DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cold hands?

scro

Reactions
Does anyone else get very cold hands when flying in winter? I've managed to get out and fly a few times just recently, but have found that the temperature rating for my hands isn't as good as for the MM. I use fingerless gloves with fold-back mitten parts and don't normally suffer from cold extremities. Despite this I have found that my hands are painfully cold and barely functional enough to operate the controller within the 20+mins a battery will last. Any tips?

Last edited:
Reactions: old man mavic
@scro its one of the biggest problems i have in winter flying and there is no real answer to it you can get chemical pads that produce heat and also there are a enclosures like a large mitten that encase the controller but i think that they are a bit cumbersome,if its a sunny cold day then after a while, i find that my hands seem to become oblivious to the cold and i can cope with it, i find it worse on dull overcast winter days if its breezy,

Reactions: shaneb50 and scro
On a motor bike I used to use handle bar muffs and thinsulate gloves, the muffs defeated the wind, rain and windchill. The gloves were for insulation. I often rode in freezing or below freezing conditions without cold hands. Try normal insulating gloves with just the tip of the screen finger removed. I have wondered about a DSLR style cover ( transparent) for the controller, phone and my hands.

The gloves I use have a thinsulate lining with a wool knit outer. The only parts of my hands that are exposed are the very tips of my thumbs and first fingers. The other 3 fingers are tucked in to the mitt covers. When I say 'fingerless' gloves they're more like 'fingertipless' as they have essentially what is open ended fingers. The real killer seems to be wind... maybe you're onto something there with the transparent dslr style cover for the entire remote @PhiliusFoggg !

Diy versions called for I think. The 'fur' is, I think, a bad idea. It would trap water, better to have plain waterproof material that would shed water.

Maybe this is what we need?

I have one of those and it works great .
3f095f8e18d3ced064c52a32e9992e0f.jpg

I had a pair of those... for a day and hated them. Cold hands are usually a sign of poor circulation (guilty as charged). The cuffs on that pair were so tight my hands got cold INDOORS while trying them. I did try them for a *very* short outdoor jaunt, 50 meters to a store and back. The wind ripped through them and my hands were freezing. No thank you. I did end up with some wind proof cycling gloves with touch screen fingertips. Better, but not totally the answer.

Does anyone else get very cold hands when flying in winter? I've managed to get out and fly a few times just recently, but have found that the temperature rating for my hands isn't as good as for the MM. I use fingerless gloves with fold-back mitten parts and don't normally suffer from cold extremities. Despite this I have found that my hands are painfully cold and barely functional enough to operate the controller within the 20+mins a battery will last. Any tips?

I hear you. My hands get very cold, sometimes even indoors. Poor circulation. However, having been a ski instructor for a few decades I have some tips and tricks. When in the cold your body's first response is to keep your organs warm, so it does so by getting extra blood from your extremities. So the first thing is to keep your body warm.

Start by wearing a GOOD hat in addition to a good insulated jacket and pants that keep your legs warm. 80% of the heat lost is through your head. Silk long underwear is the best for keeping your legs and body warm. It doesn't let you get cold outside and doesn't overheat you inside. It's thin enough you can wear it under your clothing all day and not even notice.

Next, make sure that you have plenty of room in your gloves and that the cuffs on your jacket aren't cutting circulation. I have one or two sets of gloves with knit cuffs... and cut them off. Its amazing how gloves that are supposed to keep your hands warm actually make them colder.

Last, understand that the blood comes to your fingers through your arms, wrists and hands. You can pre-warm the blood with heat packs strategically placed. When I have to stand outside in the cold all day I will fire up some hand warmers even before my hands get cold and put them inside my gloves, either where I can grip them or on the backs of my hands. SKI INSTRUCTORS TIP: IT IS EASIER TO STAY WARM IN THE FIRST PLACE THAN WARM UP AFTER YOU GET COLD!

Edit: I thought what @Canuk was showing was a jacket. It's essentially a fancy muff for RC controllers. These look perfect! I think I'm going to order one for myself.

Post edit-edit... Just ordered one on Amazon. $18 USD. Again, thanks Canuk.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paul51 and Mrmund
I have one of those and it works great .
3f095f8e18d3ced064c52a32e9992e0f.jpg
Those are gloves??? Looks like a jacket :0. Hmmm... might be worth trying.

I have these. I bought them for cold weather photography and they've been dual tasked for my flight time. So far my weather has gone anywhere from 5F (with the wind chill) to 30's and they've worked great for me.

I bought two electronica handwarmers and put one in each jacket pocket turn them on high and then I use gloves with fingertips cut off on the fingers needed for operation and then every four or five minutes I warm my hands and fingers on the electric heaters it works fairly well.

Reading this in Maine with interest. Amazon search for "Drone Remote Control Winter Gloves" returned a lot of results. If anyone has found a winner among those selections, please post a link...

I fish a lot during the winter. I have an all in one suit (padded). Also used a nice wooly beany hat.

But, and this may sound silly, I wear special winter boots (Hot foot). Best piece of winter clothing I ever bought. No more freezing cold feet. I used to get so warm (and stayed warm) I never needed gloves (and that's a true story)

There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing.

I think the lesson here is, don't just concentrate on your hands, focus on your whole body.

One last thing, the odd cup of coffee/tea often helps too.

Happy winter flying.

Hi I fly in ontario and quebec winter and alot of the time it is minus 10C and what I do is I where my gloves but I use a stylus to operate camera and fly app

This is probably my biggest problem. I have actually sat in my car to fly it around close to me at the golf course I fly around. I will get in warm up then get back out if I want to fly further away.

I often find my hands getting really cold during the winter ? my fingers will cramp up from extreme cold weather,so I have to put on gloves but not the thick ones.just some thing to stay a bit warm. lol I’m a old man trying to stay warm while outside flying my drone around ?[emoji106]Happy flying everyone

I think I'm going to have to than @Canuk for the suggestion of the controller muff. I had no idea such things were already made. Mine came today and I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I think it could do a lot to help. The question will be how cumbersome they will be to actually use? Maybe I'll get to test it out in the next day or two.

Reactions: scro
I think I'm going to have to than @Canuk for the suggestion of the controller muff. I had no idea such things were already made. Mine came today and I haven't had a chance to use it yet, but I think it could do a lot to help. The question will be how cumbersome they will be to actually use? Maybe I'll get to test it out in the next day or two.
Interested to hear how you get on with it...

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pleopard