DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

iamkpsquared

Reactions
Sorry in advance for this lengthy post. I was hoping that my first forum post would be words of excitement about my new Mavic (bought in December), however, I've had nothing by disconnects, random hoovers, and finally a full crash into a gazebo as a result of constant disconnects! I've read so many others who have had this issue.

I was flying my Mavic Pro (using a Note8) above our home to capture images of a recent snow here in Charlotte. (It was beautiful by the way.) I flew it around, within my line of sight, about 350 ft up, and not even a quarter of an acre away. When I brought it in to land it, it hovered about 3ft above the ground but would not go down. Hear a sound, look at the controller and boom it had disconnected. The drone tries to ascend but if it would have, it would have gone right into the edge of a gazebo. Sure enough, that's what happened. It starting flying rapidly forward and up and boom. Destruction. I had only used it for about 20 days, and maybe four flights.

This was not the first time in disconnected. Four days after purchase, it disconnected and reconnected about 6 times in a row while at my parents' home for Christmas. It is a wide-open, rural space. It ended up hovering above their roof for about two or three minutes before it actually connected long enough for me to land it.

Again, it disconnected from my iPhone X when I went to do a firmware update. This instance was about 2 weeks later.

I sent it off to DJI (didn't have Care Refresh on it), and of course, I got it back with an astronomical amount of work that needs to be done. The only thing that I saw damaged was the gimbal. The other parts worked including the motors and core board. the gimbal began smoking after turning it on the day after and gave the alert of "Gimbal Overload" which I've read about as well now.

DJI stated that 1. it had stable GPS connection, but then 2. something was blocking it from landing like a 3rd party accessory. I had nothing there to block it but the ground!!!!!

They just called and submitted it for a dispute, but that if after this dispute, whatever the invoice people is going to be what it is. I've never heard of this. For all that I know, they could just say that to make me feel like they're actually doing something. Like there is truly hope that they will see the drone kept disconnecting which is what caused it to go into RTH and then hit a building. It should have landed right where it was considering that is where it took off from.

Do any of you know of anything or could possibly provide any help?

Attachments

• smoking drone.jpg
    smoking drone.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 46
Reactions: joejaxvic123
Yeesh. Welcome to the forum. Sorry for your trouble. Hopefully it will get figured out.

Interesting to understand if you had the home point set and where it was set, did you manual set the home point or confirm it on the map ?

The drone behaviour suggest it was doing a RTH after the disconnect, but it doesn't usually ascend to RTH height unless it is further than 65 feet from the home point. In this case your home point might have been set somewhere else at least 65 feet away.

Reactions: iamkpsquared
Interesting to understand if you had the home point set and where it was set, did you manual set the home point or confirm it on the map ?

The drone behaviour suggest it was doing a RTH after the disconnect, but it doesn't usually ascend to RTH height unless it is further than 65 feet from the home point. In this case your home point might have been set somewhere else at least 65 feet away.
The homepoint was set, and I didn't set it manually. That is interesting now that you mention it. In fact, DJI stated that the GPS showed a strong signal as well.

I remember something though, as I was flying, it came up with a message saying Max Altitdue Reached. It was almost eye level with me, about 20 ft away. Something sounds fishy. But then again,this is the same Mavic that has disconnected on me multiple times with different phones and in different states.

The homepoint was set, and I didn't set it manually. That is interesting now that you mention it. In fact, DJI stated that the GPS showed a strong signal as well.

I remember something though, as I was flying, it came up with a message saying Max Altitdue Reached. It was almost eye level with me, about 20 ft away. Something sounds fishy. But then again,this is the same Mavic that has disconnected on me multiple times with different phones and in different states.

I think it just the incompatibility of the iphone x with DJI Go 4, all the disconnects sound like the flakey problems other pilots were having with the combination

IPhone X not working with DJI GO4 / Mavic

iPhone X support

Reactions: iamkpsquared
Yeah, "4.1.18 (432 Officialll". I think since I didn't get the drone the until end of December, it's the only version I've had.

I've had zero issues with my iPhone X.
I did once when I tried using my X. That was just for a firmware update, but the phone disconnected before it even got to do it.

I didn't even know that there were some stating compatibility issues. DJI Support told me over the phone they aren't fully compatible yet.

the first time I was try to flight with my first brand new Mavic Pro. The previous days I did the software upgrade of the Mavic as requested from the application, I m using an iPhone X. As I m traveling around the world, the weather was really good to make a nice footage in St. Maarten (Caribbean Island), so I prepared my self to flight, first the remote controller took a bit time to connect with the Mavic, I restart 2 or 3 times Controllers and Mavic together once I get finally connected I attempt to take off, the Mavic rich an height of about 15 meters steady for 5 second or less, start spinning around to 360 degrees without touching anything on the controller than he made a crash landing, likely me and my mate we where a bit far, was really scaring. While crashed the battery went off, gimbal detached and broken, few scratches around and few damage in the plastic.

Disconnected.......
The OP describes a disconnect at fairly close distance, that resulted in a crash, then continues to describe disconnects that are clearly just the phone disconnecting. The phone disconnect does not disable the mavic.
so why the crash? Did you shut off the RC after the phone disconnected while in flight?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS