DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Costa Rica Rules and Regulations

New regulations out last aug 13, 2017. You need a license before flying. It said there that you need to be a high school graduate, have 48hrs theoretical and 10hrs practical from a drone school approved or recognized by dgac, etc. Getting harder and harder to fly even if just recreational. Leaning towards not bringing my drone anymore. Too hassle i think.

It says even for private or commercial. Google july 7, 2017 costa rica drone news. Its an english version.

I wrote an email to the DGAC, this was the answer:
Greetings, in Costa Rica there are limitations for the use of drones (attached), you simply must comply with these limitations.
a document was attached, you find it below (it's Spanish but you can translate it with Google Translate). There's nothing written about a license.

Attachments

• cc05_15 opr drones AIC.pdf
    15.5 KB · Views: 28
I wrote an email to the DGAC, this was the answer:
a document was attached, you find it below (it's Spanish but you can translate it with Google Translate). There's nothing written about a license.

Oh wow they replied to you? Ive been emailing them with no response at all. Ill check this out

I didn't got an answer neither. But then I found an email of an employee, so I decided to write him directly :D

Hi there. I sent this email to a DGAC inspector yesterday and got the answer below. The document he attached is the same as the one a previous poster already uploaded to this thread.

Dear Mr. Xxx

In a couple of days, we will come to Costa Rica for vacation. I planned to bring my dji Mavic Pro drone with me to make some pictures and videos for personal use. I was looking for the current laws concerning drones, but unfortunately i only find very contradictory informations.

What i found so far is the following:

• You cannot fly higher than 120 meters (400 feet)
  • You must fly stay at least 8km (5 miles) from an airport
  • You cannot fly within 30 meters (100 feet) of any house or building
  • You cannot fly over large activities or groups of people without prior authorization
  • The following areas are completely off limits to drones, La Reforma Prison, The Presidential House, El Ministerio de seguridad publica, Arenal volcano, La palma passage, The Zurqui Tunnel, El Murcielago Police Training Center
Are there any licenses or permits needed to fly a drone in Costa Rica?

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Kind regards

Answer

Greetings Mr. Xxx, for recreational use of the drone you must only comply with the operating limitations (attached).

See the attached document.

Attachments

• cc05_15 opr drones AIC.pdf
    15.5 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: Chadnovz
Hi there. I sent this email to a DGAC inspector yesterday and got the answer below. The document he attached is the same as the one a previous poster already uploaded to this thread.

Dear Mr. Xxx

In a couple of days, we will come to Costa Rica for vacation. I planned to bring my dji Mavic Pro drone with me to make some pictures and videos for personal use. I was looking for the current laws concerning drones, but unfortunately i only find very contradictory informations.

What i found so far is the following:

• You cannot fly higher than 120 meters (400 feet)
  • You must fly stay at least 8km (5 miles) from an airport
  • You cannot fly within 30 meters (100 feet) of any house or building
  • You cannot fly over large activities or groups of people without prior authorization
  • The following areas are completely off limits to drones, La Reforma Prison, The Presidential House, El Ministerio de seguridad publica, Arenal volcano, La palma passage, The Zurqui Tunnel, El Murcielago Police Training Center
Are there any licenses or permits needed to fly a drone in Costa Rica?

Thank you very much for your feedback!

Kind regards

Answer

Greetings Mr. Xxx, for recreational use of the drone you must only comply with the operating limitations (attached).

See the attached document.

I got the same email. So we are good to fly

I live in Costa Rica and am flying back there tomorrow with a brand new Mavic Pro. I am a complete rookie so will be needing LOTS. Of help!! I work in tourism so would live to help folks coming here ...I live in Manuel Antonio...with any issues in exchange for drone flying tips! Lol

I'm going tomorrow for 3.5 weeks to Costa Rica. If I have some problems with my mavic, I would tell you guys.

I live in Costa Rica and am flying back there tomorrow with a brand new Mavic Pro. I am a complete rookie so will be needing LOTS. Of help!! I work in tourism so would live to help folks coming here ...I live in Manuel Antonio...with any issues in exchange for drone flying tips! Lol

Were staying in manual antonio

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tarizzman