DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Could this be sensor problems?

Keatek

Reactions
I was out with my Mavic 2 Pro yesterday which was cold crisp with snow on the ground. Fog bank slowly approaching.
I flew my normal 'Training' circuits over a field with a gentle hill. I flew the drone up to about 20 metres and when flying in a straight line the drone 'stopped dead'. The handset (Smart Controller) stated that in order to continue, the joysticks needed centred. Did this and it flew fine.
This happened on multiple occasions, then changed battery and all was well. On my third change of battery the fault/error came back again. Albeit just the once.

Any thoughts?? Sensors being upset by something? condensation or something more sinister? Its pouring down or I would go and give it another go today.

Thanks in advance folks!!

Any thoughts?? Sensors being upset by something? condensation or something more sinister? Its pouring down or I would go and give it another go today.
It was obstacle avoidance.
Something was upsetting the sensors, perhaps fog or a bright reflection etc.

The Battery can become Compromised by flying in the Snow depending on how wet the snow was. Did you notice if the battery was flashing on the top or if it did not turn off right away.

Those intelligent batteries have a lot of functions over your drone and because the Power Button is very susceptible to moisture can affect the battery which affects the drone.

If the Battery is compromised your likely to experience more problems when using that battery.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic 2 in the Rain and the Snow.

@Keatek just out of interest was the sun out at the time ,because the bright sun can fool the forwards sensors into thinking there is an obstacle in front of the drone also the sun reflecting off the white snow can have a similar effect

Batteries cannot set off obstacle avoidance.
That comes directly from the obstacle avoidance sensors.

True: The problem is that he did not mention any sensor warnings

" Stopped dead'. The handset (Smart Controller) stated that in order to continue, the joysticks needed centered. Did this and it flew fine.

We have seen this warning with a compromised battery

"This happened on multiple occasions,

This can also be followed by the Battery Warning on Screen that the Battery can no longer connect to the controller.

This is why I am leaning towards the battery rather than the optical avoidance sensors.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Ex Coelis
True: The problem is that he did not mention any sensor warnings

" Stopped dead'. The handset (Smart Controller) stated that in order to continue, the joysticks needed centered. Did this and it flew fine.
This is the screen message that comes up when OA brings the drone to a stop.
We have seen this warning with a compromised battery
Perhaps you have, but it sounds very, very unlikely because it is an OA message and has nothing at all to do with the battery.

Reactions: tribar and SkyeHigh
This is the screen message that comes up when OA brings the drone to a stop.

Perhaps you have, but it sounds very, very unlikely because it is an OA message and has nothing at all to do with the battery.
Yet he replaced the Battery and the drone flew fine, yet there was no sensor warning.

Sensor warning are very apparent and easy to get, there would be no reason not to get a sensor warning unless the Battery was not connecting with the drone properly is what I am thinking.

We test sensors in the snow / rain with them covered , half covered, upside down, sensors are pretty telling.

If they get confused they correct on the next flight but other problems not sensor related keep coming back.

We have found that Cold - Wet - can really affect the connection from the battery to the drone such as having to center the sticks when they dont need any adjusting or the drone just coming to a complete stop.

Senors can be abused and keep on ticking as we have shown, , but that battery cannot .
If there would have been a sensor warning than i can see your view point.

Phantomrain.org

Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water.

• Haha
There was one and he mentioned it, and he mentioned it happening with 2 batteries... battery has nothing at all to do with any of this. Read the post.

But he did poorly word his message saying "stopped dead" which would logically be interpreted as "powered off and fell out of the sky" but it actually just stopped in place due to obstacle avoidance.

Just disable OA in these conditions.

Reactions: SkyeHigh and Meta4
There was one and he mentioned it, and he mentioned it happening with 2 batteries... battery has nothing at all to do with any of this. Read the post.

But he did poorly word his message saying "stopped dead" which would logically be interpreted as "powered off and fell out of the sky" but it actually just stopped in place due to obstacle avoidance.

Just disable OA in these conditions.

I have read his thread several times i did not see any talk of a senor warning, but i have old eyes I will take your word for it,

It was pinpointed out to you just above by Meta4...

Blind as a bat as I do not see a sensor warning , anyway regardless, ugh.

