DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Controller battery runs down quickly

Is there any way to stop the S7 charging when using the controller? I tried changing the USB connection settings and tried USB debug mode but it is just stuck at "charging" mode. Everything works fine but the phone just drains the controller's battery.

Sent from my SM-G935F using MavicPilots mobile app
Not without rooting your phone.

Reactions: TheSaffer
Hi all

The battery on my Controller seems to run down very quickly and seems to need to be recharged after only 2-3 flights.

(Yet on the forums most people say they get about 6 full flights from 1 charge)

Anyone else experienced a similar issue, or know of a solution please?
There is a setting in Samsung S7 to switch from fast charge to regular. I'm guessing that will have a positive and material effect. I'll test soon (after it stops raining.)

Reactions: Dougie
There is a setting in Samsung S7 to switch from fast charge to regular. I'm guessing that will have a positive and material effect. I'll test soon (after it stops raining.)
Unfortunately that won't change anything since the controller is not outputting a higher quick charge voltage to begin with.

Reactions: Kilrah
Looking at all the responses, the numbers posted are so different than mine.

iPhone 7 as my secondary screen and my controller drains about 5-10% per battery. Phone drains about the same.

Mavic - North Bay, CA

Looking at all the responses, the numbers posted are so different than mine.

iPhone 7 as my secondary screen and my controller drains about 5-10% per battery. Phone drains about the same.

Mavic - North Bay, CA
iPhones should not have this issue

iPhones should not have this issue
Should not but they do as reported by many people on several forums. Android phones drain the controller but stay at pretty much 100% charge. iOS devices do not drain the controller but in most cases esp. with anything below the 7 they do drain pretty quickly. iPads seem to be ok but then they have a bigger battery so the impact may not be as obvious. The iPhone 6/6s issues could simply be down to the battery being old. Mine is going to be replaced next week so will see if that makes any difference or not.

The Mavic Battery to Power Bank Adaptor uses a Mavic battery to charge your phone, tablet or the RC. So you're trading running down a charged flying battery to recharge your device or RC. Sounds like something you wouldn't want to do unless you just really needed to get one more flight in or you have a whole bag full of extra Mavic batteries. Or is there some other scenario I'm missing?

Sent from my iPad using MavicPilots

Use a battery that has been flown. The residual power is enough to charge a phone

Reactions: Kilrah
Use a battery that has been flown. The residual power is enough to charge a phone

I know that the batteries have built in management but not sure how well it works with the USB adapter. I would want official word from DJI if they recommend using a depleted battery as doing so could drain the battery below a reasonable level having an impact on the life of the LiPo. Saying that DJI are pretty diligent with battery management so it may be ok, just being over cautious I guess :)

Reactions: Mr Spock
Using an "empty" battery to charge the phone/controller is the very reason for the adapter to exist.
This adapter can be connected to the Mavic’s Intelligent Flight Battery, turning it into a power bank. Thanks to its high capacity, an Intelligent Flight Battery at 25% charge can fully charge the Mavic’s controller, or an iPhone 6.

Battery management is done in the battery, it doesn't care what's behind.

Reactions: Dougie
First 3 flights today, all three batteries down to 50%, started with full iPhone 6+ on Airplane mode, Phone was at 70% after the flights, so if I flew all three down to 15% the phone would use about 50% for the 3 flights, my P3 only used 15% on 3 flights. So for some reason the Mavic is using three times as much phone battery as my P3 did. Not good at all, must be a big power leak, they need to fix this.

How have you got on with the spira? I have bought one but not been brave enough to try it yet. I feel it's a bit laggy when just testing it in the house just using the camera and mavic by hand. I have an iPhone 6s Plus which I use but wanted a bigger screen and can't justify iPad mini 4 but very tempted.

I found to keep mine going I use the bottom USB to my Note 5 mobile and then after connection takes place, I put a cable from the side port on the RC to a charged battery with the cable charger adapter attached. It charges the RC and phone just fine for me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vilco and Mr Spock
I found to keep mine going I use the bottom USB to my Note 5 mobile and then after connection take place, I put a cable from the side port on the RC to a used battery with the cable charger adapter attached. It charges the RC and phone just fine for me.
The problem with this solution is it causes things to be too messy and bulky

They need to disable charging from USB, my phone is draining the controller. Haven't even gone for my first test flight yet, only messing around with the on screen functions and the controller has already been drained from 100% down to 33%

is there something on the market that will quickly charge the controller? It appears to take for ever to charge this little thing.

Hi all

The battery on my Controller seems to run down very quickly and seems to need to be recharged after only 2-3 flights.

(Yet on the forums most people say they get about 6 full flights from 1 charge)

Anyone else experienced a similar issue, or know of a solution please?

What phone are you using? While using my iPhone 6s+ the my remote goes from 100% to 75% while flying over an hour using three batteries. Perhaps the phone you use is somehow draining the remote.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580