DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Compass problems, why the two or perhaps more and possibly mutually exclusive symptoms?

Yorkshire_Pud

Reactions
That I have seen there are two symptoms.
1) Take off is allowed and then the drone flies seemingly out of control and some times in an arc.
2) A warning saying that "compass calibration is required" etc. is issued and the drone will not start motors.

I am not asking for the solutions, I am asking why differing symptoms?

what drone are you talking about? I've never seen either symptom. I fly a Mini 3, Mavic 3 and FPV. Might you be trying to fly from a place or area with magnetic interference?

Any of them. There is a Mavic 3 flyaway thread running at the moment which seems to be due to 1) and that is actually what prompted this question. I quite frequently get compass needs calibrating messages with a Mavic Mini.

That I have seen there are two symptoms.
1) Take off is allowed and then the drone flies seemingly out of control and some times in an arc.
2) A warning saying that "compass calibration is required" etc. is issued and the drone will not start motors.
... I am asking why differing symptoms?
There are two important features of magnetic fields:
Strength of the field​
Direction of the field​
The magnetic field that the compass works mostly is the earth's magnetic field, which is fairly weak.
When the compass detects a magnetic field that is stronger than the earth's magnetic field, it's programmed to warn you.

When the compass is close to a magnetic field of similar (or weaker) strength to the earth's, if it is has a different direction to the earth's field, it can deflect the compass but you won't get any warning because the compass has no way to tell that it's not the earth's magnetic field.

I think DJI drone's are sentient and they are just messing with you...

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661