Sensor correct themselves when they get confused, they dont break,

But when the Battery starts to struggle you also get that error. followed by the battery can no longer connect to the drone . That is my point as it will keep coming back because the battery is the issue.

That is why I dont think it is directly with the sensor as much as the drone not being able to connect which can lead to these errors of the centering sticks.,

I also might be insane i dont see anything that says sensors , but I do see battery which for me combined with the error message we have seen before which makes it LIKELY ,

I am never so sure as META 4 is but I do have experience
with comprised batteries and the battle is always fun, ?

Screenshot 12-05-2020 19.02.48.jpg

Last edited:
  • Haha
He probably only quoted part of the message, the part that tells him what to do to resume movement.

I agree with others, it was an obstacle, real or phantom, detected.
It was just circumstances that OA wasn't encountered on the 2nd battery. It did occur again on the third flight. This was not a battery issue. I think he mentioning battery is distracting you. Try re-reading the post, but substute "flight" for "battery".

The other clue was that there was fog in the area. Fog can be seen as an obstacle to the sensors.

Sensor correct themselves when they get confused, they dont break,
There is nothing "wrong" about the sensor to "correct".

When the OA detects an obstacle (whether real or imaginary one) it stops the aircraft, the app gives the "center sticks" message and you have to do that before you can continue, and that's exactly what he reported. Totally normal operation.

There is nothing "wrong" about the sensor to "correct".

When the OA detects an obstacle (whether real or imaginary one) it stops the aircraft, the app gives the "center sticks" message and you have to do that before you can continue, and that's exactly what he reported. Totally normal operation.

I dont think Multiple occasions would be considered normal operations ?

Sensor can get confused and cause forced landings and they can stop your drone from moving as we have posted videos on both events happening. but when you restart the drone it resets and your sensor start working again.

So not everything adds up for me, however if you want to say that those errors are just normal operations in flying in the Fog , you can, but I cannot .

I also think that the OP is a well seasoned Pilot and knows that this was not normal operating conditions and that he has flown thu fog without issue in the past and something is different.

If you to to our website you will see that the only time we fly is in the Pouring Rain - Fog or heavy snow where we are trying to break the drone to find weakness , the Mavic 2 showed no sensor issues and no amount of Fog should be an issue if the battery is protected.

The First 2 flights are the Mavic 2 and the last one is at 29:30 Mark.

Phantomrain.org

Last edited:
  • Haha
no amount of Fog should be an issue if the battery is protected.
The issue was something affecting the optical obstacle avoidance sensors.
No amount of wrapping up the drone or battery will do anything to prevent optical sensors from triggering when they detect something that appears to be an obstacle.
The issue really has nothing to do with the battery.

The issue was something affecting the optical obstacle avoidance sensors.
No amount of wrapping up the drone or battery will do anything to prevent optical sensors from triggering when they detect something that appears to be an obstacle.
The issue really has nothing to do with the battery.

Dont worry Meta4 you will most likely be the one to bring home the Trophy .

It will be interesting if the OP says there was a fly stuck on the Optical Avoidance Sensor or something else more sinister which is what I am suspecting. I love a good puzzle and this one its good.

Phantomrain.org
Coal

Last edited:
I dont think Multiple occasions would be considered normal operations ?
if you want to say that those errors are just normal operations in flying in the Fog
Fog looks like an obstacle to the vision system so yes it's perfectly normal to have the aircraft stop repeatedly. It's long known behavior.
Sensor can get confused and cause forced landings
The obstacle detection has nothing to do with landing.

You keep giving wrong advice to people becasue you have no idea what you're talking about and completely confuse the different aircraft systems. Maybe stick to making accessories since that doesn't require understanding the aircraft?

Fog looks like an obstacle to the vision system so yes it's perfectly normal to have the aircraft stop repeatedly. It's long known behavior.

The obstacle detection has nothing to do with landing.

You keep giving wrong advice to people becasue you have no idea what you're talking about and completely confuse the different aircraft systems. Maybe stick to making accessories since that doesn't require understanding the aircraft?

My bad , my response was to the OP he was using the words sensor so I did to.
My point is Sensors in General correct themselves after a restart.

Screenshot 12-06-2020 05.55.11.jpg

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000