DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Bound to controller

stikflote

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I was going to buy Mini 3 but it had no controller so i didnt buy it after looking at
post on here ,.
What does being bound mean ?, does it mean that a drone must have its own controller,
looking at my controller for my Air2s seems it can act controller for other aircraft /

keith

There is much confusion because people use words based on "bind", "pair/link" interchangeably.
We need more accuracy in our vocabulary.
I take pair/link to refer to the connection between the drone and the controller that is used to control the drone i.e. to make it climb/descend, go sideways, go forwards/backwards, spin.

Bound, bind & binding, as used 'recently' by DJI, refers to a different type of connection that relates to the use of Flyaway insurance, it has nothing to do with controlling the drone.
Under this useage the drone is "bound" to the account that purchases the insurance, that translates to the account the fly app is logged into when the drone was "bound". The controller is similarly "bound" to the drone.
The binding means that the drone, call it drone A, can not be flown using another login*.
Similarly, the controller will only work for 5? flights if used with a different drone.
I think the same thing or similar applies if drone A is flown with a different controller.

*However there is also a useless form of binding where the drone can be bound to a DJI account WITHOUT having care refresh or Flyaway insurance.
With this binding it appears that the controller IS NOT and CAN NOT be, bound to the drone.
This binding prevents NOTHING.
I experimented with it and was able to fly the "bound" drone, without restriction, when using any suitable controller and with the fly app logged into any of the several DJI accounts available to me.

Last edited:
Thankyou for reply that helps me understand it better.
When i bought my drone ,i looked for the fly app on my play store and was told it
was£60,so i took drone back to shop , manager said no thats right let me have your phone,and he downloaded the fly app.
i have not put my name or number into the Fly App ,but it does ask me to log in,
so not not knowing what im doing i have not done so.

Re my old post about drone not going sideways its in mode two,could the fact that its a fence
and Hedge in my yard have any thing to do with ,it goes up and down by right stick

Re my old post about drone not going sideways its in mode two,could the fact that its a fence
and Hedge in my yard have any thing to do with ,it goes up and down by right stick
I doubt it, from what I see in the manual the Air 2s has minimal sideways looking sensors.
Did you see MS coast's post #2 "There's a setting in the Fly app that disables sideways flight. As I recall, it's on the safety tab of the main menu." about sideways flight in the other thread? Mavic Air 2s sideways
see also
from about 27 sec onwards.

The manual can be found https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Air_2S/2023UM/DJI_Air_2S_User_Manual_v1.2_EN.pdf

Meaning no offence but how daunted are you about computer stuff ?
The drone records flight logs that can be used to diagnose some problems, if you are ok with such stuff we might be able to find a cause if you can find and post the logs.

Last edited:
it has nothing to do with controlling the drone.
When you send a command to your drone by lets say pushing the throttle stick up the drone "sees" this command as a code- lets say 0000055. Because there are other controllers and signals out there - you must give these codes a prefix number so that the drone only recognizes code from your controller. This is basically what binding does. when you bind your controller you are telling the drone to only recognize signals from that controller and ignore the rest - example: If you bind your controller to your drone and your controller has a prefix number of lets say 123 your drone will only take commands from a signal with a prefix number of 123. Without binding your drone would except every single signal it received as a real command from you. You can use any {compatable} controller but you MUST Bind it first.

Last edited:
When you send a command to your drone by lets say pushing the throttle stick up the drone "sees" this command as a code- lets say 0000055. Because there are other controllers and signals out there - you must give these codes a prefix number so that the drone only recognizes code from your controller. This is basically what binding pairing/linking does. when you bind pair/link your controller you are telling the drone to only recognize signals from that controller and ignore the rest - example: If you bind pair/link your controller to your drone and your controller has a prefix number of lets say 123 your drone will only take commands from a signal with a prefix number of 123. Without binding pairing/linking your drone would except every single signal it received as a real command from you. You can use any {compatable} controller but you MUST pair/link it first.
I understand what you are saying but "bind*" is not the correct word in my opinion because, in my vocabularly, the connection for control purposes is called pair% / link%, "%" being = "ed" or "ing".
I am aware that some people use bind/binding/bound/binded? and I think I have seen that DJI used to refer to the process as "binding".
But, that I remember, I haven't seen DJI refer to the control linkage using the words "bind"/"bound" since the advent of the binding that is a part of flyaway insurance.

