DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Crashing Mini's just be aware if you have one

ShadowCat

Evil under the Sun
Reactions
It looks like the cause of the problem may be the flexibility in the arms used due to the weight restrictions DJI was able to keep within. The arms can flex due to the torque of the motors, causing the propellers to get closer to the drone body, and therefore rub against it.

It looks to be a known problem for some as a company has already produced prop mounts that raise the height of the propellers just enough to clear the body fully. There are also designs on Thingeverse that replace the soft foam inserts in the arms with stiff 3D printed plastic. Both of these options will likely set the Mavic Mini over the 250-gram weight limit.

Reactions: old man mavic
this has been an ongoing issue for some time ,i had prop strike a while ago and seem to have fixed it by stiffening the front arms, i left the foam insert in place and shaped an old bank card and stuck them to the back of the arms,this turns them into a box beam which is much stronger than just having 3 sides as per original,there have been several threads on this problem

this has been an ongoing issue for some time ,i had prop strike a while ago and seem to have fixed it by stiffening the front arms, i left the foam insert in place and shaped an old bank card and stuck them to the back of the arms,this turns them into a box beam which is much stronger than just having 3 sides as per original,there have been several threads on this problem
Possibly but as l fly mavics not a problem l have encountered. Dont go tampering with the setup too much or you might null and void your insurance and you will have to inform the authorities

Possibly but as l fly mavics not a problem l have encountered. Dont go tampering with the setup too much or you might null and void your insurance and you will have to inform the authorities
@ShadowCat that's not an issue for me both my drones carry OP ID and Flyer ID and i have third party insurance with FPV UK as for care refresh i could just remove the stiffeners and it would look like new and i also have a skin on it as well the 250g is not something that ever bothered me anyway

@ShadowCat that's not an issue for me both my drones carry OP ID and Flyer ID and i have third party insurance with FPV UK as for care refresh i could just remove the stiffeners and it would look like new and i also have a skin on it as well the 250g is not something that ever bothered me anyway
Ok cool as long as it works ok l guess

It looks like the cause of the problem may be the flexibility in the arms used due to the weight restrictions DJI was able to keep within. The arms can flex due to the torque of the motors, causing the propellers to get closer to the drone body, and therefore rub against it.

It looks to be a known problem for some as a company has already produced prop mounts that raise the height of the propellers just enough to clear the body fully. There are also designs on Thingeverse that replace the soft foam inserts in the arms with stiff 3D printed plastic. Both of these options will likely set the Mavic Mini over the 250-gram weight limit.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ccatt80