DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Charging with handcrank or solar low amps

Mcolvin32

Reactions
I was curious if maybe something with high voltage could charge a mavic battery even though it is low amperage. I know it would be super slow but is it possible ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...ggrMAA&usg=AFQjCNGYUzhOXMKAeA8_gmMAGGgYVzD4rg

Also maybe thinking this solar panel may be able to do it

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...gg9MAA&usg=AFQjCNEtUnU220Q2bZCwZ4uy4RwlQ-2Xew

I am really looking for a solution that isn't super expensive I don't care if it takes all day to charge 1 battery I just want an off the grid charger.

Reactions: dex_
It's an interesting idea but...

The DJI Intelligent Flight Battery has a capacity of 3830 mAh, a voltage of 11.4 V,and a smart charge/
discharge functionality. With its power energy compact battery cell, it provides tremendous power source
for the aircraft. It should only be charged using an appropriate charger that has been approved by DJI.

I would get a car battery and a 12v to 110v converter. That'll keep you off the grid and you won't have to crank the thing all day lol.

Reactions: Mcolvin32
It's an interesting idea but...

The DJI Intelligent Flight Battery has a capacity of 3830 mAh, a voltage of 11.4 V,and a smart charge/
discharge functionality. With its power energy compact battery cell, it provides tremendous power source
for the aircraft. It should only be charged using an appropriate charger that has been approved by DJI.

I would get a car battery and a 12v to 110v converter. That'll keep you off the grid and you won't have to crank the thing all day lol.
Thanks for the reply I was thinking about using the dji car charger but I didn't know if it would work on such Low amperage on the solar panel I am looking for a hiking solution the car battery is just a lot to carry lol

Sorry about the double post I am just figuring this out.
I am sure you could manufacturer or rig a hand crank that would charge this but it would either be a beast to crank or you would have to do insane RPM's (or both) if you could find an old telephone crank that would probably be a good starting point. I like your thinking, I just do not think it would be practical for your intended use. Over the long run it would be easier and (prolly) cheaper to look at hydrogen fuel cells.
this might do it
Portable Hand Crank Power Generator w/ Voltage Regulator
or below with your car charger
K Tor Power Box Pedal Battery Charger for Cellphones and Other Gadgets

Last edited:
I am sure you could manufacturer or rig a hand crank that would charge this but it would either be a beast to crank or you would have to do insane RPM's (or both) if you could find an old telephone crank that would probably be a good starting point. I like your thinking, I just do not think it would be practical for your intended use. Over the long run it would be easier and (prolly) cheaper to look at hydrogen fuel cells.
this might do it
Portable Hand Crank Power Generator w/ Voltage Regulator
or below with your car charger
K Tor Power Box Pedal Battery Charger for Cellphones and Other Gadgets
That hand crank is rated at up to 30 watts that's pretty impressive... I saw the bike generator but I think carrying that I'm back at why not lug a car battery around. Honestly what I would really like to do is look into engineering something like the gravity light that can put out enough power to charge the batteries. Think about going into the field hoisting up a bad of rocks 30 feet on a pully and as it falls charging all your devices.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/GravityL...7467&wl11=online&wl12=601441565&wl13=&veh=sem

Okay just an update I got a buck converter an official dji car charger and a solar panel the official car charger not only has a voltage it needs to operate is wants the amperage also... so I plugged into my car and tested amperage and it needs a full 6 amps to function... so my plan is it buy a cheap mavic charger and see if it will take the 2 amp charge I want to give the battery which is about 1/2 C and should charge the battery in about 2.5 hours. Just waiting on amazon now.

any update if this actually works? I'd like to know if solar or hand crank can work, so on my long 3 weeks hikes I could justify bringing my mavic

any update if this actually works? I'd like to know if solar or hand crank can work, so on my long 3 weeks hikes I could justify bringing my mavic
I'll throw some pictures on here but I have the mavic battery charging at about 26 watts from a battery haven't got my panel yet... but it should be able 20 tug 40 watts from it. I did have to do some demo on the charger. I just cut it in half and used ec3 plugs to put it back together and then added ec3 plugs to my buck converter. I'm sure that hand crank could do it but .... mavic battery is 43 watt hours.... so at let's say 20 watts for that crank that is 2 hours standing there cranking that... I'm not sure if that's worth it. I have a solar panel is and 80 watt... having trouble with shipping but when it gets here I'll be excited to try it out.

Reactions: frostbyte
I just did some research on solar options, and the best I could find was Goal Zero. They use mono crystalline panels, super efficient, small and rugged. The smallest option is the Nomad 7 panels. I think we could charge our batteries off of this 110v inverter called the Sherpa.
Sherpa Amazon.com : Goal Zero Sherpa Inverter 110V : Camping And Hiking Equipment : Patio, Lawn & Garden
Nomad 7 mini Amazon.com : Goal Zero Nomad 20 Solar Panel : Patio, Lawn & Garden

what do you think? all this could fit in a backpack for sure.

I see that you mentioned the account inverter. Are you wanting to charge with the original a adapter that just probably isn't gonna happen with solar unless u wanna lug around a 2-4 pound batter

At 7 watts that panel will take about 7 hours... and I doubt you could get a steady 7 watts... you may get 1 battery a day with this. If your in full sun

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu