DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Chances of Mini 2 Surviving a Bird Strike?

thefrisbee995

Reactions
Hi, I recently flew my Mini 2 and got real close to a bird strike (video:0:28) and wondered, assuming the Mini survived the fall and didn't land in water, what is the likelihood of a bird being able to totally destroy the drone, damage being beyond the props being wrecked? Also, if this did happen, am I required to report this (United Kingdom) to any sort of authority? Hypothetically speaking of course, as you can tell by the video not being a lot shorter..

Thanks!

Could the actual strike destroy a Mini, I doubt it, unless it hit the gimbal (see later ** comment) or it was a big bird hitting fast and hard.
Could a strike break props? With a fair sized bird I would say it is a possibility. Any crash 'landing', including one caused by broken props, has the possibility of destroying the drone.
** Breaking a mini's gimbal is probably enough to destroy a mini in most people's book.

Can a bird strike bring done a drone? Yes it can but it is not a certainty that it will.
Unless any subsequent crash involved people and or the bird was a protected species I would be surprised if there is an obligation to report a bird strike.

All the above said, I would, in truth, be more concerned with injuries caused to the bird, they could easily be crippling and or result in death.

As a general rule stay away from chick raising geese, gulls and crows. Avoid oyster catchers at all times.
If you see a flock heading towards the drone get out of its way, full speed upwards is probably the best bet, even better if you can think-on to switch to sports mode.

Last edited:
Reactions: Howard70
what is the likelihood of a bird being able to totally destroy the drone, damage being beyond the props being wrecked?
It might or it might not, it's impossible to say as there's no such thing as a standard birdstrike.

Also, if this did happen, am I required to report this (United Kingdom) to any sort of authority?
No

Hi, I recently flew my Mini 2 and got real close to a bird strike (video:0:28) and wondered, assuming the Mini survived the fall and didn't land in water, what is the likelihood of a bird being able to totally destroy the drone, damage being beyond the props being wrecked? Also, if this did happen, am I required to report this (United Kingdom) to any sort of authority? Hypothetically speaking of course, as you can tell by the video not being a lot shorter..

Thanks!
If the bird strikes the prop , its coming off an the drone will most likely tail spin not able to catch itself. That is with most drones not just the Mini 2 . Birds are a threat and thus why you need to be able to see your drone to negotiate the birds.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your mini 2 in the Rain.

Thanks!

I watched your video, Nice Video… At 0:20, I saw the birds taking off as your Drone approached, (No you were not chasing them…), but after they flew away from your drone, they circled back, probably heading back because there was good feeding down there…

I live near the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia, USA, and even when I walk on the beach, the birds will take off but will circle back after I've passed…

If a bird hits your drone, it will most likely be an attack or your flight maneuvers caused the drone to hit the bird, not the bird hitting your drone accidently (they are not distracted by cell phone calls or texting…). When they are in flight, they do not bump into each other…

When they are flying they are "spacially aware" of where they are and where their buddies are. Think about a group of long distance runners all bunched up in a race, from the sideline you wonder how they do not trip over each other, but if you are in that group of runners, you know where you are and where everyone else is…

Check out this bird video…

But, to answer your question; of course a bird can damage your Mini 2. There are plenty of YouTube Videos showing Drones being taken out on YouTube. Most likely, the bird will just hit it and destabilize it a bit; if there is no damage, Broken Prop, Arm being folded in, etc…, the Drone will probably recover.

Now, an attack on the drone is an entirely different matter… If a bird or a "gang" of birds, like a Murder of Crows (so appropriate a term…) should take a disliking to your drone, you should quickly gain altitude (Climb, Baby Climb…). Birds have a lot or flight capability, but quickly gaining altitude is not one of their fortes.

Seagulls and crows are as a group the most obvious birds to avoid and whatever you do; do not see how close you can get to a predator's nest (eagle, hawk, falcon, owl, etc…) to take photos. Besides probably being illegal; these birds, as a group, are the most ferocious at protecting their nests.

Happy Droning and Fly Safe…

birds.png

Reactions: Faster
Crows can take down a Mini 2….
I lost one after a crow attack. I was flying low through some bushes when it attacked, just a black blur and drone was down. Not sure if the drone would have had a chance to recover if higher, or if the crow would have attacked even?

Thanks for the responses guys. Especially good idea just heading up when I see the birds heading towards the drone.

If the bird strikes the prop , its coming off an the drone will most likely tail spin not able to catch itself. That is with most drones not just the Mini 2 . Birds are a threat and thus why you need to be able to see your drone to negotiate the birds.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your mini 2 in the Rain.
I don't know how tough the mini 2 is and I never have had a bird strike but my FPV had a mid-air with another FPV that left my props marred and the red paint smudged on the other drone's legs but neither of them came down.

I don't know how tough the mini 2 is and I never have had a bird strike but my FPV had a mid-air with another FPV that left my props marred and the red paint smudged on the other drone's legs but neither of them came down.
Mini 2 is not tough, its fragile to bird strikes, , its no where near the Tank of your FPV .

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain.

Thanks for the responses guys. Especially good idea just heading up when I see the birds heading towards the drone.
Out-climbing works ...up to a point.
But if the bird is determined, that means you will now be exposed for longer trying to come back down and birds can descend faster than you can.

Birds have a lot or flight capability, but quickly gaining altitude is not one of their fortes.
While longer term altitude gathering is usually slow, some birds can really "pull Gs" and convert speed fast to altitude.

Though worst case would be peregrine falcon thinking drone as food.
Would be very hard to see its dive bombing attack in time to do anything.
(speed record fair 100 m/s)
And many other small to mid size hawks like sparrowhawk would be risks with their high agility.
Also despite of its size golden eagle isn't that much slower than peregrine in dive speed and faster in horizontal flying.

Propably also some other birds than raptors could be nasty if they consider drone as threat to their nest.
And in case of some owls it's not just the drone you should be worried about...
Ural owl is known from targeting also face with its claws, if it considers its nesting privacy violated too much.

Mini 2 is not tough, its fragile to bird strikes, , its no where near the Tank of your FPV .
Before even accounting mechanical strength, the lighter the drone the smaller the impact energy needed for flipping it completely over/tilting it too much.

Reactions: LoudThunder
Please see my thread post on this forum:

Birds trained to in-flight attack, disable, retrieve and deliver drones to its handler.​

Completely illegal to take down an aircraft in the U.S., with the possible exception of certain military uses.
Illegal to fly over a stadium too. But a falcon launched to go get it as the crowd cheers, and we remember the people who push the laws can claim immunity to it also. Just not us. Ask any cop.

Good afternoon to all-
I have spent much of my life watching birds- raptors in particular- as they go through their lives. Let me assure you, if any hawk, falcon or eagle wants to hit your drone, there is not a thing in the world you can do to stop it. You can't outclimb, outdive, or outfly one of these birds. Let me also say that these birds have remarkable eyesight, and they would not take a drone in mistake of a bird. My drones have been buzzed fairly closely by various hawks, but I believe this was mostly out of curiosity- not aggression.
Other species of bird, I can't really say. i do expect crows might mob a drone if they felt threatened by it, or even if they were just in a nasty mood as a group. Seagulls might try to take a drone- they are not particularly nice birds.
But truth be told, I don't think a bird/drone interaction would be good for either one.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

Any bird (or anything even fine and light) contacting props will probably end badly.
For any drone.
At least a good prop inspect later would be very wise.

I have evaded a very fast Peregrine Falcon by going up, left it in a circling pattern unable to follow me as fast.
Of course you have to see it buzzing you to know the urgency to leave the airspace.

I think raptors and nesting / territorial birds are the only real danger.
Others might buzz you, but they are very good at avoiding others birds in the sky, even when tightly flying in large flocks (Starlings, ducks / geese etc).

edited embarrassing typo

Last edited:
Illegal to fly over a stadium too. But a falcon launched to go get it as the crowd cheers, and we remember the people who push the laws can claim immunity to it also. Just not us. Ask any cop.
You really need to leave the anti-leo conspiracy sites alone. NO it is NOT ILLEGAL to fly over a stadium. Just that the proper permits need to be applied for and approved.

You really need to leave the anti-leo conspiracy sites alone. NO it is NOT ILLEGAL to fly over a stadium. Just that the proper permits need to be applied for and approved.
Didn’t know they have those sites. Which ones did you visit to read and learn that?
I am only talking to a guy in the training program with the birds now.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
erroos