DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Best Buy Protection vs DJI Care

Yes. I even confirmed with the store manager today. He said it can be in a million pieces, just bring it in and they will replace it.

Another question - is it a world wide coverage? If I purchased the plan in United States, crash the drone in Europe, does it covered?

So I just wanted to give an update, I got my Mavic 3 today and contacted my State Farm agent to see if I could add it as a Personal Article policy. She tried and even contacted adjusters at the company and apparently once you file a claim they will no longer insure any type of drone as you are now considered a "Liability" she was telling me that drones themselves are already considered "risks" due to the nature of the products and now the prices they are having to be insured over. So just keep that in mind if anyone has to file a claim. So I went ahead and just went ahead and did the Bestbuy Total Tech warranty, It covers everything (Except Fly Away) and will replace the drone or issue a gift card to cover the price I paid not to mention I have no restocking fees if I decided to return the drone if DJI decides to delay the firmware update or remove any features.
That is interesting to know about the State Farm drone policy. I had it for my Mavic 2 insured with them for 2 years. I never filed a claim. I just contacted them and I am waiting to get my drone so I can take it in for them to look at it and insure it again for another 2 years. It is $75 a year. Now I know if I ever file a claim, then they will not insure me after that.

What is the yearly cost of the Best Buy Total Tech Warranty? Can I become a member if I did not buy my drone from Best Buy?

No kidding thats not what an agent told me or I would already have I,ll check into that thanks sir
SkyWalkerFeng is right. My M2P was almost a year old when I decided to take out the State Farm policy. I seem to remember signing something that said it was it good condition, and gave them serial numbers. I've never had a claim though.

The Total Tech plan from BB is $199.99/ year. In the ad I am looking at right now, it says it provides UP TO 2 years of coverage. I haven't dived into the details, but it is conceivable that they could only cover the drone for a year. Yes, much cheaper replacement in that year, but still, it is term limited coverage. Just be aware of that.

I read about the personal articles insurance and looks like it is tied to your home insurance as well and any claim shows up on your home insurance claims and could affect your home insurance prices for about 5 years

I don't have homeowners with them, so that doesn't bother me.

The Total Tech plan from BB is $199.99/ year. In the ad I am looking at right now, it says it provides UP TO 2 years of coverage. I haven't dived into the details, but it is conceivable that they could only cover the drone for a year. Yes, much cheaper replacement in that year, but still, it is term limited coverage. Just be aware of that.
It covers it for 2 years as long as you are a total tech member so hypothetically it will be $400 for the membership for 2 years. After 2 years you then gain the option to continue the warranty on a month to month basis for $9.99 a month for up to 5 years. Total tech may not be worth it if you just plan on using it for the drone,however for someone like me that buys a ton of electronics it’s well worth it since everything you buy from Bestbuy will automatically come with protection plans, If you buy any apple product it will automatically apply apple care to that product, plus 60 day return policy and no restocking fees on anything. For the protection plan to work it has to be purchased from Bestbuy and they also cover all spare batteries etc.

Reactions: Coskier
Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks waternut13134.. That is my position on the best buy total tech.. I already have it for frig, diskwasher, etc.. so littertly no added cost.. I may still do statefarms for the 1st year while DJI still works out any bugs to make sure flyaway or something else weird happens I'm still covered.. I'm sure by year2 (if I didn't sell it already) software will be well seasoned and more dependable.

I plan on doing some more risky (but within capability) things after the Jan release., Active track during Snowboarding and JetSkiing.

Does anyone know the state farms deductable?

Thanks waternut13134.. That is my position on the best buy total tech.. I already have it for frig, diskwasher, etc.. so littertly no added cost.. I may still do statefarms for the 1st year while DJI still works out any bugs to make sure flyaway or something else weird happens I'm still covered.. I'm sure by year2 (if I didn't sell it already) software will be well seasoned and more dependable.

I plan on doing some more risky (but within capability) things after the Jan release., Active track during Snowboarding and JetSkiing.

The policy’s I had written up I had no deductible.

$0!

I had State Farm for 2 years with my Mavic 2 Pro.

I just received my Mavic 3 FMC. I have not even opened it yet. I will get State Farm when I start using it.

It has ZERO deductible. But I have heard that once you file a claim, they terminate you.

I don't have homeowners with them, so that doesn't bother me.
It could be a central database. So claim with state farm will be seen by your homeowners company at time of renewal. Similar if you had a homeowners claim with one company - every time you switch insurance - they all will know about the claim.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
That is interesting to know about the State Farm drone policy. I had it for my Mavic 2 insured with them for 2 years. I never filed a claim. I just contacted them and I am waiting to get my drone so I can take it in for them to look at it and insure it again for another 2 years. It is $75 a year. Now I know if I ever file a claim, then they will not insure me after that.

