DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cleaning the camera lens/sensor on the Mavic Pro

BrAinZ

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I look after my Mavic Pro like a fanatic, always keeping it in a case, keeping it well away from dirt and dust etc. But over the last few months I have noticed that I have spots/marks across my photos and video. This only tends to be be really noticeable when I create HDR photos from my bracketed shots, but I really want to try and resolve this.

On my DSLR this would be a sign that I have dust or marks on my sensor and on that it’s a relatively easy job to lift the mirror and clean the sensor.

How easy is it to dismantle the camera on the Mavic Pro to be able to clean it inside?

If that’s not possible, where can I buy JUST a replacement camera? and any ideas how much that would be?

Here's an example (wouldn't normally be using this high a level of HDR, but just showing as an example)...

Mottistone Chursh - EXAMPLE (Large).jpg

Last edited:
I believe previous threads on this revealed the camera lens is part of the complete camera module, and the lens in all integral and can't be removed.

Couldn't find that thread, but think this is the video tutorial I found on YouTube, and posted . . .

Thanks.... now, I wonder where the best place to buy a replacement camera is. All of the ads so far seem to be for the whole gimbal assembly.

Not sure where you are, probably the USA ?

OP in YT comments and video said US$12 ebay.
Try a search on google for that.
I'm in Australia, and probably get ebay Oz results.

Try posting a wanted ad in the classified section too !
Could well be a few floating around, and we have a couple of suppliers that may have a part about they can send you.

I’m in the UK, nobody seems to list just the camera here.

The marks are only visible in high contrast shots.

I didn't thick you could clean the sensor on a mavic, are you sure its not the hdr that is causing the marks?. and
are there any marks on the lens itself, the only reason a dslr get a dirty sensor is the fact that when changing lens its open to the air.

that looks like the hdr process is causing the problem and not the camera

My assessment would be those are dust spots on the sensor (a lot!) and that the HDR process is exasperating them. HDR adds a lot of detail and will make things like dust spots that aren't normally visible become very visible.

I could be wrong but those do look a lot like dust spots, and I've never had HDR cause anything that looks that issue before on its own.

if it was visible on a none hdr image , then maybe its the sensor. but with it being a sealed unit I find it difficlut to believe it is

I think you need to get your M1P tested for Coronavisus !!

No seriously, that is not good, nice photo by the way, shame about the sky effect.
Can that be seen on a decent monitor on the lower parts too ?

Hope some comparos can get to the bottom of it.

I would try the UK section and classifieds to see if someone has a wrecked M1P and see it you can snare one, even complete for some other spares.

Why would you want to clean the interior of the camera. I believe it's a sealed unit so no dust should make its way to the optics nor the sensor. Cleaning the front lens cover is another story and it should be done rarely and with proper materials when it is done.

An air blower is useful to blow off casual dust and clean the front before using other methods (lens tissue and cleaner) so as to remove gritty material and avoid scratches. If you're careful (store the unit with the camera protector on & don't touch the front of the camera), dust should be the only thing that ever needs removal.

The sky blotches don’t look like what you might expect from dust I’m tbe sensor.

Start by cleaning the front element and filter if you can get it off.

Maybe back off your settings in HDR processing a little- you will also get a more natural looking image as a result.

Cleaning the front lens cover is another story and it should be done rarely and with proper materials when it is done.
Start by cleaning the front element and filter if you can get it off.

That's the thing though, there is no front lens cover, and the lens in integral to the camera unit.

To me, the splotches look like repeated condensation or similar, and maybe some sort of residue / fungus type thing is developing.
But if it came on sudden, that might not be the case . . . trouble is it seems to hide in the detail, but stand out on sky so it might have been developing over a short time.

That's the thing though, there is no front lens cover, and the lens in integral to the camera unit.

To me, the splotches look like repeated condensation or similar, and maybe some sort of residue / fungus type thing is developing.
But if it came on sudden, that might not be the case . . . trouble is it seems to hide in the detail, but stand out on sky so it might have been developing over a short time.
"if you can get it off". It is well understood that the camera isn't designed for ease of end user disassembly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
O'Ryan