DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Buy directly from Dji or from reseller?

Reactions
I read in this article: 5 Things You Should Know Before You Buy a Drone in 2018 | MyFirstDrone

that buying directly from dji means you may get an updated version, say of the mavic 2 pro. And the reseller may have drones which don´t have these small changes/updates. I´ll quote it:

"If you’re buying a DJI drone, you might want to get it directly from DJI. Here’s why.
If you buy a DJI drone from Best Buy, Amazon or any other retailer, you aren’t guaranteed to get the newest version of that drone. DJI makes small changes to their drones every few weeks. Sometimes it’s hardware and other times it’s software. These changes usually improve safety and reliability, and if it’s a hardware change, the first place that gets the new hardware is the DJI Store. You can also get DJI Care at the checkout (DJI’s accidental damage protection program) which helps if you happen to crash your drone on the fist day (that learning period). DJI also has free shipping."

Is this true? If so what may these changes be and do they really do it "every few weeks"?

The name of the article is "5 Things You Should Know Before You Buy a Drone in 2018.

The article is not aimed directly at the Mavic, but all drones. It almost immediately deflects to Hobby King, who does not sell DJI products.

I disagree with 3 of the aritcles 5 points. Now, on to why it's not always best to buy from DJI.

Buying from anyone but DJI has many advantages. Better return policies, closer and easier to return, easy excahnge if you get a defective unit.

Any design changes are made with new models, not with new versions. The Mavic from 2016 is still the same Mavic Pro in 2019. Todays Mavic Pro has the same gimbal, core board, ESC, motors, etc. The only updates are in firmware, and thats easy enough to remedy.

The Mavic Pro Platinum did have some improvements, but again, it was a different model, not an update to the Mavic Pro.

Amazon will treat you well, as will many other online retailers.

Some offer third party extended warranties.

P.S. it always helps to have a buffer between yourself and DJI, whether it be Amazon, Paypal, B and H, or any of the Approved Vendors on here who sell OEM DJI products.

Last edited:
So you are sure they don´t make small hardware changes to their drones as time goes,and problems surface? The article specifically says "If you buy a DJI drone from Best Buy, Amazon or any other retailer, you aren’t guaranteed to get the newest version of that drone. DJI makes small changes to their drones every few weeks. Sometimes it’s hardware and other times it’s software." If this isn´t true, it´s obviously better to buy from resellers but it would be nice to know for sure.

DJI is the last place I would buy from, personally. Find a shop with a solid return policy and one that will help you should something go wrong that would otherwise require sending the drone back the DJI. For example where I bought my drone, if something goes wrong they will get me up and running and then they deal with DJI, which as a retailer they have much more pull than I would.

Imagine buying a drone from DJI, opening it up and finding it has a decentered lens element - now you have to pack it back up, wait many days if not weeks, and convince them you didn't drop it, compared to just swapping it at the store 10 minutes away. Plus supporting a local business is always good, so long as they are competitive - for example it's easy to get 5-10% off DJI drones/accessories at hobby/drone shops just for asking, and you would never see that through DJI direct.

One thing I liked about ordering directly from DJI is that they paid all import fees and taxes.

Living in Quebec, I am used to getting seriously hit by duties/taxe/fees whenever I buy something through the mail from another country.

But when I ordered directly from DJI's website, the price I paid was exactly what they listed on their website in USD. Nothing more. My order was shipped directly from China via DHL and arrived within 4 days.

Actually, if you buy DJI Select I think it's called, you get 50% off DJI Care Refresh and 4 or 5 coupons for 20% off accessories. Whether that makes up for distant shopping is your call.

So you are sure they don´t make small hardware changes to their drones as time goes,and problems surface? The article specifically says "If you buy a DJI drone from Best Buy, Amazon or any other retailer, you aren’t guaranteed to get the newest version of that drone. DJI makes small changes to their drones every few weeks. Sometimes it’s hardware and other times it’s software." If this isn´t true, it´s obviously better to buy from resellers but it would be nice to know for sure.
Yes, I'm quite sure. There's a saying that you should only believe nothing you hear and only half of what you see. That article is a good example of that.

Instead of restating what I have said before, I will tell you that any gimbal, core board, ESC or motor you buy today for a Mavic Pro will fit any Mavic Pro that DJI has made.

I probably have 100+ DJI drones hanging around here. I should start a drone museum. The Schwartzonian. It has a nice ring to it.

DJI Select is $50/USD/year and you don't get unlimited discounts, you get a limited number of accessory coupons, and you can't use them on the accessories you would want to use them on the most, like the Smart Controller, Crystal Sky products, DJI Goggles, etc. but you can use them on the ultra high margin accessories of those accessories.

Whether or not it's worth it is probably different from one person to the next, but there is a lot of fine print and exclusions. All the other membership 'perks' are things we should be getting anyway, such as timely repairs, a reasonable return period, fast shipping, "exclusive offers", etc.

You can (usually) get all of that and more at a good local shop, at least in my experience.

Last edited:
Does the 20% discount apply to the fly more kit?

I know it didn't on the Mavic 2 Fly More Kit when the Mavic 2 first came out (when most people would have taken advantage of it....) I am not sure if they work now. It's mostly a scam in my opinion.

If you don't need the $110 bag an $80 car charger (many cars don't even have a cigarette/12v port anymore), it's cheaper to just buy 2 extra batteries, a charging hub, and a set of props than the entire Fly More Combo. My local store just gave me a set of props for free when I bought my M2P.

Last edited:
Reactions: Former Member
Is this true? If so what may these changes be and do they really do it "every few weeks"?
DJI is definitely not making design changes every few weeks. Any software/firmware changes won't matter since those things can be updated after buying a new drone.

DJI has made undocumented design changes in the past shortly after releasing new models. For example -- when the Mavic Pro was first released, the rear cables were causing interference with the compass. DJI resolved that issue by twisting the cables (see more details here). I don't recall any major hardware issues that have been fixed mid release cycle since this Mavic Pro change back around December 2016.

I often buy direct from DJI. Never had a problem. In addition to free shipping and no tax, they also give you a 1% credit in the DJI Store.

Buying from authorized DJI dealers is okay too if they have stock and the price is right. It's sometimes more convenient too since you can walk into a store and take a drone home the same day.

Reactions: JSKCKNIT
I bought from a GOOD reseller.

Not Amazon or a web shop but a reseller that does the (UK) training for professional/commmercial use of Drones. They got into selling drones becuase they were an aerial film making outfit and bought a lot of drones. The main man is an EX RAF helecopter pilot and they are involed with the authorities in looking at the new UK CAA legislation. So whilst buying form them did not save me any money ver buying direct from DJI, I do have a discount when I need an Opperations manual (as required for PfCO in the UK) and access to a lot of advice on the end of a phone. Before during and after purchase the advice from people who use the kit on a daily basis is worth a lot.

So buying form a third party like https://www.aerialmotionpictures.co.uk is a GOOD IDEA (tm)

Buying from a webshop/box shifter to save a few $$$ or £££ is a silly idea long term.

Actually, if you buy DJI Select I think it's called, you get 50% off DJI Care Refresh and 4 or 5 coupons for 20% off accessories. Whether that makes up for distant shopping is your call.
That was the worse money I ever spent! They offered me 50% off Care Refresh for my Mavic Air without the coupon. Couldn't use the coupons for my crystalsky or goggles. I used the coupon for a new Mavic Air battery and paid $2 more than if I ordered it on Prime. I never crashed my Air, so I didn't need priority repair service and I didn't see or hear anything about getting priority for the Mavic 2 when it was released.

Anyone have any experience with B&H returns ?

It depends on what type of return and what the reason for return is. The only time I have ever returned something to them was a DOA server. They sent me a new one the same day I returned my DOA one,

I've been doing business with them for decades, and they are a great company. I believe their policy is that if you have flown the drone, you cant return it.

Returns | B&H Photo Video

Here is a conversation I just had with them on your behalf. Please check with them to make sure, but this is what they told me:

Opening Question: Can you tell me what your return policy is one drones?

Ian F: Hello Robert, my name is Ian F and I will be glad to assist you. Please give me a few moments to begin working on your inquiry.

Me: Thank you

Ian F: Drones are subject to our standard 30 day return policy, which is outlined here:

Me: Can I return it if I have flown it?

Ian F: Yes, so long as you have all of the original packaging.

It depends on what type of return and what the reason for return is. The only time I have ever returned something to them was a DOA server. They sent me a new one the same day I returned my DOA one,

I've been doing business with them for decades, and they are a great company. I believe their policy is that if you have flown the drone, you cant return it.

Here is a conversation I just had with them on your behalf. Please check with them to make sure, but this is what they told me:

Ian F: Hello Robert, my name is Ian F and I will be glad to assist you. Please give me a few moments to begin working on your inquiry.

Ian F: Drones are subject to our standard 30 day return policy, which is outlined here:

Above and beyond TD ! Above and Beyond.
Thank you !

I just love the fact that they offer C.O.D. Shipping with 10% down.
I know I’ll receive my package and verify that the package hasn’t been put through a car crusher. :) And with that return policy it makes it a no brained.

Reactions: Former Member
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02