DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashed my mavic pro, need help to find/localize it

Reactions
I crashed my mavic and have DJI care refresh for 1 more month active. I tried to find, went out to the area but without the exact location it s impossible. I m new to the forum.
Shortly the story: This happened back in December. I took out my drone to fly at a bike trail, the dji 4 app crashed, but continued to fly since rarely took out my drone and I have to travel a few miles since airport in the area. I could see the drone with my eyes. Some bikers were approaching and looked at that direction (I was out of their way, just kind of a reflex to see who is coming) when I looked back I couldn t see my drone and after that everything happened very fast. DJI couldn t help a lot, they wanted flight info from my app what I downloaded and sent to them and they sent back the location of the drone, which obviously was the location where the app closed on me, not where the drone crashed. I couldn t download the info from the RC, I ve seen sometimes needed a software, I likely would need that. DJI told me anyway that info wouldn t help. I believe the black box of the drone RC should contain the last information of the drone location since the RC was connected to the drone till the battery of the drone emptied out completely after the crash, about 15 minutes. If anybody can give me clues or that software and steps to do to get to that info would be awesome. I m sure there is a lot of knowledgeable people out there. Thank you, looking forward to light up the location of the drone.

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Thank you for your answer msinger. I think you refer to the DJI app TXT flight log. The app closed in mid flight and the crash happened about 5-10 minutes after it. Since the app wasn t connected can t have data of the crash location. Now, I m trying to get info again from the RC, never could and won t allow me right now. I post picture what shows up. 15 minutes to save info, the RC wanted to shut down 2 times, but moved a joystick to keep connected. Is any other way to get that info ? Never could do or see more than this. I should have a list with flight info and be able to select and download specific one. Does anybody have a software to "extract the info" ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 3.38.23 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-03-27 at 3.38.23 PM.png
    156.3 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:
Thank you for your answer msinger. I think you refer to the DJI app TXT flight log. The app closed in mid flight and the crash happened about 5-10 minutes after it. Since the app wasn t connected can t have data of the crash location. Now, I m trying to get info again from the RC, never could and won t allow me right now. I post picture what shows up. 15 minutes to save info, the RC wanted to shut down 2 times, but moved a joystick to keep connected. Is any other way to get that info ? Never could do or see more than this. I should have a list with flight info and be able to select and download specific one. Does anybody have a software to "extract the info" ?
I'm not sure why yours isn't working, mine exports the black box from the controller in about 15 seconds. From looking at the produced files I don't know if anyone can actually read them. Has anyone tried?

Reactions: Atty mavic pilot
Thank you MavicCF, I left it for 45 minutes and cancelled the shut down on the the RC several times, still the same showed up like on the previous picture. I ve heard there is somekind of software which helps in this case. If anybody has it or knows another way around please let me know.

The Mavic could have landed where you kept it hovering when the app crashed. This happened to me couple days ago with a new cable I was using between the tablet and the RC. I had a visual on the Mavic, app crashed, brought it back manually (in the future, if you don't have a visual on it, or you do but can't tell which way it's facing, use the distance display on the RC to bring it back manually), and as I kept it hovering not far from me, trying to restart the app, it started landing for some reason, and the RC displayed "landing" message, but I was able to cancel auto landing with the pause button on the RC. I know this doesn't help with finding your drone. My guess since the app crashed is that the "find my drone" feature didn't work. Msinger and 1 other pilot here are very good in helping locate lost mavics, good luck colleague.

Appreciate motopokep. Could have landed there. The only thing, when I couldn t control and looked that crashed, I went to look for it and left the spot (take off and app crash very close to each other) and was gone for about 15 minutes to look for the drone, till the connection got lost with the drone since the battery of the drone emptied out and shut down, no more signal. The mysterious part is that, the RC showed 105 m away is the drone regardless, where I went during the active/connection time. And you right, the find my drone app part was useless since I couldn t reconnect the app to the drone after closing. That s a great insight just in a similar situation. Appreciate

Last edited:
Here is the Txt file from Dec 19 2017, ( my last flight was around 4:45pm ) I have 3 of them on that date, I hope this is the last take off before the crash/disappearance. I have some .dat files as well if needed all from the dji app/my phone. They have different numbers
DJIFlightRecord_2017-12-19_[16-18-45].txt
DJIFlightRecord_2017-12-19_[16-14-35].txt
DJIFlightRecord_2017-12-19_[16-09-59].txt this one is uploaded, is this the last flight ?

Here is the link
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Appreciate the help

Here is the Txt file from Dec 19 2017, ( my last flight was around 4:45pm ) I have 3 of them on that date, I hope this is the last take off before the crash/disappearance. I have some .dat files as well if needed all from the dji app/my phone. They have different numbers
DJIFlightRecord_2017-12-19_[16-18-45].txt
DJIFlightRecord_2017-12-19_[16-14-35].txt
DJIFlightRecord_2017-12-19_[16-09-59].txt this one is uploaded, is this the last flight ?

Here is the link
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Appreciate the help

The flight times are in the filenames. The latest one you listed was 1618 (4:18 pm). The one that you posted was a very short (20 s) flight at 1609.

Reactions: Atty mavic pilot
That s what I thought of the app if it closed can t have info communication. Can be any info useful in this case, from the RC itself, meaning the black box ? Still something has to have the last moment data, black box it s for that at airplanes, why would be different at drones ? Appreciate

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR