DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bit of advice please - Phone disconnected mid flight

Asus27

Reactions
Hi all

Had my first squeaky bum time with my Mavic Pro whilst flying in Madeira yesterday. Took off with all the usual checks being fine but after 3 mins or so, the phone decided to disconnect and I was only able to control the drone in certain directions.

Luckly enough I had a home point checked and first time I've had to use the button on the controller, I managed to get full control again when the drone with 10m or so away.

I've had a look at the data log and nothing is jumping out at me. If someone could have a look at the log and advice that would be great. I thought it might of give a reason for the loss of feed but not sure.

Things I can tell you about the flight.

Newish USB C to USB was used
Phone was using WIFI at the times which I hope there was a drop in signal causing the issues, but why couldn't I fully control the drone once video was lost ?
Drone was within 100m from a docking station for boats/cruises, maybe something knocked my feed out ?
Phone was charged along with GPS signal etc on drone.

Any advice would be great. Thanks

after 3 mins or so, the phone decided to disconnect and I was only able to control the drone in certain directions.
Losing connection to your phone makes no difference to your ability to control the drone.
The phone is simply a display device and the control and signal connection is not affected if the phone connection is lost.

Try it sometime in a safe environment.
Fly out a short distance, pull the cable out of the phone socket and see how it makes no difference.
Reconnect the cable and see what that does.

Losing connection to your phone makes no difference to your ability to control the drone.
The phone is simply a display device and the control and signal connection is not affected if the phone connection is lost.

Try it sometime in a safe environment.
Fly out a short distance, pull the cable out of the phone socket and see how it makes no difference.
Reconnect the cable and see what that does.
Yeah will do pal. Tried that when I was away, unplugged and reset phone which didn't help any.

I`ll try again when I can.

Do you know what restriction/warning zones exist there?
I see two/three different sizes, the middle one .... this one. Código Drone - Google My Maps
swallows your entire flight, I think, and might date from 2018, I don't see a colour code.

DJI's fly safe DJI FlySafe
shows a smaller warning zone and the flight was outside that.
On the other hand the fly safe map for the Air 3 map shows something covering the whole island ?????

Last edited:
Reactions: rjwmorrell
Hi all

Had my first squeaky bum time with my Mavic Pro whilst flying in Madeira yesterday. Took off with all the usual checks being fine but after 3 mins or so, the phone decided to disconnect and I was only able to control the drone in certain directions.

Luckly enough I had a home point checked and first time I've had to use the button on the controller, I managed to get full control again when the drone with 10m or so away.

I've had a look at the data log and nothing is jumping out at me. If someone could have a look at the log and advice that would be great. I thought it might of give a reason for the loss of feed but not sure.

Things I can tell you about the flight.

Newish USB C to USB was used
Phone was using WIFI at the times which I hope there was a drop in signal causing the issues, but why couldn't I fully control the drone once video was lost ?
Drone was within 100m from a docking station for boats/cruises, maybe something knocked my feed out ?
Phone was charged along with GPS signal etc on drone.

Any advice would be great. Thanks
Your phone is not communicating with the drone. Your phone is communicating with the remote controller. The remote controller communicates with the drone.

If your phone disconnected from the remote controller, then the remote controller can still operate the drone, you just won't see any information or visual data on your phone screen. If the remote controller loses radio connection with the drone, then the phone shows you only what the remote controller is able to tell it, which is no longer up to date because of the connection loss.

If you were able to fly the drone, it sounds like the remote controller could still communicate with the drone.

Do you know what restriction/warning zones exist there?
I see two/three different sizes, the middle one .... this one. Código Drone - Google My Maps
swallows your entire flight, I think, and might date from 2018, I don't see a colour code.

DJI's fly safe DJI FlySafe
shows a smaller warning zone and the flight was outside that.
On the other hand the fly safe map for the Air 3 map shows something covering the whole island ?????
Well there was a yellow warning but I was on blue and lost comms at red.

I don't have air 3 maps but I'll have a look if its an android download.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230929_182259_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230929_182259_Chrome.jpg
    410.3 KB · Views: 17
Yeah that's what I see in Fly safe but I am wondering if that's out of date or if there may have been some temporary zone in place.
You say "and I was only able to control the drone in certain directions."
What directions were those and at what point in the flight did you have this partial control?

Could you see the drone on its way back? If so was it responding to commands you gave. If so was that full control of partial control?
How long did it take to come back?

Is there another log after the one in post #4?
A simple phone disconnection from the controller would explain the sudden end of the log i.e. the drone in mid air and the absence of a second log, but it wouldn't explain partial control of the drone, you should have had full control.

A full controller to drone disconnection would also explain the sudden 'end' of the log but, when the drone and controller reconnected, the phone would either continue the old log or start a new log. ( I have seen both with my drones. )
You would also have had no control whatsoever until the drone and controller were reconnected.

Neither type of disconnection quite fits what happened.

Last edited:
What sort of ships dock at the pier near "living sea" if any? The one in Phantomhelp's view looks Naval.

Thanks all for your help, means a lot

Ships was cruise liners and few grey looking boats.

In relation to the control. Seemed like I could go up and down but couldn't rotate so the drone was facing me. One I figured I was out of control I pressed the RTH button which I've never used before but was a relief when it worked.

Attached a photo earlier that week showing what was docked, along with a night photo on the night.

Sorry if I'm breaking forum rules.

Attachments

• DJI_0030.jpg
    DJI_0030.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 22
  • DJI_0034.jpg
    DJI_0034.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 22
Reactions: PHZ
Sorry mate what do you mean link?

Clicked on the flight log viewer you have put and I can see my log?
Sorry man, I couldn't tell from the thread if meta4 or yorkshire_pud actually viewed it for the answers they told you. 👌

Thanks for the reply and all good for me. Thumbswayup

Rod ..

Reactions: Asus27
Hi all
after 3 mins or so, the phone decided to disconnect and I was only able to control the drone in certain directions.

but why couldn't I fully control the drone once video was lost ?

In relation to the control. Seemed like I could go up and down but couldn't rotate so the drone was facing me.
This account is confused/confusing.
It's hard to tell what signal you lost or what you still had.
If you lose the phone or app, you still have full control, not partial control.

What do you mean that the "phone decided to disconnect"?
Did the app keep running?
Did the screen freeze or go black?

The flight data is of no use because the app cannot show what happened after it stopped recording.
It just shows the drone flying 340 metres out, and after 3:56 the data just stops.

The ships in the area had nothing to do with the issue.
Neither did any no-fly zones.

Reactions: RodPad
The drone couldn't rotate after the screen went off/disconnected. Could only control once I used the RTH and the drone came 10m from the start point

The drone couldn't rotate after the screen went off/disconnected. Could only control once I used the RTH and the drone came 10m from the start point

Sorry .. I can't tell what happened in this incident.
There is no data to work with and the description isn't isn't good enough to make anything clear.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas