DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Breaking News: End Of The DJI Phantom Line

So that newly developed DJI Terra whatchamajigger that is reported to only be compatible with DJI Phantom series drones is going to become defunct? Well now thats poor planning.

I believe that DJI will undoubtedly update the new Mapping app to be compatible with all of the top end drones and also whatever is coming up if it sits between the Mavic 2 duo and the Inspire. It's possible that going forward, the Inspire will be positioned as DJI's entry-level Enterprise platform if that is not already the case.

Reactions: Former Member
See this link for the video Bill is referring to in the video above.

It should be pointed out the he said, “ with the exception of the Phantom 4 RTK.” This reaffirms my theory from an earlier thread on this subject that the Phantom series isn’t going away, it’s just being retooled for a new role.

Previously, Phantom was the go to “Pro-sumer” level drone in DJI’s line up. It was easy enough to use that consumers could get almost professional quality results and the quality was good enough that professionals could use it in a crunch.

The Mavic has taken over that role obviously because of its size and portability. The Phantom is big heavy and frankly a ackward shape. Negatives for us consumers and “pro-sumers” out there. But this “negative” actually has its advantages. The Phantom is much more powerful than the Mavic, it has to be for its weight and so it resists the wind much better than Mavic. It can carry a larger load and It’s also faster. This makes it ideal for mapping and surveying.

Prior to the Phantom RTK, getting a drone with centimeter level accuracy required a Matrice which are 10s of thousands of dollars, not as easy to fly, takes 10s of minutes to set up, and really require more than one pilot to properly make use of.

I can see, and I’ll take the credit when it comes out for calling it, the next Phantom having a removable camera and a gimble unit that can be swapped out for a LiDAR or multispectral camera. It will become DJI’s ”utility” drone that is meant for tasks other than simply taking pictures or video.

It should be pointed out the he said, “ with the exception of the Phantom 4 RTK.” This reaffirms my theory from an earlier thread on this subject that the Phantom series isn’t going away, it’s just being retooled for a new role.

Previously, Phantom was the go to “Pro-sumer” level drone in DJI’s line up. It was easy enough to use that consumers could get almost professional quality results and the quality was good enough that professionals could use it in a crunch.

The Mavic has taken over that role obviously because of its size and portability. The Phantom is big heavy and frankly a ackward shape. Negatives for us consumers and “pro-sumers” out there. But this “negative” actually has its advantages. The Phantom is much more powerful than the Mavic, it has to be for its weight and so it resists the wind much better than Mavic. It can carry a larger load and It’s also faster. This makes it ideal for mapping and surveying.

Prior to the Phantom RTK, getting a drone with centimeter level accuracy required a Matrice which are 10s of thousands of dollars, not as easy to fly, takes 10s of minutes to set up, and really require more than one pilot to properly make use of.

I can see, and I’ll take the credit when it comes out for calling it, the next Phantom having a removable camera and a gimble unit that can be swapped out for a LiDAR or multispectral camera. It will become DJI’s ”utility” drone that is meant for tasks other than simply taking pictures or video.

I suspect that you are wrong and that while DJI will continue to manufacture the 4 RTK, there will not be any further development of the Phantom line. It's a clunky, outdated design and I'm surprised that it has lasted this long.

I read somewhere I ( believe Drone DJ) that due to the slowing of the consumer market that DJI was going to shift its focus to agriculture drone applications. I think it mentioned drones for spraying pesticides for farmers.

I read somewhere I ( believe Drone DJ) that due to the slowing of the consumer market that DJI was going to shift its focus to agriculture drone applications
I doubt they'd ever shift to agriculture only, but they do make do make drones like that in their MG series.

I read somewhere I ( believe Drone DJ) that due to the slowing of the consumer market that DJI was going to shift its focus to agriculture drone applications. I think it mentioned drones for spraying pesticides for farmers.

Who said the consumer market is slowing? I think it’s exploding. It use to be that I was the only person I saw or knew with a drone. When I would fly people would take notice and come over and ask me a bunch of questions. Now when I go out people don’t even pay attention because it’s so common and sometimes I’ll go to my favorite spots and there will already be another pilot or two already flying in what use to be my own personal secret spots.

Who said the consumer market is slowing? I think it’s exploding. It use to be that I was the only person I saw or knew with a drone. When I would fly people would take notice and come over and ask me a bunch of questions. Now when I go out people don’t even pay attention because it’s so common and sometimes I’ll go to my favorite spots and there will already be another pilot or two already flying in what use to be my own personal secret spots.

CAIiEPCHWtdTsr34G_xvjc2WtQcqFwgEKg8IACoHCAow-4fWBzD4z0gwwtp6

In China. Got it. ??

Actually they are referring to global sales:

"Chinese media reported last year that DJI believed growth of the global market for consumer drones would slow to below 10 per cent after 2020, while industrial drone sales would continue to double annually."​

Actually they are referring to global sales:

"Chinese media reported last year that DJI believed growth of the global market for consumer drones would slow to below 10 per cent after 2020, while industrial drone sales would continue to double annually."​

Slowing of growth is different from slowing. If I sell 100 consumer level drones and 10 commercial level drones one year and the next I sell 110 consumer level drones but 20 commercial level drones then the growth of my consumer level drones is only 10% while my commercial level drones has grown by double. This even though the growth of my consumer level drones and commercial level drones grew by the same number of units.

Slowing of growth is different from slowing. If I sell 100 consumer level drones and 10 commercial level drones one year and the next I sell 110 consumer level drones but 20 commercial level drones then the growth of my consumer level drones is only 10% while my commercial level drones has grown by double. This even though the growth of my consumer level drones and commercial level drones grew by the same number of units.

I posted the link because you mentioned that you felt that the consumer market was "exploding", which implies increasing growth rate, not because I was suggesting that sales were falling.

Nobody can tell the future, but so many predictions are leaning towards exponential growth in the consumer and prosumer drone market. From what I have seen and from what everyone seems to be buying, DJI drones will be selling well into the future, and the used DJI drone market is also doing very well. DJI drones seem to hold their values very well, which makes intro of new products much easier for DJI to justify higher new sales price tags.

Since DJI is not a public company, we have no idea of how their growth and individual sales history might be in truth. only what they claim. I hope the fraud that they discovered will not take a toll on the funding of internal R and D.

Has anyone noticed that the video (which I saw and watched a few times last night), is no longer available. I believe it was "Bill The Drone Reviewer" that had posted it, but not 100% sure (saying he had talked to a director at DJI who confirmed the phantom line was discontinued), and now I can't find it anywhere online, and no one else has posted any information on this. I would think if DJI was really ending the Phantom line of drones, there would be all kinds of discussions on it. So, it can only be one of a few things:

1) He was actually talking to someone from DJI and wasn't supposed to share this information (so he pulled the video)
2) He posted it just to get a lot of views and then decided its bad business to make sh*** up
3) He has a bunch of P4Pro v2 drones he wants to sell, so he made up the story to increase demand?
4) Or he posted it after a long night of drugs and alcohol, and had no idea what he was posting :)

Thoughts?

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
Has anyone noticed that the video (which I saw and watched a few times last night), is no longer available. I believe it was "Bill The Drone Reviewer" that had posted it, but not 100% sure (saying he had talked to a director at DJI who confirmed the phantom line was discontinued), and now I can't find it anywhere online, and no one else has posted any information on this. I would think if DJI was really ending the Phantom line of drones, there would be all kinds of discussions on it. So, it can only be one of a few things:

1) He was actually talking to someone from DJI and wasn't supposed to share this information (so he pulled the video)
2) He posted it just to get a lot of views and then decided its bad business to make sh*** up
3) He has a bunch of P4Pro v2 drones he wants to sell, so he made up the story to increase demand?
4) Or he posted it after a long night of drugs and alcohol, and had no idea what he was posting :)

Thoughts?

@msinger linked to the actual interview in post #5.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078