DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Beware of Temp NFZ Activating while your in the Air. Drone downed by DJI

People need to be checking actual sources for NOTAMs not blindly relying on DJI telling them.
In most of the planet if you only follow the DJI based restrictions you'll be flying illegally many many times.

People need to be checking actual sources for NOTAMs not blindly relying on DJI telling them.
In most of the planet if you only follow the DJI based restrictions you'll be flying illegally many many times.
Agree entirely, but even the FAA page listing them has a “possibly incomplete” notice on the page... if they can’t keep up with their own data how can we?
I never access the DJI database on this as they display different data than all other providers and they are not approved by FAA as a source for NFZ info.

Or better year warning on takeoff?
I don't think it should rely on warning, as it might not appear if Litchi or other apps is used. Or if DJI Go 4 happen to crash at just the wrong time.
I thought TFR is activated a couple of hours before a game start. As the area and time when auto landing is triggered by DJI's own system, warning should be based on DJI's own app, not NOTAMs, as it might not match. .e.g NOTAM says it's still safe to fly or it's out of TFR zone, but then the drone starts auto-landing.

I thought TFR is activated a couple of hours before a game start. As the area and time when auto landing is triggered by DJI's own system, warning should be based on DJI's own app, not NOTAMs, as it might not match. .e.g NOTAM says it's still safe to fly or it's out of TFR zone, but then the drone starts auto-landing.

It should be entirely on NOTAMs as those are the sole legal notifications. All temporary restrictions are forecast ahead of time with start and end times clearly listed. Weeks or months ahead of the actual activation.

Agree entirely, but even the FAA page listing them has a “possibly incomplete” notice on the page... if they can’t keep up with their own data how can we?
I never access the DJI database on this as they display different data than all other providers and they are not approved by FAA as a source for NFZ info.

And on that page they explain the correct method to check NOTAMs, via calling the local flight services station.

Or better year warning on takeoff?
You were the guy who "edited" the email you claim you received from Frank Wang. Then you sent your "edited" email and claimed it was authentic to "Bill the Drone Reviewer". He had to pull his vlog post after he found out you were pulling a fast one on him.

LOL^^^^^

This OP wouldnt be a thing if the aircraft wasnt a mile away when the NFZ popped up.

I have both my RCs flashed to 0400 and can use dual RCs. Next thing I'm trying is flashing my Pro and Zoom cameras to 0400 and installing back to the AC on 0100 to see if the later camera features are there.

Reactions: kem
Let me know the result please!
I have both my RCs flashed to 0400 and can use dual RCs. Next thing I'm trying is flashing my Pro and Zoom cameras to 0400 and installing back to the AC on 0100 to see if the later camera features are there.

It seems like the BEST choice would be NOT FLYING in NFZ's, not modding and hacking so you can... What is the obsession with doing that anyway?

Reactions: BigAl07
Did you even reat the topic? I usually fly in Switzerland. Local auth released a map with NFZs marked. DJI NFZ is not even close... =useless [Language Removed by Admin]
It seems like the BEST choice would be NOT FLYING in NFZ's, not modding and hacking so you can... What is the obsession with doing that anyway?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: lolo780
There are certainly some like that, but others of us bridle at overly conservative zones and rules that don't contribute to safety, like the OP's case where RTH would have been perfectly safe. If his Mavic have been jailbroken he would have finished his flight and no one would even have know it had been there. Zero impact.

And today I flew at a local park and the Go4 app pops up a warning about an "airport" there. No, there is no airport. Looks like one of the fields is designated as an ad hoc helicopter landing zone for medevacs, etc. for the local high school or nearby major highway. If it were active it would be obvious from the first responders. I've lived across the street for 25 years and remember it being used like once. At least the app didn't keep me from flying.

Then even AirMap shows a 4 mile diameter "airport" (non tower) zone that technically impinges on another several hundred acre park where I fly. Could have fooled me. I have lived here 25 years and didn't even know it was there and i have NEVER seen any low level aircraft operations from what is a grass strip at someone's farm. I'm supposed to call them before flying my Mavic 4 miles distant? Sorry.

There are certainly some like that, but others of us bridle at overly conservative zones and rules that don't contribute to safety, like the OP's case where RTH would have been perfectly safe. If his Mavic have been jailbroken he would have finished his flight and no one would even have know it had been there. Zero impact.

And today I flew at a local park and the Go4 app pops up a warning about an "airport" there. No, there is no airport. Looks like one of the fields is designated as an ad hoc helicopter landing zone for medevacs, etc. for the local high school or nearby major highway. If it were active it would be obvious from the first responders. I've lived across the street for 25 years and remember it being used like once. At least the app didn't keep me from flying.

Then even AirMap shows a 4 mile diameter "airport" (non tower) zone that technically impinges on another several hundred acre park where I fly. Could have fooled me. I have lived here 25 years and didn't even know it was there and i have NEVER seen any low level aircraft operations from what is a grass strip at someone's farm. I'm supposed to call them before flying my Mavic 4 miles distant? Sorry.

That's exactly the attitude that is making more and more regulations. Flying your sUAS is not a RIGHT... it's a privilege that comes with responsibility. If you're going to be a Big Boy and fly your sUAS in the NAS then you need to act like it and follow the rules even if you don't think they "should" apply to you.

Sorry doesn't even start to cover it. If things don't improve I wouldn't be surprised if hobby/recreational sUAS is regulated out of existence except in some remote flying field in the middle of no where.

Luckily you are not the arbiter of airspace safety regulation and so you don't get to decide which regulations are important enough to be followed. Well not without risking prosecution, anyway.

Hmm. First time I heard of this. Do you have the flight log? If it’s definitely cause by the temp NFZ, I would be asking DJI for a replacement.

Not my first time hearing of it. In fact the NFZ force land is got to be the stupidest update that could be made. I’m just waiting for the news to report deaths from drones landing in traffic or somewhere else that’ll kill someone.

Then it’ll be a lawsuit against DJI for stupidity.

Reactions: altaic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aodgizmo