DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Disconnected in flight - Mavic 2 Pro gone

worldtraveller

Reactions
Another one !!

Recently upgraded to the M2Pro after having the MavicPro and Phantom before that.

This morning I was flying as normal with good GPS signals and line of sight, over a very similar route to the previous 2 days. Even took off from the same location in similar conditions.

Got a message on the mobile screen that the drone had disconnected, same message on the RC too. Tried unplugging the phone and reconnecting, and also tried several times to restart the RC. Moved to a higher location in case there was something blocking the signal, and also walked towards the last location of the drone. Despite many attempts and restarts of the controller, I was unable to reconnect.

Interestingly, the RC did flash up a couple of messages after the disconnection, one about EMMC being full and another about returning the sticks to centre.

But the Mavic 2 Pro is gone. Another disconnection problem.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-06-27_[07-07-01].txt
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
and the flight information files.....

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-06-27_[07-07-01]csv.zip
    151.3 KB · Views: 9
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-06-27_[07-07-01]csv-verbose.zip
    290.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DJIFlightRecord_2019-06-27_[07-07-01]log.zip
    988.7 KB · Views: 5
Another one !!

Recently upgraded to the M2Pro after having the MavicPro and Phantom before that.

This morning I was flying as normal with good GPS signals and line of sight, over a very similar route to the previous 2 days. Even took off from the same location in similar conditions.

Got a message on the mobile screen that the drone had disconnected, same message on the RC too. Tried unplugging the phone and reconnecting, and also tried several times to restart the RC. Moved to a higher location in case there was something blocking the signal, and also walked towards the last location of the drone. Despite many attempts and restarts of the controller, I was unable to reconnect.

Interestingly, the RC did flash up a couple of messages after the disconnection, one about EMMC being full and another about returning the sticks to centre.

But the Mavic 2 Pro is gone. Another disconnection problem.
There are other threads covering the same subject

Since you restarted your RC, you likely have multiple TXT/DAT flight logs on your mobile device. The filenames will contain the date/time of your flight. Please attach all of those files here.

See these instructions if you need help locating the mobile device DAT files.

Reactions: charliesRig
Thanks for your reply.

I just had a look on the mobile phone and there appears to be only 1 .txt file from today. I saw that there was one .txt file for each of the flights today, but only one with today's date. So I assume that there were no more .txt files created after the disconnection. Also, when I look in a viewer, it appears to show the entire flight up to 7 minutes 35 seconds when the disconnection occurred.

Anywhere else that the .txt files could be stored, or is there only 1 .txt file for the entire flight?

thanks for your help, hoping to find out the cause of the lost Mavic 2 Pro,

Anywhere else that the .txt files could be stored, or is there only 1 .txt file for the entire flight?
It's not unusual to only have one TXT file.

How about the DAT files?

The plot thickens....

Very interested to see in the MCDatFlightRecords that there are no . DAT files from the Mavic 2 Pro....only from my previous Mavic Pro up to March this year. I did find a couple more .txt files from today in the Sync folder, but no .DAT files, uploading them as well in case they help.

Sorry for my ignorance here....I thought that I had been lucky over the last few years because I had escaped so many of the problems that I read about on the forums, so had never had to the need to investigate like this before. That was until today....

thanks again !

Attachments

• DJIFRSyncLog_2019-06-27_[07-56-09].txt
    5.8 KB · Views: 3
  • DJIFRSyncLog_2019-06-27_[08-12-19].txt
    621 bytes · Views: 1
Got a message on the mobile screen that the drone had disconnected, same message on the RC too. .... Despite many attempts and restarts of the controller, I was unable to reconnect.
Losing signal causes the drone to initiate RTH and it will return unless its RTH path is blocked by obstacles or has trouble fighting a strong headwind.

Another disconnection problem.
Your last record shows the drone in stable flight and with a clear line of sight to the controller.
The disconnected message almost certainly was because the drone had lost power and so would never reconnect.
Losing signal was not the problem, losing power was.

Thanks for your fast reply.

From what I can see on the logviewer, batteries were at 72% at the point of disconnection. Could a wire or connection have come loose during flight?? Conditions this morning were almost zero wind, although much warmer than normal due to the heatwave. Battery voltage was around 15.9 V.

There was also a very brief period when I had a few seconds of control after the initial disconnection. I tried to bring the drone back using only the distances on the RC, but after a few seconds that disappeared too. That makes me think that any loss of power was not instantaneous.

From what I can see on the logviewer, batteries were at 72% at the point of disconnection. Could a wire or connection have come loose during flight?? Conditions this morning were almost zero wind, although much warmer than normal due to the heatwave. Battery voltage was around 15.9 V.
It's going to be something like a battery not secured or the flight controller shut down.
The loss of power would have been sharp and sudden - that's why there's no data to show any loss of altitude or any unstable flight.
It just stopped flying.

