DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bluewater Bridge, Port Huron, MI flight planning and legality advice

Keeks2915

Reactions
I’m doing a YouTube video (potentially) profiling Warwick Goalie Masks in downtown Port Huron, Michigan and the historic McMorran Arena. I want to get some great B roll of the river and the humongous freighters would be perfect for aerial shots etc.

I pulled up the area on airmaps.com and have noted the zones to avoid clearly as per the diagrams. And I’m aware to not go anywhere near the dividing line between our countries. As well, staying well away from the bridge itself seems logical.

I have sent a note to my friend who is A CBP member for his insight as well.

I would be flying a Mavic Mini in a purely recreational flight as I don‘t monetize YouTube.

So, I’m hoping to defer to the experts on what to do and not to do here and if it advisable to steer clear entirely of this area even though it may appear permitted on air maps.

Thanks in advance for any advice. The last thing I want to do is have the powerful border enforcement personnel giving me their full attention.

Attachments

• 0E4CEC2E-757B-4829-B5B9-B4A072369AB3.png
    0E4CEC2E-757B-4829-B5B9-B4A072369AB3.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 24
  • 79184E86-82CA-45B3-B320-238CC11EF7AB.png
    79184E86-82CA-45B3-B320-238CC11EF7AB.png
    3.5 MB · Views: 25
This is my layman's research. Below are the sectionals for those with interest. Looks like class E from the surface inside the circles shown on your map and then the whole area sits under class E starting at 700 AGL. So outside the circles you should be fine just don't fly the allotted 400' radius and above on any tower over 300' AGL :)

Apparently there was some strict laws from canada (link to article) around Sarnia but dont see anything reported after 2017. Didn't dig any farther.

Here is a summary of Michigan UAV laws. Didn't immediately find any local US laws around Sarnia

1583884254048.png
1583884706955.png

Last edited:
This is my layman's research. Below are the sectionals for those with interest. Looks like class E from the surface inside the circles shown on your map and then the whole area sits under class E starting at 700 AGL. So outside the circles you should be fine just don't fly the allotted 400' radius and above on any tower over 300' AGL :)

Apparently there was some strict laws from canada (link to article) around Sarnia but dont see anything reported after 2017. Didn't dig any farther.

Here is a summary of Michigan UAV laws. Didn't immediately find any local US laws around Sarnia

View attachment 96338
View attachment 96339
Thanks sir!

Since you are Canadian make sure you visit the FAADroneZone and register as visiting recreational pilot. It is only $5 US. Print out the certificate and carry it with you. If you have not modded you’re MavicMini you won’t have to put the registration on the drone itself. This is a bit of a gray area since you are flying the MavicMini, but the FAA DroneZone says that visitors to the US need to register. Better safe than sorry. I hope to do some video of the same area this summer, but I will be steering clear of Canadian airspace.

Since you are Canadian make sure you visit the FAADroneZone and register as visiting recreational pilot. It is only $5 US. Print out the certificate and carry it with you. If you have not modded you’re MavicMini you won’t have to put the registration on the drone itself. This is a bit of a gray area since you are flying the MavicMini, but the FAA DroneZone says that visitors to the US need to register. Better safe than sorry. I hope to do some video of the same area this summer, but I will be steering clear of Canadian airspace.
Great advice. Done! Thanks

Great advice. Done! Thanks
Hope you post some video clips. During the summer I am back in my hometown of Genesee. The wife and I like to go to Port Huron and St. Clair at least once while in Michigan. It is fun watching the boats, yachts, and freighters. The traffic on the bridge has deterred us from crossing over into Sarnia the last few times.

Hope you post some video clips. During the summer I am back in my hometown of Genesee. The wife and I like to go to Port Huron and St. Clair at least once while in Michigan. It is fun watching the boats, yachts, and freighters. The traffic on the bridge has deterred us from crossing over into Sarnia the last few times.
Will do

Just thinking of the stupidest question of the decade, if not the milenium, can you fly under the bridge? All other restrictions considered of course.

There is nothing in US rules to prevent it provided you are not flying over any watercraft. With that much iron I would be on the lookout for compass warnings. Flying over the bridge would be out for me. I will not fly over traffic.

Reactions: Mavic Air Head
Just a couple of land based photos from summer of 2018 from the US side.

Attachments

• Sailing to Blue Water.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 9
  • Ship and Blue Water Bridge.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 7
Reactions: Thomas B
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members