DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Deluxe lightweight waterproof folding launch pad

Wind resistance is one of the biggest advantages of the retail folding pads. Let alone the prop wash, they can withstand a significant amount of wind (without the stakes).

When I was doing trials with materials lying around the house while waiting for my retail pad, I almost destroyed my MA. I was coming in for a landing, a gust suddenly grabbed my "DIY" pad and flipped it over, barely missing MA. Had the craft been slightly lower, the pad probably would have taken her down...

And another thing I have learned so far is that there is no pad too big. The bigger the pad, the safer you are from the ground dust/debris and sudden landing drifts MA is quite keen on :)...

Last edited:
Reactions: Soonerdrone
View attachment 40993
I wanted something to take off and land on that would protect the gimbal and was quick to slip into the bag or pocket once my MA was in the air so made this out of a A4 sheet of Polyboard and Duck Tape. Leave a 1cm gap between the boards so it will fold. Seems to work okay.
View attachment 40994

I'm using a similar design, I use three small metal pins to hold it down to the ground.
landing pad.jpg

Reactions: ainaelon
I'll be honest have a commercial launch/land pad, it's great. But bulky and a pain. If the ground aint good nowadays I just tend to hand launch/land and never had a problem.

Honestly nothing makes more sense than hand launching/landing regardless of wherever you might be; yet I never had the courage to try it myself...

Reactions: Prospero
Really? I do it all the time, works a treat :)

Ummm... it needs a re-design. It worked okay on grass the first time I tried it but blew away on a dusty gravel path. Maybe a slightly heavier board.
Good start on design. LIghtweight and portable. Consider some anchor pins (stakes), placed at corners. Coat hanger cut to length, with a 90 degree bend, that could also be stored in the grooves of your polyboard for transport. Also reinforce the holes in board with duct tape. Just a thought.

Honestly nothing makes more sense than hand launching/landing regardless of wherever you might be; yet I never had the courage to try it myself...
My canine considers the drone legitimate prey, so I quickly learned how to hand launch and land. It's quite easy, despite the minor contortion involved initiating the motors.

As long as you can slide the slide, just use the launch button

As long as you can slide the slide, just use the launch button
I might be able to use the slide when I replace my antiquated Nexus 5 with a tablet. The phone's on screen virtual toggles and switches are not as responsive as I'd like, so it's easier just to press the left stick with my left index finger, and the right with my right elbow. Sounds odd, but it's easy.

Reactions: charlas
i bought a commercial one on amazon. was cheap, has 2 sides (blue/orange)

seems to work like a champ, perfect for landing on the front lawn. gotta practice my landing skills, I've missed it a few times landing half on half off lol

Reactions: Rogue_One
I got a great idea, why don't you make it out of re-enforced concrete and re-name your drone hernia.

Last edited:
i bought a commercial one on amazon. was cheap, has 2 sides (blue/orange)

seems to work like a champ, perfect for landing on the front lawn. gotta practice my landing skills, I've missed it a few times landing half on half off lol

Same here. I don’t see the need for a DIY one.

Reactions: Rogue_One
Makes sense to me too, but I still think it is risky.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu