DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Have you seen similar problems on your MM video? (only respond if you have a mavic mini)

• Total voters
Hello to all. This ripple effect is on my MM too.
This is probably hardware issue, because software
and firmware are the same on all drones.

So i decided to replace this foulty product or money back.

Nice day

Just had my first flight and am having the same distortion on lower edge of video......seems many are getting the problem. Not sure if I should send the drone back or not, but I think I will hang on and wait a while to see if there is a fix!

Last edited:
Hello,
I just bought a mavic mini and there seems to be a problem with the video in 2.7k mode. There is a few pixels that are "stretched" on the bottom border and it is distracting on an otherwise good image. Thank youView attachment 85601

Edit for more visability of this comment:
If anybody reads this and if they voted that their footage is normal, can you please check the file data and see what resolution the 2.7k video is. The normal resolution should be 2704 x 1520 and this is standard 2.7k resolution found in other cameras. The data that other members who did have a problem indicates the video is being shot at 2720 x 1536. Both of theses resolutions are wonky and this may be where the problems lie.
Had first flight and I am having the same effect......video is showing 2720x1536......so what can be done to sort it!!!!

Had first flight and I am having the same effect......video is showing 2720x1536......so what can be done to sort it!!!!
Return it and pony up the extra dosh for another DJI model or work around it. DJI has said it supposed to be like that.

Why are people posting new posts on this saying "should i return" and "what's wrong?!" when the info and even explanation from DJI is a few pages prior to this!? Go read.

DJI's response was poor but it does mean its fixable as far as i can tell.

Hello to all. This ripple effect is on my MM too.
This is probably hardware issue, because software
and firmware are the same on all drones.

So i decided to replace this foulty product or money back.

Nice day
Or read the thread you've posted to and see the reasoning...?

Why are people posting new posts on this saying "should i return" and "what's wrong?!" when the info and even explanation from DJI is a few pages prior to this!? Go read.

DJI's response was poor but it does mean its fixable as far as i can tell.
I became a member of the forum yesterday and missed this thread and that's why I posted.....so there is nothing wrong! Chill out, it's only a forum! It's great that others pointed me to this thread which I have read right through now. It's not surprising that many were thinking about sending the drone back and many have done. DJI's response wasn't exactly precise anyway. I won't be sending mine back over such a small issue. If an update sorts it so well and good.

Reactions: burma419
Problem being that their response seemed to suggest they think its correct behaviour which is bizarre

Return it and pony up the extra dosh for another DJI model or work around it. DJI has said it supposed to be like that.
I don't really believe that it's supposed to be like it, but it's easy to work around anyway. Will be keeping the Mavic mini. I have a Mavic pro also, but this little guy is so easy to carry and simple to use....

It’s a poor unthought through response, many of us don’t have high end PC’s for editing, given this is an entry drone which may get people into other high end drones I would hope DJI fix this issue moving forward to give the best experience possible.

Reactions: F22arecool
The videos are likely encoded in blocks of 16x16 or 32x32 pixels. 1536px is 96 blocks of 16px. The camera produces an image 1530px high so the onboard encoder probably adds another 6 lines (by duplicating the last line 6 times) to be able to do its encoding proplery. The resulting video file then will have an instruction embedded into the header for the playback decoder to crop the image back down to 1530px high. I expect many decoders can't cope with the instruction to crop. I have tried a few different video players and some do crop, while others don't.

The videos are likely encoded in blocks of 16x16 or 32x32 pixels. 1536px is 96 blocks of 16px. The camera produces an image 1530px high so the onboard encoder probably adds another 6 lines (by duplicating the last line 6 times) to be able to do its encoding proplery. The resulting video file then will have an instruction embedded into the header for the playback decoder to crop the image back down to 1530px high. I expect many decoders can't cope with the instruction to crop. I have tried a few different video players and some do crop, while others don't.
That makes sense.......it's surprising how just that tiny blurry area is so off putting. The first video I put up I just cropped it out, but that's really not the answer...it's just a work around....anyway I still love this little thing! lol

Certainly sounds viable. You'd think they could do the crop at the Mavic end though. This seems like something that should be on them to fix

I don't really believe that it's supposed to be like it, but it's easy to work around anyway. Will be keeping the Mavic mini. I have a Mavic pro also, but this little guy is so easy to carry and simple to use....
Of course it doesn't need to be like it is- my point is that DJI doesn't seem to be in a hurry to do anything other than provide weak explanations.

So guys the new update just released, can anyone look and see if their footage still contains the garbage at the bottom? Hopefully this update will fix it ?

So guys the new update just released, can anyone look and see if their footage still contains the garbage at the bottom? Hopefully this update will fix it ?
No mention of video, maybe the gimbal control will fix the jello some people are seeing?

Attachments

• 0CA312EC-EC35-47FD-A5E4-3A69E8B3FD56.jpeg
    0CA312EC-EC35-47FD-A5E4-3A69E8B3FD56.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
IOS or Android as I’m seeing nothing in Apple store
He is talking about the aircraft firmware update. (v01.00.0300)

Exactly.
___

You can take a look at it by using Mediainfo. Besides the height definition of 1530 pixels, DJI probably forgot to remove the Tag "Sample Height" of 1536 pixel, which causes some Decoders/Players to struggle (Windows only).

So it's should be a simple FW-Update, and perhaps they provide a small converter for existing files too.
If not or until then, you can crop these 6 Pixels by yourself, using FFmpeg

Code:
ffmpeg -y -i ORIGINAL-CLIP.MP4 -map 0:0 -vcodec copy -an -sn  -bsf:v h264_metadata=crop_bottom=6 CROPPED-CLIP.MP4

This gets you a copy of the clip, without recompression.

Exactly.
___

You can take a look at it by using Mediainfo. Besides the height definition of 1530 pixels, DJI probably forgot to remove the Tag "Sample Height" of 1536 pixel, which causes some Decoders/Players to struggle (Windows only).

So it's should be a simple FW-Update, and perhaps they provide a small converter for existing files too.
If not or until then, you can crop these 6 Pixels by yourself, using FFmpeg

Code:
ffmpeg -y -i ORIGINAL-CLIP.MP4 -map 0:0 -vcodec copy -an -sn  -bsf:v h264_metadata=crop_bottom=6 CROPPED-CLIP.MP4

This gets you a copy of the clip, without recompression.
Thank you very much for providing this for us!!

Reactions: Skyscope
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan