DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cinematic Aerial Video Tips for Beginners

51 Drones

Reactions
Gathering from my video comments over the years, it’s apparent that a lot of people are overwhelmed by all of the tips and tricks out there to get the best looking video outcomes from their drone. I decided to put together my 4 most important tips to help set the foundation.

Great job! Thanks for sharing!

thanks for that but it's old hat since I'm a subscriber :) ! Here's a vid idea for your channel: How to use Course Lock and Waypoints for your cinematic video. I can hear you..."Continuing the idea of how to create cinematic video, both Course Lock and Waypoints provide a way to create smooth footage unaffected by your jittery hands. Let's look at what I mean by that...". I mention this because I am just beginning to look at both as a means to smooth flying. I work hard at not bumping the sticks but sadly, I'm not perfect and both CourseLock and Waypoint seem to me a way to ensure smooth flying. I will be waiting till my world warms up before really working at either technique so you have a few months before I send the dogs out.

thanks for that but it's old hat since I'm a subscriber :) ! Here's a vid idea for your channel: How to use Course Lock and Waypoints for your cinematic video. I can hear you..."Continuing the idea of how to create cinematic video, both Course Lock and Waypoints provide a way to create smooth footage unaffected by your jittery hands. Let's look at what I mean by that...". I mention this because I am just beginning to look at both as a means to smooth flying. I work hard at not bumping the sticks but sadly, I'm not perfect and both CourseLock and Waypoint seem to me a way to ensure smooth flying. I will be waiting till my world warms up before really working at either technique so you have a few months before I send the dogs out.
Great idea!

Reactions: SeaPig
How to use Course Lock and Waypoints for your cinematic video.

They are great features for sure.
What current drones / Fly app etc have course lock ?
Do most have waypoints ?
Do any have home lock ?
The old M1P (and M2) has these and I certainly don't use them enough !

I’ll wait for somebody more knowledgable to answer most of those questions but will point out that the Mavic 3 has what I would call limited waypoints. Since there is not SDK out you can only use waypoints in a limited fashion but I knew this coming in so I can’t complain too much. I think all DJI drones can return home automatically if needed if that’s’ what you mean by home lock. I know the Mav 3 has course lock. Others I don’ know.

if that’s’ what you mean by home lock

No, home lock is on the Go4 app, and used with the M1P (and M2's), same as course lock, but moving the sticks has it come directly home, while you can turn the drone for smooth strafing shots along the path.
Course lock can be set up to do that without too much drama, but home lock just made it simple.

Added to my newbie library. Very informative and will be my point of reference for future film production. Thank you 51.

Terrific video! Russ always does a great job. Any of you new to drone flying, YOU SHOULD WATCH THIS VIDEO, as soon as you can before you do too much flying. I would add, make sure you get a good, wide, establishing shot. Whether you use that shot at the beginning of the video or at the end, you need a wide shot to give the viewer perspective and help set the scene so they get your story. I have seen wide shots very effectively use at the end of a video...there are many medium and CU shots of something, then there is a shot that pulls back and back, turning into a wide shot, so the viewers says, "Oh that's what that is!"

I would also add, you could try giving your video an anamorphic look, especially if it shots of beautiful, bold scenery like mountains. You could purchase special add-on lenses but you don't have to. Remember what Russ said, plan ahead. Plan out you video knowing you will shoot wider shots and crop them in editing to put the black bars at the top and bottom. There is something about that look that makes people thing "Cinematic."

Gathering from my video comments over the years, it’s apparent that a lot of people are overwhelmed by all of the tips and tricks out there to get the best looking video outcomes from their drone. I decided to put together my 4 most important tips to help set the foundation.

Love watching your YOUTUBE channel. Yep and I’m a subscriber 😊

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_