If you wish you use words based on "bind" for the control linkage how then do you verbally, or in wiriting, differentiate between the control linkage and the linkage associated with Flyaway insurance?
Since they are two separate things it would be unwise to refer to them by the same name and very confusing for newbies who are unfamiliar with the lingo.

All my drones are paired/linked to their controller but none of them are bound to care refresh or flyaway insurance.

Quotes from the manuals of drones I have and the manuals of two more recent drones that I do not have:-

"Linking the Remote Controller" P28 v1.8 manual P3Adv/Pro. "Bind" & "bound" not found.
"Linking the Remote Controller" P29 v1.2 manual Mavic Mini. "Bind" & "bound" not found.
"Linking the Remote Controller" P32 v1.4 manual Mini 2. "Bind" & "bound" not found.
"Linking the Remote Controller" P47 v1.4. manual M2P/Z. "Bind" found on page 67 in reference to the display on the controller during pairing.
"Linking the Remote Controller" P44 v1.6. manual Mini 3 Pro. "Bind" Page 9. "Binding the Aircraft and Remote Controller. After activation, the aircraft is bound to the remote controller automatically. If automatic binding fails,
follow the on-screen prompts on DJI Fly to bind the aircraft and remote controller for optimal warranty services."
"Linking the Remote Controller"
P79 v1.0 manual Air 3. "Bind" page 14. " Binding the Aircraft and Remote Controller. After activation, the aircraft is bound to the remote controller automatically. If automatic binding fails, follow the on-screen prompts on DJI Fly to bind the aircraft and remote controller for optimal warranty services."

Last edited:
Yes the term link should be used and would actually be less confusing I have always linked a model to a controller Not really sure why they decided to call that "binding" either

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
i will try and do that. but i do have problems getting photos from phone to pc
I doubt it, from what I see in the manual the Air 2s has minimal sideways looking sensors.
Did you see MS coast's post #2 "There's a setting in the Fly app that disables sideways flight. As I recall, it's on the safety tab of the main menu." about sideways flight in the other thread? Mavic Air 2s sideways
see also
from about 27 sec onwards.

The manual can be found https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_Air_2S/2023UM/DJI_Air_2S_User_Manual_v1.2_EN.pdf

Meaning no offence but how daunted are you about computer stuff ?
The drone records flight logs that can be used to diagnose some problems, if you are ok with such stuff we might be able to find a cause if you can find and post the logs.
no offence taken ,im still riding a 765 Triumph and a Harley 1200 tho will admit the Harley is too heavy for me now
hoping to sell it,

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
What phone Android or Apple, and what computer system, Windows, Apple or Linux?
Back when I could hear I heard a Harley with straight through pipes, it was wonderful, a thump every lamp post lol.

Last edited:
Tasty.
Connect the phone to the computer and using windows explorer look in the folder chain Computer\phone's_name\Phone\Android\data\dji.go.v5\files\FlightRecord.

Hello Yorkshire Pud did connect phone to pc ,but i cant get them to to link up

i have phone link to windows on phone and pc says it is connected , but its not

.the photo of my Harley was from a folder when pc and phone were linked

Hello Yorkshire Pud did connect phone to pc ,but i cant get them to to link up

i have phone link to windows on phone and pc says it is connected , but its not

.the photo of my Harley was from a folder when pc and phone were linked
I should have said, connect via USB cable, was the photo transferred via cable? Or perhaps bluetooth?

You might need to allow or authorised file transfers etc. on the phone.

That photo was via bluetooth while pc was new tho its only about 3years old

phone has link to windows downloaded on it but it no longer works

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13