DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Different standards (with 107)

RCKable

Reactions
Quick question.
If you get your 107 certification, are you now held to a higher standard of flying then someone flying as a hobbyist/recreational pilot?

When you have a part 107 license, you can choose for each flight whether to fly recreationally or if you're flying under the 107 rules. At least, unless there's a reason you can't choose - like, if you're desiring to fly within a restricted airspace and haven't gotten a waiver, you must fly recreationally and notify. The nice part is the opposite - if you're flying within 5 miles of an airport (or, especially, heliport) that doesn't have an airspace restriction.

Airmap now has a nice way to compare - go somewhere you might fly in app.airmap.io, and switch between Fly for Fun and FAA-107. Doing this right next to where I work in Pittsburgh, for instance, switches from just telling you to be careful around nearby schools (which Airmap warns about, but local regulations govern), to a list of 10 heliports you're supposed to notify before you take off. Under 107, there are no calls to make. But, further south, there's a county airport, which means I can't fly commercially at all, and still have a bunch of folks to notify if I want to fly recreationally.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78