Reactions: charliesRig
There was also a very brief period when I had a few seconds of control after the initial disconnection. I tried to bring the drone back using only the distances on the RC, but after a few seconds that disappeared too. That makes me think that any loss of power was not instantaneous.

According to the log file the disconnect was sudden and complete, with no prior warning. That suggests either a battery disconnect or a catastrophic failure of the FC. Battery disconnects generally seem to be preceded by battery status warnings or sudden flight maneuvers. In this case there were no status warnings and while there was a large pitch excursion around 5 seconds before the log ends, the aircraft was back in level flight at that point. So I would lean somewhat towards the FC failure explanation, which we have seen with a few Mavic 2s. The mobile device DAT file would be very useful to see if there are any precursor messages in the event stream - are you sure that you were looking in the correct directory?

Mobile device DAT file: How to retrieve a V3.DAT from the tablet

Thanks again for the information. I was using a Xaoami Redmi phone with the Mavic 2 and cannot find any other .DAT files, only the ones for the Mavic Pro (original). Is is possible that these DAT files were not stored locally on my Xaoami phone ???

I have started a support form with DJI so I hope that they can also see that it was a sudden loss of power. If it is a FC problem for some Mavic 2 Pros then perhaps DJI will offer me a replacement....the drone was only about 6 weeks old (bought on 14th May).

Guess who did not have Care/Refresh.....not that would have helped as the drone is now probably deep down in a lake.

Thanks for all your help to see what happened, much appreciated. Keep up the good work !

I will post the reply from DJI here when I get it....might help others to know the situation and resolution (if any).

This morning I was flying as normal with good GPS signals and line of sight,
Moved to a higher location in case there was something blocking the signal, a
These are the only statements in your post that confuse me. If you had good VLOS then why would you need to move to higher ground? What was between you and the drone?

There was nothing between me and the drone but moving to higher ground was just one of the things that I tried to see if I could get the controller to reconnect. I had no idea why it had disconnected but I wanted to try anything that I could think of that might help it to reconnect. Same thing as walking to nearer where the drone was...just trying things to see if they would work.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I have been in contact with DJI and they wanted (not unreasonably) to see all the flight records etc. from my telephone. Their replies were actually fast and seemed helpful. They also analyzed the data and came to the same conclusion as above, that the drone just stopped flying for no apparent reason. So at least there is general agreement that it was nothing that I did/did not do that caused the disconnection and subsequent loss of the drone.

But here is where it gets interesting..... they have offered me a 30% discount if I buy the same drone again (minus the battery charger). I have written back and said that as I did nothing wrong and it appears that the drone was faulty, then I would like a replacement drone free of charge. I am certainly NOT going to spend another large sum of money on the Mavic2 Pro if it can just fall out of the sky after less than 6 weeks.

So now I am waiting to see what DJI say. My final course of action will be to start a claim that the goods were faulty (=not of merchantable quality), as a drone at this price should last for more than 6 weeks. But I will wait and see what DJI say.

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

I have been in contact with DJI and they wanted (not unreasonably) to see all the flight records etc. from my telephone. Their replies were actually fast and seemed helpful. They also analyzed the data and came to the same conclusion as above, that the drone just stopped flying for no apparent reason. So at least there is general agreement that it was nothing that I did/did not do that caused the disconnection and subsequent loss of the drone.

But here is where it gets interesting..... they have offered me a 30% discount if I buy the same drone again (minus the battery charger). I have written back and said that as I did nothing wrong and it appears that the drone was faulty, then I would like a replacement drone free of charge. I am certainly NOT going to spend another large sum of money on the Mavic2 Pro if it can just fall out of the sky after less than 6 weeks.

So now I am waiting to see what DJI say. My final course of action will be to start a claim that the goods were faulty (=not of merchantable quality), as a drone at this price should last for more than 6 weeks. But I will wait and see what DJI say.

Unfortunately that's DJI's standard offer if you cannot send them the aircraft to examine, unless the mobile device DAT file can be shown to indicate a specific failure other than sudden power loss. I assume that you were never able to find the DAT file to send it to them?

No, unfortunately the only .DAT files that I have on my mobile phone were from the original Mavic Pro (1), nothing seems to have been recorded from the Mavic 2 Pro.

But if the 30% discount is the final offer from DJI then I will start a claim that the goods were not of merchantable quality. And it would also be the end of me using DJI products too. But I will see what the next response of DJI is. It is going to be interesting to see the end result in this matter.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000