What is the yearly cost of the Best Buy Total Tech Warranty? Can I become a member if I did not buy my drone from Best Buy?
No. Best Buy will help you the tech assistance but you CAN NOT claim anything you DID NOT buy at Best Buy. (sorry for caps, just emphasizing). There explanation of what they cover makes it seem like they will. But I did purchase my Mavic 3 at Best Buy and I did purchase the tech plan for the up to 2 years of replacement insurance with a deductible. And you get coverage of any item you purchased at Best Buy. It does cover the tech and computer help on anything you purchase. But most items have a deductible for any service you need. Also another benefit of the Tech plan is you get some sort of discount on most items. Some of the items I’ve purchased have saved me some good amounts that add up if you buy a lot from Best Buy. Anyway. I’ll add what I’ve have discovered at my insurance company at GEICO at the bottom of this forum as it’s what I found out about GEICO drone coverage.

I have the Best Buy Tech coverage as I purchased my drone from Best Buy to get this coverage. BUT I just got off the phone with my home owners coverage I have through GEICO but they actually use travelers insurance. I am now paying $30 a year for full drone coverage repair or replacement including LOST coverage with a $100 deductible. I can claim it as many times as well. It’s a separate addition to my home owners coverage. Now will it effect my home coverage cost if I use it. I’m not sure? But for $30 a year is much better to me than $200 a year for Best Buy even with the discounts I get from being a member. Call you home owners polo and ask what it would cost. The only bad is I don’t know how much longer it will take to get a check for the replacement. But if you know the check is coming then buy a new one and you should get your check if they say it’s in the mail.

I have the Best Buy Tech coverage as I purchased my drone from Best Buy to get this coverage. BUT I just got off the phone with my home owners coverage I have through GEICO but they actually use travelers insurance. I am now paying $30 a year for full drone coverage repair or replacement including LOST coverage with a $100 deductible. I can claim it as many times as well. It’s a separate addition to my home owners coverage. Now will it effect my home coverage cost if I use it. I’m not sure? But for $30 a year is much better to me than $200 a year for Best Buy even with the discounts I get from being a member. Call you home owners polo and ask what it would cost. The only bad is I don’t know how much longer it will take to get a check for the replacement. But if you know the check is coming then buy a new one and you should get your check if they say it’s in the mail.
I would caution with the GEICO plan. A fellow pilot I fly with at the RC park used his policy with GEICO when he crashed his Mavic 2 Pro. They made him jump through so many hoops (they wanted flight logs, video footage, and some sort of proof of the incident of the crash). After about a month of him going back and forth they finally approved him but about 2 weeks after he got his money they dropped ALL of his policies (home,auto and an RV) and his claim did show up on his record so it was hard for him to find another insurance at a responsible price. So use it with extreme caution.

Reactions: Kirill
I would caution with the GEICO plan. A fellow pilot I fly with at the RC park used his policy with GEICO when he crashed his Mavic 2 Pro. They made him jump through so many hoops (they wanted flight logs, video footage, and some sort of proof of the incident of the crash). After about a month of him going back and forth they finally approved him but about 2 weeks after he got his money they dropped ALL of his policies (home,auto and an RV) and his claim did show up on his record so it was hard for him to find another insurance at a responsible price. So use it with extreme caution.
"We'll sell you insurance, but if you ever even file a claim, we'll cancel all your policies, too." Best to separate all your other insurance policies from your drone insurance by buying Refresh from DJI, who won't cancel you other policies when you use it! DJI's Express Replacement under Refresh is a no fault policy that gets you back in the air within a week! The so called "Fly Away" addendum even covers an unrecovered drone!

If you don't have State Farm for homeowners - how can they attach it. Would be a separate and lone policy for me and others who have homeowners elsewhere. My homeowners with extra protection rider with USAA will not cover a drone. Covers my DSLR's, jewelry, etc and is kind of pricey for the coverage.
I, too ,have USAA for home and auto. I was also able to buy State Farm insurance for my Mavic 2 Pro as a stand-alone policy for 75 USD/year. Well worth it. I had to provide proof-of-purchase, and also submitted a dated photo showing I still had the drone. Not all SF agents are willing to sell the drone ins. for non-customers. My flying buddy insures his home and auto thru SF, so maybe he influenced his agent to accept my business.

I, too ,have USAA for home and auto. I was also able to buy State Farm insurance for my Mavic 2 Pro as a stand-alone policy for 75 USD/year. Well worth it. I had to provide proof-of-purchase, and also submitted a dated photo showing I still had the drone. Not all SF agents are willing to sell the drone ins. for non-customers. My flying buddy insures his home and auto thru SF, so maybe he influenced his agent to accept my business.
All State Farm agents, except those in CA, are able to offer the standalone PAI policy to cover drones, but some either don't know it, or don't find it worthwhile to bother with the paperwork, given the paltry commission on a $75 policy!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pocki