DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can anyone tell me what went wrong?

enodog

Reactions
Hello,
I was flying today in very light wind and my drone went crazy at 2 times during the short flight. The flight logs are attached does anyone know what went wrong? Luckily my 4 years of drone experience took over and i was able to land without a scratch but it was scary.
-Liam M.
(enodog)
p.s, still got some nice pictures

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-07_[18-18-58].txt
    1 MB · Views: 19
Hello,
I was flying today in very light wind and my drone went crazy at 2 times during the short flight. The flight logs are attached does anyone know what went wrong? Luckily my 4 years of drone experience took over and i was able to land without a scratch but it was scary.
-Liam M.
(enodog)
p.s, still got some nice pictures

Glad you got it back ok!

We actually need the .dat file from the drone. You’ll need to plug the drone into a computer via the USB cord.

If you haven’t already you’ll need to download the Assistant 2 for Mavic from DJIs website.

Then follow this guide to get the correct .dat file.

It’s possible the file will be too large to upload directly to this forum so you’ll need to make a Google drive folder with the file inside and post a link.

The file you’ve attached is a very small amount of jiberish that unfortunately doesn’t have any information in it at all.

Glad you got it back ok!

We actually need the .dat file from the drone. You’ll need to plug the drone into a computer via the USB cord.

If you haven’t already you’ll need to download the Assistant 2 for Mavic from DJIs website.

Then follow this guide to get the correct .dat file.

It’s possible the file will be too large to upload directly to this forum so you’ll need to make a Google drive folder with the file inside and post a link.

The file you’ve attached is a very small amount of jiberish that unfortunately doesn’t have any information in it at all.

Wow thank you for the response m. I will get on that in the morning but I’m kind up past my bed time so I’m going to sleep! Thank you and will post it in the morning
-Liam

Ignore his post completely, there is nothing that can be done with the assistant-recovered DAT from an M2, you'd just be wasting your time. It's even written on the page he linked you to...

Best you can get is the DAT from your mobile device.

How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Ignore the comment about needing a .dat file.
I'm not sure why that was recommended as it's not necessary.
Here's what the short version of your flight data looks like: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
I'd be happy to help but I really need a little more information so I know what I'm looking for.
So far I have a spreadsheet with 3000 rows and 37 columns full of numbers.
What went wrong and where in the flight was the incident?
Help me narrow it down.

Last edited:
I see an odd anomoly in a quick scan. All is looking well in P mode with 18 satellites. At 3:33.9 it dropped to 17 satellites. at 3:34.1 it went into sport mode. at 3:34.5, 16 satellites. at 3:36.5, P mode and 17 satelites. at 3:38.3 18 satellites. There's another drop into sport mode from 3:48.7 to 4:26.1 where it went back into p mode, with satellites bouncing between 16 and 18. Forced landing at 5:02.

TXTlogToCSVtool reports an error when trying to convert that log file, and only manages the first 34 seconds. It looks like it might be a problem with the file format from the the Mavic Enterprise/DJI Pilot.

AirData and PhantonHelp sites seem to manage the basic conversion, but the verbose output from PhantomHelp and CsvView, which are powered by TXTlogToCSVtool, suffers the same problem. @BudWalker?

There appears to be some uncommanded yaw activity at the end of the flight, but other than that nothing stands out based on the limited data conversion.

yaw.png

I've contacted the TXTlogToCSVtool author about a fix. In the interim @enodog could you retrieve the tablet .DAT? It'll be the .DAT with name ".....FLY031.DAT".

Reactions: sar104
I've contacted the TXTlogToCSVtool author about a fix. In the interim @enodog could you retrieve the tablet .DAT? It'll be the .DAT with name ".....FLY031.DAT".
Thank you for all the responses! Here is the .dat file

Attachments

• 2019-03-07_18-18-13_FLY031.DAT
    5.9 MB · Views: 9
Ignore the comment about needing a .dat file.
I'm not sure why that was recommended as it's not necessary.
Here's what the short version of your flight data looks like: DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com
I'd be happy to help but I really need a little more information so I know what I'm looking for.
So far I have a spreadsheet with 3000 rows and 37 columns full of numbers.
What went wrong and where in the flight was the incident?
Help me narrow it down.
It was right around 3:42 When the major "drift" happened.
Thank you,
Liam

Last edited:
It was right around 3:42 When the major "drift" happened.
There is something puzzling there.
You had been flying +/- south in sport mode and took your hands off the sticks at 3:37.2.
The drone continued in the same direction (178 degrees) and slowed down to approx 2mph.
At 3:41.8, with sticks still centred, the drone rotated about 80 degrees until it was facing north of east (approx 65 degrees) at 3:43.1.
The speed was slowing to 0.5 mph while this happened.
There is no corresponding joystick input to match this rotation.
The Verbose CSV file stops after about 1:08 so I'm not sure what to make of that uncommanded rotation.

I don't like to guess but without detailed data, there's not much option.
In sport mode, the drone's pitch is too much for Obstacle Avoidance to work.
The pitch eased as the speed slowed down.
Could the drone have been facing toward the sun which may have activated Obstacle Avoidance?

Last edited:
Reactions: enodog
You had been flying +/- south in sport mode and took your hands off the sticks at 3:37.2.
The drone continued in the same direction (178 degrees) and slowed down to approx 2mph.
At 3:41.8, with sticks still centred, the drone rotated about 80 degrees until it was facing north of east (approx 65 degrees) at 3:43.1.
The Verbose CSV file after about 1:08 so I'm not sure what to make of that uncommanded rotation.

I don't like to guess but without detailed data, there's not much option.
In sport mode, the drone's pitch is too much for Obstacle Avoidance to work.
The pitch eased as the speed slowed down.
Could the drone have been facing toward the sun which may have activated Obstacle Avoidance?

Wow thank you for your response. I think the sun was probably it becuase I was flying around sunset

The Verbose CSV file after about 1:08 so I'm not sure what to make of that uncommanded rotation.
Are you sure? I think this is what you're referring to. The time offsets between DatCon and @msinger 's converter are about 3 secs different.
1552149722483.png
Looks to me like there was rudder input and the AC rotated appropriately.

Reactions: enodog
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31