is streamed back to China. "

Yea, think about that for a second. Of course data is being sent back to DJI. That's how it checks which version you have, if your NFZ is updated, all of that. There's a well established pipeline back and fourth that allows for software updates as well. COULD that be used to send GPS data? Absolutely. If you're using position hold, you're using GPS, and DJI products don't protect their data to the standards of the American Military. If one crashed it would be easy to pick up and read all of your flight information.
Again, I liken it to the military banning fitness trackers. Not a conspiracy by the Chinese, just good policy (and a little late).

Phones are a different story, here's a quote:

Tom Uren, visiting fellow in the International Cyber Policy Centre at Australia's Strategic Policy Institute, said the Chinese government had "clearly demonstrated intent over many years to steal information".

"The Chinese state has engaged in a lot of cyber and other espionage and intellectual property theft," he said.

Basically they're stealing bits of cutting edge tech to try to bring it to market faster. Corporate espionage, but not military.

Last edited:
Spying on us! The nerve of those Chinese companies, just who do they think they are, spying on US citizens.
Don't they know that is the US government's job.

Just a minute . . . There's somebody at my front door.

I'm back now! Just a couple of guys in trench coats. Started to ask me a bunch of questions like, who I voted for, how many guns I have, how much is really in my bank account. I refused to answer, so now they said it might be 10 to 20 years before I'm back.

Somehow, all those years with the government, and now my fingerprints are totally unreadable. Oh well,, life goes on!!!

drone on!!2013-06-06-danzcolor5650.jpg

I always feel like somebody's watching me
And I have no privacy
I always feel like somebody's watching me
Who's playing tricks on me?
-Rockwell

Sure they are, and they are not alone. If you really want to get your paranoia up think about all the Chinese (or other) chips that could have a "kill switch" in them. When WWIII breaks out all devices with these chips (except "theirs" of course) would stop working when the signal is sent. Think about that.

Now that you've thought about it, forget it. What use is worry? Enjoy flying and the life that is left in you.

I think I read somewhere this is not true. Anyway, everyone is spying on everyone.

1543433610490.png

Reactions: Inspirephil
I’m sure my Amazon alexa’ are eaves dropping on our conversations in our house, they light up for no apparent reason. Yep big brother comes to mind.:oops:

Possible? Yes. Plausible, not really... While Machine learning allows for HUGE amounts of raw data processing, the simple truth is we're not that interesting. Sure there are some very specific corporate and military intelligence interests, but for the most part the data would be worthless. The amount of data you would be collecting is huge, you'd need to pipe it back to your server farms and store it, then you'd have to sort it all for value...

One of Edward Snowden's revelations was that the the NSA has in fact collected all data from all available sources for many years with the secret knowledge and consent of all parties listed in the slide. Why is it hard to believe that China is not doing the same thing?

1543438906455.png

Reactions: jagraphics
That's a shame - Huawei make really good kit!
You can still fly with Huawei's superb tablets or use their phones.
The story was about a NZ company not using Huawei's equipment in constructing their 5G network infrastructure.

For anyone concerned about DJI etc "spying" on them, what is it that you think DJI would want from your drone or phone?
Does it hold the key to global domination?
How do you think they are going to get that priceless information?

And how do you deal with entities that really are spying on you every day like Google, Apple, Facebook, your credit card, the NSA etc, etc?

This topic creeps up every so often. Governments are concerned other governments are spying on them. They make a big deal about it.
For everyone else, we are already spied on by Google, Facebook, banks, our own and foreign governments, etc. I am Australian and visit US a few times. I am pretty sure the US government knows when I entered and exited and every where I've been while I was in US. Same as with every other country. My bank knows what and where I've been spending MY money. My grocery store regular emails me 'suggestions' cos they know what I usually buy, cos I have a store card with them. Too late to worry and do anything about it. Unless you want to live in a cave. That means giving up this hobby too.
DJI knows what you've bought from them, so they regular emails you with new products that comes out, like the new DJI Osmo. Same with Apple after their product released.

Reactions: dannybgoode
... If you really want to get your paranoia up think about all the Chinese (or other) chips that could have a "kill switch" in them. When WWIII breaks out all devices with these chips (except "theirs" of course) would stop working when the signal is sent. Think about that...

:oops: Thanks a lot Mossiback. I have big day tomorrow and how am I supposed to sleep now? :oops:

...For anyone concerned about DJI etc "spying" on them, what is it that you think DJI would want from your drone or phone? Does it hold the key to global domination?

Most likely, the data on my phone or drone does not hold "the key to global domination." At least not since I erased my last SD card! But, do you really think that is the moral or legal standard by which all third party data collection should be judged?

Last edited:
This topic creeps up every so often. Governments are concerned other governments are spying on them. They make a big deal about it. For everyone else, we are already spied on by Google, Facebook, banks...

Sure, Google, Facebook and the banks wield great power but they are also public corporations monitored by state and federal regulators and subject to US law and court jurisdiction.

Wonder when the the Army surplus DJI drones going to hit the market? Should be some good prices if they ever do, but more likely they will be incinerated due to any data they still contain onboard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Photogeezer