DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

callibration trouble

Heijst

Reactions
My first flight this morning was normal.
After switching to a fresh battery and starting u the drone again I got a calibration error.
Did the normal routine: round horizontal en round nose downwards.
No result.
Tried several time more, turning off my mavic air as well as the controller, but in vain.
Went to more than five known locations, but still the same error. So no flight possible.
At the end went home and even there I couldn't get rid of this problem.
Finally, after several more attempts in my garden, I could solve the calibration problem.
Is this normal (not the first time I had to deal with this issue)
and what could I have done better?

If you are near metal it can trigger a false error and you will not be able to successfully calibrate. Near a car, your wrist watch your sidearm etc..

If you are near metal it can trigger a false error and you will not be able to successfully calibrate. Near a car, your wrist watch your sidearm etc..
Stay well clear of magnetic and metal sources. Also rfi from electrics wifi or bluetooth can cause interference if close enough. Apple watches especially

If it has been magnetised then very likely. Try to recalibrate it minus your leatherman being nearby

Will my LEATHERMAN - Juice CS4 Multitool interfere with the calibration? I keep it in my pants pocket. I have not noticed any interference.
You haven’t noticed, so probably not but it won’t hurt to leave it in the car.
What I’ve experienced with my wife’s Mavic Air... On her second training flight in a 20 acre flat, metal free field. I carry the MA out about 15 ft. power it up, place it on a landing pad and before I can get back, she says we have a problem. Calibrate compass, WTHeck. I take the controller and go get the MA and start the calibration FAIL, repeat FAIL, repeat FAIL. Wife says let me try, 30 seconds later ready to fly, WTHeck? She has an uneventful short flight and lands. After a short debriefing I go over swap out the battery and power up. She says we have a problem. WTHeck? Compass again. I power it down and have her go power it on... all systems go. WTHeck? She flies another short flight and lands. I power cycle and compass error again, power down have her power up and all is good. Starting to think I have to much iron in my blood.
I’m in the United States, I have a firearm carry permit, and carry a .45 pistol at all times, loaded with 14 rounds of .45 ACP. Yep it’s the frigen gun, tested and proven mutable times. The MA seems to be very sensitive to metallic interference. It’s very real, not a big deal as long as you are aware of it and stay clear of metal.
Side note... I’ve never had anything like this with my P4Pv1.

Reactions: Wyojet
Yep that would be enough to knock out the calibration. If you ever see a old ships compass at a boat fair or boot sale grab it, even a small handheld one, move your leatherman over or near the compass, if it moves the needle thats the bug. Good luck

Yep that would be enough to knock out the calibration. If you ever see a old ships compass at a boat fair or boot sale grab it, even a small handheld one, move your leatherman over or near the compass, if it moves the needle thats the bug. Good luck
Actually, it’s not knocking it out of calibration. It’s a false error. The metal is interfering and the MA Interprets it as needing calibration even though the calibration is fine, but in this state it can cause problems because once you’re clear of the interference the compass gets correct readings which is in contradiction with what was recorded at takeoff.

Actually, it’s not knocking it out of calibration. It’s a false error.
That's actually a real compass error.
But DJI's name of compass error confuses people.
It would be more accurately called a compass warning.
It's the compass warning you that it's detected a magnetic problem.
And recalibrating the compass will never fix that problem.
Moving away from the source of the problem is the correct action.

Reactions: Grumpy D
That's actually a real compass error.
But DJI's name of compass error confuses people.
It would be more accurately called a compass warning.
It's the compass warning you that it's detected a magnetic problem.
And recalibrating the compass will never fix that problem.
Moving away from the source of the problem is the correct action.
Or in my case putting the frigen gun in the car ?

Stay well clear of magnetic and metal sources. Also rfi from electrics wifi or bluetooth can cause interference if close enough. Apple watches especially
I didn't even think about my smartwatch, because most of the time I don't have any trouble, but I'll keep this in mind. Thanks!

Actually, it’s not knocking it out of calibration. It’s a false error. The metal is interfering and the MA Interprets it as needing calibration even though the calibration is fine, but in this state it can cause problems because once you’re clear of the interference the compass gets correct readings which is in contradiction with what was recorded at takeoff.
Yes I would agree with you its the item that is causing the interference, the interference then causes calibration error at takeoff that is different after takeoff.

I flew today in three locations, Newport, VT, dirty miles from last flight at Stowe, yesterday. Second, at Jay Peak, VT; fifteen miles from Newport. Then back to Stowe Mountain for another, close up view of the ski area. (The mountain was closed yesterday for the season.)
At each location, I got the error calibration error on the compass. Each time I tried to calibrate and failed but flew without any problems.
Are you saying that the Fitbit on my wrist, which connects bluetooth to my phone to transfer data, was the cause of these errors? And more importantly, the reason that I flew without problems was that it was "not really an error"?
Can you cite a reference for the Apple Watch interference, or is it your own observations?
Thanks,
Jim

I didn't even think about my smartwatch, because most of the time I don't have any trouble, but I'll keep this in mind. Thanks!

I flew today in three locations, Newport, VT, dirty miles from last flight at Stowe, yesterday. Second, at Jay Peak, VT; fifteen miles from Newport. Then back to Stowe Mountain for another, close up view of the ski area. (The mountain was closed yesterday for the season.)
At each location, I got the error calibration error on the compass. Each time I tried to calibrate and failed but flew without any problems.
Are you saying that the Fitbit on my wrist, which connects bluetooth to my phone to transfer data, was the cause of these errors? And more importantly, the reason that I flew without problems was that it was "not really an error"?
Can you cite a reference for the Apple Watch interference, or is it your own observations?
Thanks,
Jim
Yes, Fitbit could be a problem try with out. I referred to this as a false error, it is a real error, what I mean by fake is the the compass is ok but is getting interface if you remove the interface error is gone. It can fly fine in this condition but may not, the compass can be off by 5 degrees or 180 you don’t know.

Shot at three different places today at least twenty miles away from each other. First one, elevation 100', I got caught up in requesting a "variance" to fly because of Geofencing and totally forgot to remove my Fitbit before flight. No compass error. the second place elevation 1400'. I remembered to remove my Fitbit; no compass problem. Third site, elevation 700', I had to hike a bit for shots of a dam and the rapids below. Forgot to take off my Fitbit again; no compass issue!

If
Shot at three different places today at least twenty miles away from each other. First one, elevation 100', I got caught up in requesting a "variance" to fly because of Geofencing and totally forgot to remove my Fitbit before flight. No compass error. the second place elevation 1400'. I remembered to remove my Fitbit; no compass problem. Third site, elevation 700', I had to hike a bit for shots of a dam and the rapids below. Forgot to take off my Fitbit again; no compass issue!
If your fitbit has any effect at all (doubtful) it would only be when it is within inches of your mavic,

I have probably flown every flight with my Leatherman in my pocket. When the MA boots up, I'm about a meter or farther away. I don't think the mass of the Leatherman is enough at that distance to affect the MA.

But I might just be lucky...

I always havr the same compass calibration issue too in my usual flying spot.
However its works after i do the ‘calibration dance’, though at times i have to do a few rounds.

Read somewhere, its better to do the calibration on grass, even away fro concrete pavement or steps let alone structure, as there might be steel bar in those concrete.
I tried to avoid those, not sure whether its the reason my success rate of 1 time calibration is really high now.
Hope it helps

I have probably flown every flight with my Leatherman in my pocket. When the MA boots up, I'm about a meter or farther away. I don't think the mass of the Leatherman is enough at that distance to affect the MA.
But I might just be lucky...
Depending on the grade of stainless steel, it might not even have a magnetic field.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan