DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aviva insurance (UK)

TescoBag

Reactions
Hey guys,

I have my contents with Aviva who have advised they cover drones in their policy (I confirmed this via e-mail) however has anyone tried to make a claim with them?

I'm wondering if they're as forthcoming as they say when a claim is actually made.

Wotcha mate.

My bigger concern would be how much your premiums will go up by for the following five years, if ever you had to make a claim.

My guess, the premium increase over 5yrs would be more than the cost of a Mavic?

Don't forget you'll need to pay the excess on any home insurance claim too (£250?)

I'm not sold on this idea but happy to be convinced otherwise ;)

Ps. Was it Aviva that don't cover flyaways?

Yes they are great, up untill the point you have to make a claim.
Full of yes this and that is covered when you sign up, then when you need to claim they wheel out a whole list of reasons you are not covered, you then spend the next year fighting them to get anywhere, untill you finally get to point the insurance ombudsmen steps in and makes them pay out.

After all the stress and time taken sorting it, you then realise it would have been far cheaper and a lot less stressful to have self insured.

That was my experience of dealing with Aviva on behalf of someone who was so stressed dealing with then she couldn't bring herself to talk to them anymore.

And that was a simple household claim, hate to think how they would deal with a claim for something as exotic as a drone, you would probably spend the first few months - if you had to claim - explaining what a drone was to them for the 37th time

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Yes they are great, up untill the point you have to make a claim.
Full of yes this and that is covered when you sign up, then when you need to claim they wheel out a whole list of reasons you are not covered, you then spend the next year fighting them to get anywhere, untill you finally get to point the insurance ombudsmen steps in and makes them pay out.

After all the stress and time taken sorting it, you then realise it would have been far cheaper and a lot less stressful to have self insured.

That was my experience of dealing with Aviva on behalf of someone who was so stressed dealing with then she couldn't bring herself to talk to them anymore.

And that was a simple household claim, hate to think how they would deal with a claim for something as exotic as a drone, you would probably spend the first few months - if you had to claim - explaining what a drone was to them for the 37th time

Thanks for the info, is there anyone you would recommend for drone insurance?

I don't know of a single firm in the UK that covers flyaways mate :(

I don't know of a single firm in the UK that covers flyaways mate :(

Hi, i looked for ages even before my Mavic arrived and asked many but no one seems to do it in the UK, so i got the insurance from DJI, but was still concerned that it only covered you, if you could recover the Mavic - i was worried as id spent many months reading the forum and all the "my Mavic just upped and flew away" stories, whilst waiting for months for my Mavic to arrive lol - , then i came across 'back me up' from a post a member put on here, they do or did insure drones and i got signed up with literally minutes to spare.
Sadly i dont think they do the cover for new customers now, but might be worth giving then a call, they may even know a company that do.
Sorry i couldn't be more help.

Just to add though i have all this cover but so far after nearly a year i haven't crashed or had a fly away or even come close, so its not the big issue i furst thought after reading some of the post on here whilst waiting for my mavic, but then i guess more people post "my mavic just upped flew away" or " my mavic crashed and it wasnt my fault" than those that post "my mavic never crashes of fly's away" lol

Aviva do indeed cover flyaways/loss, damage, theft and even more importantly liability insurance for legal cover should it fall on someone or damage property ‘internationally’ (Page 23 of their homepage policy book) . It is expensive though £532, however this includes a years worth of buildings and content insurance. They refer to drones as ‘pedestrian-controlled toys’. I spent a good deal of time with them regarding this specific topic prior to taking out insurance with them.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
robqwe